1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One has to wonder if he overrates his poker face.

Maxey, who has played amazingly well for his age and being a rookie, was who the Rockets wanted as part of that deal and Morey didn't want to budge. It's possible he told Stone Ben/Thybulle and THAT'S IT and Stone...after weeks of this, just finally got the message that that was it and moved on from the Philly deal entirely.

I mean look at this report...Thybulle and Simmons, why do we want that again? I'd rather nab Maxey and send Simmons to some other team. Thybulle, whatevs, one dimensional player that not even Philly wants.

Richie_Rich, ipaman, BallaDoc and 4 others like this.
  2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Why? I don’t understand why would anyone would be mad at Morey.

3. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I'm going to trust our front office negotiators, Raph Stone and Eli Witus, to have made the right call on this one. They've been with the organization for a very long time, much of it playing essential roles in Daryl Morey's trades and negotiations. They know how Daryl operates, and can probably sense when he's dragging his feet.

Perhaps the Rockets were just looking to stockpile future assets (tank) and didn't value Ben Simmons as a true cornerstone piece long term anyway. Many people have voiced concerns about Ben's ability to step into that role. Personally, I don't think Morey would have even put him on the table if he really believed in his ability to carry the Sixers to a championship.

Was part of it personal for Tilman and the Rockets? Absolutely yes, I believe it. After all the back and forth about whether Morey would trade Simmons (assuring his star multiple times he wouldnt be traded even as rumors and leaks were flying), Morey reportedly informed his agent he was being traded. I assume that has to cause some sort of rift between GM and top player. Would not be surprised at all if that was done on purpose to stick it to Daryl for his perceived betrayal.

The Rockets send their regards.

ChillyPete32, roslolian and joshuaao like this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Lol Stone treated Morey like a casual fan!! :D

I love the amount of 1st round picks we got, but absolutely hate that we traded Levert for Olidipo!!

Personally would like to get Levine from Chicago!

Get’r done Stoney!!

Corrosion, hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  5. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

why would the Rockets give the Sixers their word when Morey himself f’d over the franchise left us in this mess after agreeing to an extension then telling the owner I wanna be with my family and stabbing the Rockets in the back again by taking the Philly job in less then a week? Yeah ok Morey, what comes around, goes around

J.R. likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yike, that's saltier than the water Tilman's new boat floats in :eek::eek::eek:

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

???

First of are you an insider? I like how you assume you know the Sixers deal or even if Rox thought Oladipo was gonna be a franchise player.

I mean if all it would take to get franchise player Oladipo is Lavert and 2nd and you get 4 picks, 4 swaps and Rodian Kurucs as a bonus guess what I'm taking Oladipo.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you think Stone is incompetent you're the one incompetent

A. FA: Wood, Tate, Stone, Cousins
    B. Trades:
    1) WB for Wall + 1st
    2) RoCo for Wood+ FRP
    3) Harden for 4 picks, 4 swaps, Oladipo, Rodions Kurucs

Incompetent all because Morey didnt get a call back? Yeah right :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. csc177

csc177 Member

Yes, they “value” his expiring contract.

10. likestohypeguy

STONED him.

Someone put his face on the smug morey looking back meme.

sushimaster likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, that was a **** trade for Harden. It's possible that he's not incompetent, but that he had orders by Tilman to not accept a Philly offer, but if thats not the case and the story of him not getting a counter before making one of the all time important trades for our franchise, then yeah he's incompetent.

HP3 likes this.
  12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

This sounds like typical Morey. How many years did we hear the oh we had a deal in place and then the other team screwed us.
    He sucks at closing deals and when he does he often over pays.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm just relieved Simmons isn't here.

Simmons might be relived he wasn't traded. Do you think this experience scared him enough to put shooting in his game? To improve his value, to better fit Embid. He may have avoided the axe now, but if another opportunity comes along to Philly, Morey will still consider trading him.

ipaman likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm a big fan of Simmons and believe he can be the 2nd or 3rd best player in a champ team (guys like Bosh or Dray still made the max and were worth it) but the package Rox got for Nets is guaranteed to be better simply because Simmons being in the deal would ensure you get less picks from the deal.

Like what's the absolute best grandfather offer from Morey?

Simmons+Thybulle+Maxey+3 FRP?

Sorry but I still take Oladipo, Rodians Kurucs, 4 FRP and 4 swaps over that. Thybulle and Maxey are nice players but tbh they dont scream future all star to me. And if they arent all star caliber I dunno why we should jerk off to yet another good guard like bruh we already have a bunch of 6-4 promising wings. If we just want a good pg guess what we got Oladipo who is only 28, extend that dude and voila theres your superstar.

If these guys are really valuable Morey wouldnt trade them for Harden simple as that. Look at Celtics or Miami didnt give a crazy offer thats cuz they do believe their players are also pretty good.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Simmons taking 1 three point a game now. He is coming along. Its not like there's a pressing need for him to be super amazing he is only 24.

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Imagine being Simmons hearing your team doesnt want you and the only reason youre still there is because the other team didnt want you either lol

Richie_Rich, mario_v and hakeem94 like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i'm not buying that story ... aside from it validating brabra:
    • no way Morey tells an agent of franchise player who doesn't want to by traded to "expect it".
    • Do the internets think us Rox fans don't know him?
    sheesh ... come on. someone on the internet is protecting their insider status/brand

Richie_Rich and Easy like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

Average career of a NBA player is about 5 (4.9) years. He's in his 4th year, (really 5th, but we can skip his rookie year since he injured his foot and didn't play).

He may play longer than the average, but window can be short, it doesn't always end because of old age.

People used to say Embid and Simmons are 1a and 1b. That seems to be not the case in the eyes of Sixers org. If Simmons was really that cornerstone (supposedly also less health risk), it'd be Embid on the chopping block. But nope, Morey knows which player is the keeper.

I'm just glad Simmon's not a potential Rockets problem.

#98 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    HP3 likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

A lot of the first round picks are also not that good. Woods doesnt even match our timeline either. He'll be asking for more money and wont get it. Literally the only good signing this dude had was Tate and that's it.

HoustonWest likes this.
  20. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Why don’t people think this is Morey covering his ass for not giving up Maxey for Harden?