1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Felt is an interesting choice of a word. Either they did or didn't and nobody would know more than the sixers.

sirjesse and BigggReddd like this.
  2. csc177

csc177 Member

Turns out they probably knew both (expiring and not wanting to be here) and will move him if not by deadline, the end of year.

#rebuild

Corrosion likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I don't mind the Rockets sticking it to Daryl Morey.......... unless it hurts the Rockets too, then it is a stupid pissing match by Tilman to stroke his ego.

A real leader gets the best deal for his his team..... let the Sixers counter and if they don't have the best deal, then tell them to **** off.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

They did not trade for Oladipo knowing he didn't want to be here.

They traded for Oladipo because they value him.

They plan(ned?) to target another player to fill out the roster a little more with young upside, alongside Oladipo.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Well apparently (twitter sources :p) The Kings were involved so it was never about Simmons.

I'll take the picks they got over Bagley and the picks they would have ended up with. There was literally no way to get a better package of picks. They got swaps every year they could and picks in every year they could.

If that was the ultimate goal and not to add a young guy like Simmons (cheapskates IMO) then they couldn't top that.

Now let's see if they find a way to go get Herro or MPJ.

Mr Woods and Nook like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

ferntits broke mad af

tap dat assets

D-rock and Nook like this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

More likely we liked Brooklyn’s max offer over Phillys max potential offer.

Philly could not offer any picks 2024 or later, or swaps 2025 or later. To me, that is actually most of the value of the Brooklyn offer. Not the early picks/swaps or Oladipo. Those later picks/swaps have the potential to be Jaylen Brown - Jayson Tatum type players.

Also, something I thought was interesting, instead of taking Brooklyn’s 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027 picks with swaps in the even years, we choose to switch it and get one less pick but 1 more swap.

Why does this matter? With picks now in 2022, 2024 and 2026, we now have at least 1 first round pick in every year. This basically fixes the issue created from Houston trading its own 2024 and 2026 picks to OKC. Houston can no trade picks in ANY years without restrictions. Even though we gave up a 1st to fix this we still maintain all of the upside with the the swaps.

8. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

Brooklyn deal is the better deal, and can lead to a better player. Hell those picks got James ****ing Harden

Simmons would absolutely not fit with our current team. He needs to play point with 4 elite shooters to be effective.

Harden WANTED Brooklyn. That gave him the best chance to win. Philly with just Harden and Embiid? It's nice, but I wouldn't put all my chips in that bag. Houston did Harden a solid by trading him to Brooklyn, moreso than to spite Morey. IMO.

bballjunkie and Htown's Finest like this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love how the board is really split on this deal. Some of us are happy with the Brooklyn package and all the picks, some are upset that we didn't take Simmons. Good stuff.

Amel likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

We dont even know what else could have been offered. I would have at least liked to let them make a counter offer, this is bad business.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morley is spending time with family not James Harden remember...

sirjesse, Amel and treyk3 like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

eh, I'm not mad about it if it wasn't about Simmons.

The Rockets apparently didn't want Simmons and he didn't want the Rockets.

Let Morey have egg on his face if it was only about the picks.

Now go get Herro and/or MPJ this season some time.

PeterKingX and pantherheat1022 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I have to say that I have ZERO desire to watch Victor Oladipo play for the Rockets. He really isn't very good, certainly not someone to build around.... I hope that they trade him... I would far rather see the young players get minutes..... as for everyone wanting to know where the "Oladipo wants to go to Miami" crap came from, during the off season Oladipo leaked that he had no interest in remaining in Indiana and would rather be traded to Miami or LA" ..... later Oladipo's agent tried to walk it back in large part because they wanted to see if Indiana would pay him the max or close to it........ At this point Oladipo is nothing but a 3 point shooter that can score some from inside the arc off picks..... he is a terrible finisher and has lost athleticism, but still thinks he is a star.

The idea of Eric Gordon and Victor Oladipo on the floor together makes me want to throw up....... one team can only have so many clueless garbage perimeter chuckers on a team.

There is a report teams want to trade expirings for Oladipo.... I hope that the Rockets can turn around and flip him for a #1 pick.

This deal was good for Indiana, getting LeVert and getting rid of Oladipo.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

The premise itself is flawed. There's no requirement for a team in trade discussions to offer anyone a counteroffer before accepting a better deal.

If you want to make a trade, come up with a better initial offer. Morey knows the risks involved in trying to cheap out.

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

Ego and luxury tax saving is why we don't have Simmons...What an awful owner Tilman is!

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Good, I didnt want him either but I would have liked to see what other assets they could have used for Simmons.

Maybe Morey would have relented on the picks man.

We arent getting either. Nothing to trade, Denver has no need for those picks and neither does Miami.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Most likely not.

MPJ is a target still though. Rockets know what it would take more than us.

Herro, I'm not sure if he's a target still. I'd like to flip Oladipo and a pick for him and Olynyk.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Furthermore, the idea that Oladipo doesn't want to be on the Rockets is just an extrapolation of the above.

Which is more clickbait-approved:

"Oladipo said a while back that he wants to join the Heat"

or

"OMFG! Oladipo does NOT want to join the Rockets!!!"

Jayzers_100, joshuaao, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

[​IMG]

20. dmoneybangbang

Really? I just don't see Tilman being in a position to hand out "competing for the playoffs type contracts" this season or next.