1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's Comments on Morey and D'Antoni's Departure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apollo33, Jan 15, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Although, it seems like @Clutch and @justtxyank believe that Harden was already bent on leaving before their departure.

Take it for what you will. My personal take is that Harden pondered on leaving after the Lakers series, the departure of Morey and D'Antoni sealed his fate. He pretty much said the people he had trust in were gone so there was nothing left.

I think Morey would have still traded Harden, but I would have been more comfortable with Morey staying and rebuilding.

2. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Dude is a liar, he initiated this rebuild. He says himself he re-evaluated the team after the loss to the bubble. What he's saying in the press conference is very inconsistent bc he is lying out of his butt.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You know. Harden doesn't know what us fans debate. Sometimes we read these quotes as if he's responding directly to us and our narratives.

that comment and the below tweet are from same press conference. I don't see how they are contradictory. The departures force you to evaluate even more. this would be the same if I was unsure of wanting to remain at my job after some failed business plan, then later after the CEO bolted. (this actually happened to me once.)​

i don't want to get in the middle of these GARM narratives (truly have no take or desire to partake), just thought the two comments should be included, and don't seem contradictory to me.

#3 heypartner, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    DrivenBlue, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He can’t come out and say that those were the two who coddled him and when the Rockets made a change and wanted to change the team culture towards more accountability he wanted out.

So he said that instead.

kjayp, Crashlanded19, CHI and 2 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

MDA and Daryl Morey leaving the Rockets played a big part in Harden not wanting to return to the Rockets.

I have some say Harden was very close to T. Brown. While that is true, the people that James Harden had CONFIDENCE in when it came to running the Rockets, and putting the Rockets in the best position to win were MDA and especially Daryl Morey. A lot of the stuff coming out is from the Rockets organization's side, and that is fine and to be expected. I will just say that there is more to it.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

not contradictory ... see my post above

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BINGO!

D-rock likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

TRUST.

10. Nook

Nook Member

This is exactly what it is.

I am saying this and I am not saying Harden was right or wrong to want to leave.

The reality is that there was a perfect storm that led to James Harden leaving the Houston Rockets.

Once MDA and McNair and especially Morey were gone, the trust that the Rockets would put Harden in a position to win a title was gone.

I wish that there had not been petty smear comments released by the Rockets and half truths about Harden. Likewise I wish Harden had hired an agent earlier and appeared in camp and provided a drop dead date for him to be traded..... neither thing happened.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

12. raspar

raspar Member

Sorry Blames, you don't get to rewrite history. Just keep going to Hardee's and keep eat your monster thick burgers.

kjayp, J.R. and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I do think that after the WB trade, Harden was good as gone, Morey did some cute patch work with Covington but it was obviously not enough.

Regardless of Morey and Dantoni, this team isn't contending this year. I think Harden would have been eventually traded, but it wouldn't have ended as ugly as it did.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Correct.

Even Daryl Morey years ago talked about the fact that James Harden is someone that takes a long time to build up trust and confidence in.

That trust (and more importantly confidence) existed with MDA and more importantly Daryl Morey.

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thank you for you words corroborating this up @Nook!

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock, Nook and 2 others like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The real issue is that Tilman will use the WAY James departed as an excuse to not learn a single damn thing from this. He'll blame James for blowing things up, and play the victim to the fans all while slashing payroll, knowing full well he now has every excuse to field a garbage ass product for the next several years. The man only wants to win on HIS terms, and that means no luxury tax, no investment into the fan experience, and no investment in supplementary scouting and development. If he can't win a championship that way, he'll be happy to just cash the checks he receives from other teams that are "dumb" enough to pay the LT. ****ing scumbag.

17. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I still don’t understand why Morey left when he had just extended his contract. Didn’t Tillman have his back regarding the whole Hong Kong tweet? Couldn’t they just patch whatever differences they had? Basically we still could have Harden if Morey at least was still here. I’m sure D’Antoni was on his way out regardless though.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden forced cp3 out

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Trust”/“Comfortable” = “They let me do what I want”, “Involved in decision making”