1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luhnow Interview on Sign Stealing Scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 18, 2020.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Agree, this was a very good podcast. It was well done and informative. Luhnow shared more in the episode 6 part 1 podcast than he did in the local Houston interview.

Also, nice to get conformation on the theory that the media targeted the Astros after the Taubman/Footer incident saying that someone else told Apstein(ESPN reporter with Footer), “Don’t worry, we’re not done with them yet.”

raining threes likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All the while nobody was saying anything about the Dodgers ML scandal that they were actively suppressing.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/...ler-los-angeles-dodgers-philadelphia-phillies

raining threes and Nook like this.
  3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bottom line...... The **** happened on his watch. He sounds like a puss whining about others getting away with it. The suspension was warranted. Getting fired over it is a quarrel between he and Crane and whatever happens there happens.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What about him getting blackballed yet others are now getting jobs?

That is actually the issue.

raining threes and msn like this.
  5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And this whiny interview where he isn't acting like a leader and shouldering any blame isn't helping him attract new employers.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Astros were stupid to try and not pay him his remaining contract $$$. I don't know what they settled at (and we may never know) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was very close to the $20 million he sought.

9. raining threes

Doesn't matter, he's been blackballed. He was changing the industry and the establishment are getting their pound of flesh.

Dont believe me, the Mets GM job is open, Is there a better candidate for the job than Luhnow? Nope

I'm just glad he got his money.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

This.

Not really happy we have been deprived of seeing what one of the best, if not the best front office minds would have done in baseball.

It is absurd, the fans of the game aren’t even aware of how common cheating is in the game. When I worked for the Astros it was rampant. They cheated on their wives and girlfriends. The pitchers cheated with substances and even superglue on this hands. The hitters cheated by modifying their equipment and stealing signs. Both pitchers and hitters used steroids and HGH. Half the players used some form of uppers. The Astros had separate cold coffee only for players with a green push on the release. It was right next to another cooler of cold coffee without a green push release.

In the last handful of years the Dodgers have been implicated by Noah Syndergaard for cheating and stealing his signs. The Milwaukee Brewers have accused the Dodgers of cheating. The Justice Department is still investigating the Dodgers involvement with illegal activities in the amateur draft. The Dodgers have covered up rape allegations by their minor leaguers. Walker Buehler was accused of cheating by ESPN during the playoffs. Riggleman and Calloway have accused the Dodgers of stealing signs. Logan Morrison, a long time player said that the Dodgers cheated.

That is just one team. I used them as an example because they have been the most outspoken about the Astros.

Bobby Thompson’s epic homer was a result of cheating.

It IS part of baseball and every single team does it but Luhnow was made an example of.

So hell yeah he deserved his money and you better believe teams were cheating against the Astros too. The Cardinals did. The Red Sox did as well and likely the Dodgers and Yankees.

11. msn

msn Member

Where is the national mediot piece delivering this common sensical, logical perspective to the spoon-fed, reactionary masses?

Nook, arkoe and raining threes like this.
  12. SuraGotMadHops

This is absolutely true, I used to work the Astros' player's will call at the ballpark, I won't say when or which ballpark so as not to implicate anybody - but I was SHOCKED at how many guys, including married ones I would never peg as the cheating type, had left tickets for cleat chasers and baseball Annie's.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I kinda assume it for all professional athletes (I realize there are exceptions) do this. Between the amount of time spent away from their wives and the relative ease they can draw in attractive women, it has to be tempting. I'd be curious to know how many spouses are okay with it.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im sure there are very few naive ones out there but a diamond bracelet goes a long way to remedy much of that, Im sure...

15. Nook

Nook Member

I cannot really say how it is in the NFL or even the NBA as I have personal experience with MLB. With baseball it is extremely common close to every single player. The majority of the players wives were not okay with it. I suspect many of them suspect it though, they just don't want to know.

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If my daughters ever wanted to marry an athlete, actor, artist or politician I would strongly counsel them against it. I think it is just literally impossible to expect
    Monogamy from someone on that position. Unless they didn’t care in their marriage if their husband stepped out. But I don’t think many women are actually wired like that. I hope my daughters aren’t.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

(What he said)

“See that wrinkle/crease?! That’s a buzzer! See that confetti?! That’s a buzzer. They were wearing buzzers!”

MEDIA: They were wearing buzzers!

desihooper likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's crazy that Luhnow is effectively out of the league permanently even though he's probably in the top 10 percent of what he does and Cora just got his job back with the Sox and was directly involved in the cheating. Luhnow must have pissed some people off.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

ya the media hated luhnow, same as how Hinkie who's a top 5 GM in the nba hasn't been hired again either

rockbox and raining threes like this.
  20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I had a buddy who worked in the minors and while the majority of players were single, he had stories like hotel maids lol,