1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Tilman Fertitta ownership different than Les Alexander ownership?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I guess this is where we get into who do you believe. I remember @Nook stating that ownership got cold feet on this one and took a minute too long to pull the trigger and another team came in and made the deal.

snowconeman22 and HP3 like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When Les knew it was going to be too expensive, he sold the team.

Tilman knew the expenses coming up, bought the team anyway, and didn't do all he could to win and let a contender rot.

If Tilman was not going to do what it takes to win, then don't buy the team. Simple as that.

HP3, Ziggy and Reeko like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So if Les didn't want to pay the tax and Tilman shouldn't have bought it if he wasn't going to pay the tax, are you saying they should have disbanded the Rockets?

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

NBA should have approved a buyer that was willing to pay the tax for a contender. Tilman over his head.

ksny15, HP3 and Reeko like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Tilman couldnt AFFORD to turn this team into a championship squad. He should have never bought the team to begin with.

A real life Jackie Moon.

Ubiquitin and ksny15 like this.
  6. justtxyank

So the NBA should step in and strip the Bucks ownership? The Celtics?

I wish we had an owner that didn't care about the tax, but this standard seems crazy. Most teams don't pay the tax.

JayGoogle, J.R. and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not giving broke Tilman a pass here. You certainly are within your rights to approve of his ownership and how he conducts himself

HP3 likes this.
  8. justtxyank

I don't approve of either one but I think saying the NBA shouldn't approve an owner that won't pay the tax is extremely unrealistic. I mean I wish lol. Us and every other fanbase.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Les - gives money to PETA. Has good teams.
    Tilman - keeps a white tiger in a cage in downtown Houston. Has bad teams.

NEXT.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL man if this was just about being cheap this woulndt be an issue and everyone knows that. Its a combination of being cheap(when we really needed not to be) and interfering with Morey.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Why is Patrick in the front office then? To clarify(not to you but to others) him not being "hands on" doesnt mean he's not there for important decisions with the team. This is a black and white way to look at this.

12. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

The only real difference is that Les isn’t a clown that would get so bamboozled by DM that he would get him out of his contract to send to another contender and light the fuse for the implosion of the franchise. Also he wouldn’t be openly flaunting Trump support which is basically throwing dirt in the face of most of the players.

None of them were going to keep Ariza for 25 mil plus lux tax expenses and neither would any other front office in the league, if you don’t understand that you are stupid.

(Caveat being the DM move could be for china money but by the fact that Tilman seemed blindsided and the reports of animosity towards philly, it assures that he got hoodwinked on a national stage and made to look like a total dumba$$ after talking the big talk without having done anything as an NBA owner yet)

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I didn't mean it in a hostile way.

I know it's the Mavs but Cuban could have been with any other team.

I think you give leeway to someone like Fertitta but won't do the same to Cuban.

I didn't put Cuban above anyone in that success 'category' because he wasn't as successful as other owners. As you pointed out to be fair.

I said his way of dealing with players is pretty good.

Well, guess what, he wanted to get younger. That is his right.

Why are people so sensitive, I mean guys are complaining about breaking up a team that had Ariza which wasn't even a championship team.

I knew for a pretty much a fact that Peja was retiring.

It was definitely just Shawn Marion, Stevenson, Barea, Tyson Chandler who were all close to 30 or beyond.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Were you ok with giving Ariza 15 Million?

Ariza was expendable though.

I do believe that was a great team but if you watched the age structure closely you would come to realization quickly that you would still have half of the team over 32 years.

You'd have to get younger at some point. It sucked but that is the consequence of not going through the draft since Yao.

Easy likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think it's more of the other way around, Cuban is a good owner, but I brought up him because no one thought so until he won a title. Until that point he was just a brash egohead that always had something to say. He did break up that team to chase younger stars and it turned out he made a mistake...just like he made a mistake with Parsons...but he has goodwill from the title to make those mistakes. I think he's made another mistake with Porzingis too because that guy is never healthy.

If Tilman wins a title, by luck or whatever, all of a sudden the narrative changes for him too.

And I agree, I don't know why people are sensitive. We need to move on from the MDA/Morey era, it's over and done with, and people have to see that guys like Ariza and Luc were just done with, had little else to give.

It's just every move the Rockets make Tilman is always the scapegoat...even moves that people agree with, like the CP3 trade, most of the board here were done with CP3 and approved the trade...and yet it's all people bring up about him.

Rockets4Life13 and J.R. like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Houston is the biggest market in Texas.

Dallas and SA are behind.

This decade they won a ship, they drafted Luka, they got Porzingis, if they can get another Allstar caliber player or at least talented Top 40 player they'd be set.

Dirk also made one Finals and WCFs prior to the Championship last decade.

They're one of the best teams this decade with potential of being great next decade.

That is a dream position to be.

Exciting for fans. I am not even being envious because my interest in the NBA has greatly waned from a watching perspective, I still talk about it though.

#156 daywalker02, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The issue is Porzingis never plays. He's actually a unicorn, he's always hurt or returning from an injury. I don't remember the last time this guy was in fit shape and just playing for a huge chunk of games.

He's a strong contender for least durable player every year. The issue for Dallas is they spent their assets in getting him and he might be damaged goods. Until he proves he's over his injuries I have no reason to believe he will be. Being that tall (As Rockets fans know) comes at a risk to playing this sport. He's only 3 inches shorter than Yao, believe it or not.

18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

One thing folks need to keep in mind when comparing Les and Tilman is that Les owned the team for a long time and I'm sure learned plenty of lessons about how to do it through experience. In a hypothetical scenario where Les is a new-ish owner (and that's key here) here's how I think he'd have handled some of the more controversial moves/results on CF from Tilman owning the team.

Not signing Ariza - 99.999% chance Les would not have re-signed Ariza. Someone can check my math but when you factor in tax payments made plus not receiving tax payments I think you're talking like a financial impact around a total of $45 million for one year of an older declining player who might be close to league average at that point. Les never remotely showed a willingness to spend like that, especially early on.

All the trickle down trades to basically get rid of Anderson's deal to get under the line - I don't know. I think Les would have done that too but I'm less certain.

MDA leaving - Les had tumultuous relationships with coaches. I doubt MDA survives the Lakers series. But I also doubt we'd have had the publicity of MDA's extension negotiations last year.

Morey leaving - Les likely would have made Morey resign over the Hong Kong tweet.

Russ trade - Tough call but I also think he does it. Les was focused on splash/sizzle (i.e. wanting us to play like the Suns without having the personnel for it) and short-sighted competitiveness (i.e. wouldn't let Morey bottom out).

tinman and J.R. like this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly
    Also many teams have fired or got rid of Mike D’Antoni
    His best non Rockets team with the Suns got hip checked out of the playoffs by Robert Horry and Popovich

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That’s a whole lot of snot!! o_O

[​IMG]
    :eek:

Less had a phobia against socks!!