1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Assuming Watson won’t refuse to play, Brandon Staley is who I would hire. I got to see him with the Bears and and then he went with Fangio to Denver.

The best DC in the NFL is Vic Fangio and he really groomed Staley and gave him a lot of responsibility in a small period of time.

When Fangio left Chicago there were a lot of players upset Staley was gone as well. He really connected with people well and made them feel special and players said they wanted to play hard for him but also said he was very bright.

Red.Glare, itzIce, zeeshan2 and 9 others like this.
  2. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Jalen Ramsey and Deshaun Watson are very close. Ramsey has been on record calling Staley “a genius” and one of “the best coaches” he’s ever played for. I think Daboll ends up with LAC, which leaves us with(my personal order by preference):
    Staley
    Bienemy
    Brady
    Caldwell

Staley is my number one choice. TexansThoughts on Twitter has stated that Staley would likely bring the run game coordinator(Mike Mcdaniels) from SF to be his OC which obviously is a variant of the Shanahan/Kubiak zone blocking scheme. I think Deshaun would THRIVE in this scheme with play action, bootlegs, and that our run game would be resurrected with multiple holes opening up. I hope Deshaun has reached out to Ramsey to hear his opinion. I think Staley will be a perfect fit and be able to scheme his way into a decent defense until we can infuse it with more talent. Also, Rams likely lose this weekend to the Packers which means he will be able to interview next week while Bienemy will likely be unavailable to interview for at least 2-4 more weeks.

Arthur Smith has been offered the ATL job so that leaves LAC, HOU, DET, and PHI

3. Fantasma Negro

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This is a candidate to join possibly Staley

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Texans have really put themselves in a bind in that they have basically committed themselves to waiting on EB. Might be a good thing where Cal can't hire the first coach who tells him they go to church every Sunday.

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bring him in! Coaching ability aside, it would be nice to have someone in there that commands respect and hopefully adds some common sense to that building

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Staley with Wade for a year would be ideal to help stabilize the defense.

Nook, UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Not buying that the Texans are interested in Bieniemy. He simply would not be the cultural fit this organization is looking for (obedient black man who knows his "place"). I have no proof but just a very bad feeling that they are going to settle on Josh McDaniels. We could very well wind up with both McDaniels AND Patricia (DC). I'm going to throw up now...

11. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Huh? Could you please elaborate. Not being funny, just genuinely curious as to what you mean.

12. HillBoy

The "culture" at the Texans is one composed of white evangelical Christian "values" (thanks to Easterby). In such an environment only certain types of black men are acceptable - black men who are subservient to the white men in authority are acceptable. Black men who conform to their idea of what a black man should or shouldn't be are acceptable. That's why Easterby orchestrated getting rid of Hopkins because he wasn't a "good negro" in his eyes. Never mind the fact that DHop was a premier talent on the field - he wasn't "Christian" enough for the preacherman. That's why Bob McNair was in total lockstep with his buddy DJT with the fake issue about players taking up Kaepernick's kneeling during the national anthem - calling his players "inmates".

A black man in a position of authority is not acceptable. That's why BoB couldn't wait to get rid of Rick Smith - telling him that there was "no longer a place in the organization" for him 6 months after Rick took leave to care for his wife who was terminally ill with cancer. I see nothing that convinces me that anything has changed in this organization under Cal. Bieniemy would simply be a token hire for face saving purposes only. He'd be setup for failure from day one. Not for one minute do I believe that he'd be given the same opportunity that this organization gave BoB.

UTSA2step likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Staley has become my #1 choice.

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

drama queens here have concocted a caricature of the organization as diabolical and racist, when really it's just general incompetence and personality defects

15. texans1095

texans1095 Member

There's been so so many reports clearly stating McDaniels will not be their next HC. I understand the concern given the desire to stay away from McDaniels, but I really don't think there's any reason to believe he's being seriously considered at this point.

16. HillBoy

I hear you. It's just that I have this impending sense of dread...ESPECIALLY after Cal just came out and said Easterby is not going anywhere.

texans1095 likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

So that makes just the Chargers and Eagles as the two other teams who have yet to hire a HC, correct?

If that's right, then we're looking pretty good to hire either EB or Staley as long as Watson likes them/they would want to be here. Those two guys are absolutely my top 2 with Daboll and Brady as solid backup options.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

I thought Joe Brady was a done deal and was just waiting to talk to Deshaun before accepting? ;):rolleyes:

Rudyc281 likes this.