1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone ever taken a work sabbatical here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Jan 15, 2021.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep....6 weeks. It was about 15-20 years ago.

RedRedemption likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

4 years.......I sold my company and wanted a year off, ended up being 4 years - where I posted too much on this board, played a ton of golf with really old dudes, and basically got fat.

I did however reconnect with the family as I had been traveling a lot for work, I coached all my son's youth teams......and that part was awesome.

I have since gone back into the work force and started a company that let's me work and be involved.......so overall, I would NOT do that again, I would find a job that let's me do both.

DD

#3 DaDakota, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    ryan_98, Rileydog, CometsWin and 3 others like this.
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

If I apply now , I will be eligible for a 3 months sabbatical leave by Feb.2022 under some conditions like
    if there's a substitute,work load situation , no summer time, can't change employer within a year after taking the leave and most likely the plan will be busted if a colleague take 18 months maternity leave

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yes, I work on the sabbath.

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Do quippy one-liners impress you, as you don't seem to be a god fearing, red blooded american.

Mr. Brightside and Xerobull like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who fears god? When God is love?

DD

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yep. A couple times.

Made $20k in a week when I was in my early 20s (~25 years ago), had $$$ in the bank leading up to that, took six months off. Partied, had tons of sex with women I can't remember, traveled a little, it was generally an amazing blur.

With my 2yo I took Paternity leave. I had tons of PTO saved up so 12 weeks were covered. My wife recovered fast and the baby was easy, so for the most part, I just enjoyed my time with my family, got into better shape, focused on my businesses (which I don't consider 'work') and had some serious man zen time.

Highly recommended. While I don't prescribe to 'work to live' because I like staying busy, but you need that mental time off from the rat race.

I do also get 2 weeks a year off for Xmas and a week for Thanksgiving, and those are mini-sabbaticals to me. We don't travel, I just rest, heal and don't think about work.

Rileydog and RedRedemption like this.
  9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I've either worked or been a student full time since I was 19 and began summer internships. I've got quite a bit of vacation, but I tend to only take off 2 weeks at a time, max. The biggest time off I've had is when I jumped companies in 2015, I scheduled my start date at the new company 3 weeks after my end date at the previous.

I sometimes think it'd be great to take a 6 month sabbatical, but I'd certainly not want to do it during COVID. My company offers the option for Directors and above, but a lot of stuff has to fall into place for me to be able to actually pull it off. Additionally, there's always the risk in the higher levels of a company that someone will try to come in and get your job.

I think the good news is that at my current company, the schedule is very flexible and I can basically set me own hours. Additionally, I have no limit on vacation as long as my group keeps producing. Luckily I have a high performing team, so that's usually not an issue.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

sir, i'm proud to be an american where at least i know i'm free.

B-Bob, CometsWin and donkeypunch like this.
  11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

most of 2020 really...but don't tell my employer

sammy and Blatz like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've taken one several times. I took a 9-10 month hiatus to drive around looking for good catfish, bbq, and chicken fried steak (lol), and a shorter 3-month hiatus just to chill out and play games and take more road trips around Texas. My final sabbatical was back in February when I showed up at work, sat in the umpteenth stupid meeting, just said "yup... this is stupid", saw COVID-19 getting crazier, and turned in my resignation. I've been sitting around at home reading, learning, and watching investments at home since. I'm waiting for the pandemic to die down to start doing some volunteer work and/or, if possible, get a job working at a hospital or brokerage or something.

Yung-T, Rileydog and RedRedemption like this.
  13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I sabbatical daily...from about 8:20am until 4:55pm.

It's so refreshing. Everyone should try it.

RedRedemption, Blake, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

COVID killed my business so we moved to Sweden and after about a month or so of working to wrap everything up I’ve been doing nothing. It’s been great having time to lick my wounds and recharge. In my adult life, I’ve never taken more than a few days off so it’s been great hanging with the family and resting my mind. COVID doesn’t allow us to do much so I’m starting to get bored. I figure I’ll start looking for something new in the next few months but I have no idea what to even look for, in a new country where I don’t know the market, and have a highly limited network. It will be a fun new adventure.

sammy, B-Bob, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member

Your story is fun and excited to hear how this all goes. Youve been there 6 months at least. So far so good?
    1-10 what is your rating up to now

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sadly no. Been working consistently for 22 years after college, with a week or two between the three different companies I have worked for in that time. Really regret that I never took any real break

sammy and RedRedemption like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

took this fall off to take a number of longish hunting trips. Don't know if that qualifies as a sabbatic but it was really good to be off-grid for several months. would like to make it a regular feature from now on every year until I retire but not sure if that will be possible

Buck Turgidson and RedRedemption like this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A sabbatical is a break from work. To me, it’s a total disconnect. No thinking or talking about it.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Then it seems like Os hunting would count... unless he was hunting colleagues?

20. Buck Turgidson

Yep, 3+ months down south

Houston to San Jose to Tamarindo (possibly the greatest month of my life) to somewhere in Nicaragua (lots of AKs) to somewhere not in Nicaragua (none more AKs) to Quepos to somewhere in the jungle to Arenal to multiple somewheres to San Jose to somewhere on the coast to Tortuga? to Bocas del Toro to Panama City (highly recommend) to South Beach Miami to Austin 2004 ACL Fest

Jaco and Arenas are solid areas, now that I remember.