1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it even possible to be top 4 bad?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, Jan 15, 2021.

1. paboy1984

paboy1984 Member

we don't tank in Houston buddy

2. paboy1984

paboy1984 Member

lmao yall killing me with going all in on being TRASH

3. dmoneybangbang

Of course there is.... it would just take buy in.

We play awful defense. I wouldn't let the Spurs game fool you about our offense.

4. paboy1984

paboy1984 Member

yall are pathetic

5. dmoneybangbang

That sounds awful. Just bottom out and maximize the a top pick instead of wasting time trying to get pennies on the dollar back for Gordon and Wall.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree. I'm not saying the coach or the players should tank, but if you get rid of Oladipo and play all our youngsters heavy minutes we will give ourselves a chance at a top 4 pick. Even if we don't get it, guys like Tate, Brown, Nwaba, Wood get critical minutes to shape their games. The last thing I want is a re-build with mediocre draft picks the next three years.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I hope this was sarcasm. Hakeem and the Astros for five years would disagree.

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Regardless this season is a waste (if the goal is a championship) without the rockets keeping their pick. The Rockets have no valuable assets apart from draft picks so trades aren't going to return them to relevance. There are no franchise changing free agents so their cap space is only valuable facilitating trades for nominal returns. That leaves the draft.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Almost this entire roster is either trying to establish, or re-establish themselves. I think these guys playing well and inflating their trade value is more likely to benefit us long term than failing and hoping we get lucky.

10. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Ever heard of .500 bball? That’s us.

back to the good ol days of getting 9th seed and picking 14 in draft..

Oh how I missed those pick 14 days.
    Lol I’m still in denial hoping harden too fat to pas physical

napalm06 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Yes it is possible for the Rockets to be one of the worst 5-6 teams in the league. Under the new lottery odds the Rockets still have a decent shot at a top 4 pick even if they are the 5-6th worst team in the league.

This Rockets team will likely play hard in general but they lack a lot of things to beat all the good teams in the West. Also there are injury issues with Wall and Cousins and I would include Wood in that group.

The Rockets really need to root for the Heat to continue to have problems and the Thunder to finish ahead of the Rockets.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I actually think we agree here. Not sure how you read what I said.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Totally disagree with this statement. We have offensive talent in all star level but our defense is horrendous. We will win if we hit our threes and lose when we don't. More often times than not with this group of shooters we will not.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes, ESPN predicted wed be #1 bad

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wowzers. I'm expecting an 8-11 bubble team like the old 2010-2012 days. The conditions were very very similar. To get even up to 6-8 I think we need another rebounding big and Oladipo would have to find some consistency.

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

Not trying to be a dick, sorry that's how it came off. I just see the idea of competing now as being so short sighted. It's frustrating that so many are proponents of that route. Remember, the only thing that saved the rockets from even more years of irrelevance was pulling off what most say is the biggest highway robbery in decades (the harden deal). We fans aren't likely to be so lucky again.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

What?

We got rid of the worst perimeter defender on the team and got someone who will instantly be the best roaming defender on the team in Oladipo. He is a smaller version of RoCo defensively with active hands and incredibly quick switches. Wood covers the rim protection from RoCo/Oladipo will cover the lanes.

Wood brings positive things even though his size and communication are issues. He is overall a net 0 and not a negative defender. Only negative defenders I see on the team are Ben and Boogie and neither are an effort thing. I'm guessing we have a top 10 defense once everything clicks if this team sticks together (it won't, Tucker won't be here long)

Wall (plus defender) / Brown (plus defender) / McLeMore (negative defender)
    Oladipo (super defense) / Eric ( Plus defender)
    House (level defender)/ Nwaba (plus defender)
    PJ (super defense) / Tate (plus defender)
    Wood (level defender (plus rim protection and perimeter switching defense and negative post defense) / Boogie (negative defender except rebounding)

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How do you think Ralph & Hakeem became Rockets ?

The Rockets are The Reason there's a draft lottery.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Problem is the high likelyhood that you don't even keep the pick because of the obligation to OKC.

Unless that pick is in the top 4 , we're going to end up with Miami's pick while OKC gets their own as well as our own.

The odds of that pick being in the top 4 are slim as this team is pretty good compared to the rest of the lotto teams. The team with the worst record has a 50% shot of being in the top 4.

Next year the Rockets have full control of their own pick , that's a much better time to tank it up .... in the mean time you collect as many assets as possible.

20. dmoneybangbang

That's fair. I think the likelihood is higher than you, as I think we are a really bad team defensively that will have hot and cold nights offensively.

Dipo trade still kind of hanging out in the aether, without Dipo and then Tucker, I see the Rockets being pretty bad. It would take some effort to be top 4 bad at the end of the season no doubt.