1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Exactly, people are gambling on the notion that the Nets will be bad when they literally rebuilt themselves not having picks.

2. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Maybe they'd trade Simmons for bona fide shooter and all-star Victor Oladipo

treyk3 and CarlosGM like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Simmons is shooting 33.3 percent between 3 and 10 feet and zero percent between 10 feet and the 3-point line. That trend goes back to his rookie season.

zeeshan2 and banzai like this.
  4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

What’s your evidence?

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm willing to take the gamble. If we lose, we lose.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Marvin Bagley! Woo!

[​IMG]

Sadboy likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

I was speaking emotionally at the time. I still think this deal is bad and prefer the Philly one way WAY more. BUT...there is chance this works out. But...I dont believe that it will. It was a bad gamble. The Nets are not incompetent.

8. Mr. Space City

i'd rather just have harden gone and rebuild from the ground up than foolishly build around a 12 ppg scorer.

jakedasnake likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

I am not. I dont like that we are depending on a good organization to fail. That's not a good nor smart gamble. Even you know its not.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Without having any idea of the number of picks, or the protections on it, it's impossible to gauge.

Those unprotected picks 4 years out are where all the value in this trade lies.

No, we're counting on an organization needing to rebuild after their stars get old, which I think is a very safe gamble. If it implodes early entirely even better, but we don't need it to. The Nets were terrible very recently.

11. HP3

HP3 Member

If they can sign at least one of those starts to stay than this is over. If they win even won chip than this is over. Sean Marks is not an idiot, they knew what deals they made. They are not a poorly run organization. At best you will get one high pick out of this and even that is a gamble. This was not a good deal to me.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

For the reasons why we wouldn't want Simmons, wouldn't other teams have the same qualms. Not saying no teams will take him, but the market could also be limited.

Anyways, I'm kind of less interested in the what-ifs, since the Dipo deal is already done.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I believe it's a calculated gamble. I'm no fan of Ben Simmons and I sure as hell don't believe his value will be any higher over time. Ending up with Ben Simmons and 2 semi protected FRPs would not have sat well with me.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Rockets needs to take the Philly deal today, stop waiting for Harden's value to drop and end up in Brooklyn for nothing...

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think it's a bit different if you're a team like, say, the Kings (as @Nook reported) that already has players on their roster to build around Simmons. You put Simmons at the 4-5 spot with Fox and Hield in the backcourt that would have been pretty entertaining. For us, since this is a complete rebuild, you're looking to fill at least 2 spots in the starting lineup that can complement both Simmons AND Wood. And if we're seeing first hand how a talented big plays with Simmons, the results aren't that promising unless you load up on a ton of shooters.

HP3 likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

To be fair, Im not saying that I wanted Ben Simmons, I just believe that you could flip Simmons for guaranteed assets. I think we could have gotten more draft capital as well...like actual draft capital that could actually land us in the top 10. As of now we are just gambling on low draft picks and the "hope" that BKN is incompetent.

17. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Everything is hindsight. The deal is done. Tilman saved money. Ben Simmons can't shoot, TF you want a star like that? We're set up for the future as long as Stone can draft at a respectable level. We have a squad now we can root for. Our superstar ditched us and it's time to move forward. The championship goes through the Lakers anyway. We must stay respectable and be ready to compete for a chip within 5 years

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It looks like the Rockets agreed with you. They were trying to flip him to Sacramento.

HP3 likes this.
  19. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

The trade has always been about the PICKS. You can disagree with the rebuilding philosophy, but if the following is true, the Rockets never truly viewed Simmons as the cornerstone piece going forward.

I would probably have taken that Phil, Sac deal had McNair unprotected the picks though. (Presumably Morey going to Sac to find picks for Ben was to compensate for not giving Maxey, so there would have been no Maxey in this path.) Bagley + Sac Picks + Philly picks + Thybulle + fillers.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member