1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2021.

?

Do you like the James Harden trade?

This poll will close on Jan 13, 2026 at 4:17 PM.
  1. YES

32.1%
  2. NO

25.8%
  3. Ask me again in 5 years

38.9%
  4. Abstain

3.2%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Well, you didn't have to miss it for long.

fchowd0311 and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  2. AkeemOlaDROwon

Stupid question in regards to the pick swaps. Are the picks that we currently have during the swap years unable to be traded? For example, if we traded a 2023 1st away tomorrow then in the off season traded back into the 2023 1st round, could the latter pick cover the swap? Or could we obtain a 2023 1st from another team, still have our pick, and give the Nets the worst one out of the 3 picks?

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was clamoring for the Philly/Boston deals, all the while thinking anything NJ could offer would be woefully inadequate.
    After reviewing the haul though, I've revised my opinion...especially under the circumstances.
    First off, upon hearing about Kyrie & KD landing there, my initial thought was KD won't make it through a year without major injury. I still believe that.
    On top of that, while having loads of talent, Kyrie is bonkers.
    I always thought this to be a tenuous pairing.
    Now, in addition, they've lost Lavert & much more importantly, Allen...who isn't easily replaced.
    Interior D will be non existent barring a trade of Kyrie which I see as inevitable.
    There's absolutely no doubt that they will score a ton of points, but they'll give up a bunch too. (Sucking across the board on D)
    James is going to have to subjugate his game to fit in with these other two ball dominant players....diminishing his true value on the court.
    Also, there is a chance however remote that both KD and Kyrie could be gone after one year.
    When you combine the risk of injury, potential for mental squabbling/implosion, on court fit, and inability to add more talent...
    I like the bet against them over time...a lot.
    The 24 and 26 FRP's could be really good.
    And the 25 & 27 swaps are genius.
    Oladipo can be swapped for more assets at the deadline, allowed to expire creating more cap space, or reupped.
    The APPARENT commitment to true rebuilding really has me excited..and relieved. (It might happen a little sooner, as we do have flexibility)
    Obviously, this is tricky on our end with OKC in the picture, but I believe the long game is the right play.

#923 Plowman, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    fchowd0311 and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/Bill-Worrell-Jeff-Van-Gundy-James-Harden-trade-15871183.php

• Worrell on how the trade compares with previous Rockets deals: “We've pulled off some whoppers before. Moses Malone wanted to win a championship, and he did it the right way. He talked to management about it, and we had a chance to flip a coin for Ralph (Sampson). So we took the gamble and then we won the coin flip.

“I would consider that one of our top (deals) in terms of players we received back. And then also the Otis Thorpe for Clyde Drexler trade, which even though it didn’t involve a lot of players was a blockbuster because you're getting a Hall of Famer and he did win a championship here. It turned out to be a great trade for Houston.”

• Worrell on what he expects from the Rockets after the trade: “I’m looking forward to seeing guys who want to play with each other. When they’re all together, they can be pretty good. (Victor) Oladipo will come in, and it’s not a difficult offense to run. He should fit into the whole concept.

“(Thursday) starts a brand-new season. We’re set to go into the future, and those draft picks can be put in other deals. If John Wall is all the way back … and you have Christian Wood, who is a nice find, there are building blocks. We’ve got hope, and now we see what happens.”

• Van Gundy on how Harden should be remembered for his time in Houston: “He should be remembered as one of the all-time greats in our league. The Rockets traded for the sixth man of some really good Oklahoma City teams, and he developed into a perennial MVP candidate who got his teams deep in the playoffs and won an incredible number of regular-season games.

“He should be remembered fondly. You don't have to agree with how he worked his way out of town or the last chapter of the book, but just because the last chapter of the book wasn't good reading to you doesn't mean the first chapters weren't spectacular.

“The guy is one of the most spectacular, authentic players we've ever seen or most likely will ever see. And he changed how the game is played. And that's hard to do.”

• Van Gundy on the potential for the Rockets’ trade acquisitions: “I think what you're going to see in the short term at least is an uptick where the Rockets play terrific basketball. I think Oladipo will be excited.

“I think the other Rockets players will be excited that this drama is behind them. I think Stephen Silas will breathe a sigh of relief that the two stars that were demanding out have now been dealt and they're actually starting their season. I think they're going to play really good basketball. I think they're going to be exciting. I think Oladipo will play well. I think John Wall will play well.

“Does that mean they're a top four seed or a championship-caliber team like we've grown used to with Harden as the linchpin? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean they can't have a good season and we can't enjoy watching them play.

“You know, there's nothing wrong with watching a pretty good team get all they can out of their capabilities, and that's what I'm going to be excited for. And that's all that like Stephen Silas can do. Their front office was dealt a bad hand. Daryl (Morey) leaves, and they take over and their two best players went out. With all the circumstances that were against them, they did as well as they could.”

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

#925 J.R., Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"It's far from a good bye as I pay all of my debts" - Harden going to pull a Lebron and come back?

Kidding of course...

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

So you are saying there's a chance he's coming back?!?!?

ReturnOfTheMac likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Would rather have Oladipo and a boatload of unprotected picks than Bagley + Maxey (maybe?) + protected picks? Let's face it, the only team willing to give us all picks unprotected was Brooklyn. Morey and the Kings GM was not going to give us multiple unprotected picks.

J.R. likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

did he just learn the word indebted or what? Sorry redundancy is just a pet peeve.

11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

If Kyrie implodes that team we should retire his jersey at Toyota Center with a ceremony. The oddest thing is if it implodes and our decks are cleared and we have talent, what’s to stop Durant and Beard from coming back here where the cupboard is full. Pipe dream but savage possibilities.

malakas likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im banned on Twitter so I couldnt jump into the thread with @DonKnock and @Nook, but if Tilman hated the CP3 contract why in the hell did he jump into an almost identical deal with Wall? I get the whole "Russ wanted out" thing, but Fertitta is contradicting himself every step of the way. SMH.

Just a matter of time before Wall is moved too then I hope.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Because he was trading an equal deal for an equal deal, so in his mind it didn't matter. Westbrook had zero value this offseason. I guess maybe Charlotte scoped the possibility but then they ended up with Lamelo and threw that idea out the window.

HP3 and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Don’t sell yourself short, Harden. Geeze.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright fellas, can’t wait for the James Harden is lying to come out

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

HP3 likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. HP3

HP3 Member