1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oladipo traded to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jan 13, 2021.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Let me guess... you're a Celtics fan? You can GTFO too if you're a Celtics fan. If you're a Rockets fan.. what am I talking about.. you signed up here like 12 days ago. You're here to talk trash and watch the dumpster fire. I have no respect for your rubbernecking ways!

BMoney, Uprising, Astrodome and 3 others like this.
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Kevin O'Connor report also is based on what? He had desire to play for them to get out of Indiana months ago.

What if he finds Houston a suitable place and turns out to be a place he can grow with and have a good roster by him, while the rockets build around Him, Wood, and Wall?

3. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Crazy thing is the league is talking about expanding by 2 teams biggest problem with NBA is the super teams. I mean all guys want to join a ready made contender or group with 2 super stars.
    I think a hard cap needs to be instituted like the NFL.

clutchdabear, CarlosGM and Pringles like this.
  4. itzIce

itzIce Member

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

Haven't put too much thought on it, but I do think a hard cap provides a lot of parity for the NFL..

...unless your organization is being led by BOB and Easterbunny.

BHannes2BHonest and clutchdabear like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I want to re-iterate.

No matter what KOC's article says. The initial plan was NOT to re-route Dipo to a third team immediately from everything I heard.

The plan was to bring him as a third All Star Level player (Wall, Wood and Dipo) and use some of the new picks (There are 7!) to add more young talent.

I don't know if that's still the plan or if things changed but everything I heard said was that the Rockets love his game. Could that be fluff? yes. I don't think it was though. i think there are some delusions in the front office and organization that injuries are not a concern and every player we got this offseason with those red flags are just as good as they once were in their minds (Wall, Boogie, and Dipo).

I would have preferred someone a little taller and not just an upgraded version of Eric Gordon who we already have, but I don't call the shots and sadly as far as I can tell, none of us do. LeVert impresses me more than Vic but I'm a pretty steady doubter in his game.

This team really isn't that bad as constructed. We went from delusions of championships the past 3 years to delusions of being a second round team. I think the team is going to be a 8-12 seed and fighting for a spot in the play in when all is said and done. Should be a mildly fun season and sadly OKC doesn't look as bad as we all thought and luckily Miami as of now doesn't look as good as we thought so maybe the swap won't be too bad. I think all three teams will be mediocre in the standings.

#486 treyk3, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Awesome post and thanks for the insight. He seems like a good dude and I don't blame him for wanting to get out of cities like Orlando, OKC and Indy. I would assume Houston is closer to what he is looking for in terms of market and role but not sure what Rockets think about that. Oladipo looks pretty healthy to me from what I have seen so that is good to see. I like that he is a good defender with active hands. His defense, upside and expiring contract are more valuable to us than Caris Lavert. I see the light now.

awc713, Patience and don grahamleone like this.
  8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea alot of the tanking crowd ,JOH James Harden Only fans are not going to like Victor here trying to be Harden Replacement. They want to sulk and talk about harden being everything GTFO.

But if he is healthy and plays that type of game he is capable of id assume him either getting contract here, and rockets try to get him to buy in. They have the necessary picks and they can attach to a package maybe just taking on salary this summer for someone to come in to be that guy. Only time will tell thou..

One thing is Victor wants the max, i just dont know if he will get this, that is the factor for maybe moving him to like a team that would be willing to offer him that max. So if he is gonna want the max he will have to showcase himself in Houston. He might blow houston away and get alot in a trade of they will lose him to free agency. Or they could just outright sign him with his bird rights and convence him to sign. If they sneak to the playoffs, here hoping he signs a ok contract so they can afford some other great players.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I see us as very similar to the Spurs. Both have two aging borderline/former all stars and are competing for the 6-8 seeds in the playoffs. I can go either way blow it up and trade all the vets or keep Wall and Oladipo until the Nets picks bear fruit.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So you're saying there's a chance...

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

OK, fair enough. **** Danny Ainge, I think we can all agree on that!

#491 Patience, Jan 15, 2021
    don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can a player somehow sabotage this? Like, if Levert doesn't want to play for the Pacers, can he do something about it? lol

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He can say he only wants to play for Brooklyn to the media.

Then he can wait a few weeks and add Philly to the list.

Then he can go to Atlanta during a pandemic to celebrate a mediocre pop rapper's birthday.

Then he can go to Vegas the next night. This has to be at the start of training camp though

Then he can add Boston and Portland to his list.

Then he can go and celebrate his home girl becoming a boss.

Then he can come into camp completely disinterested in buying in.

Then he can pretend to buy in.

Then he can lose miserably to the Lakers, sulking the whole way through, even going as far as trying to force a trade to the Lakers. Then when the team finishes, he can take the stand and say it's crazy and we are trying to find the guy who is killing chemistry but there's no chance his slob team mates can compete.

Then he can have his two best friends, one old coach who he loves and calls a father figure, the other a middle age fat dork who he calls a father figure go on a bidding war.

THEN he can get traded. So I guess... strap in?

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Hm, I suppose they could pull a Tonya Harding on themselves? I don't know how else you sabotage a physical without causing long terms problems.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

They are no Harden hahah that guy was disrespectful to the organization that made him.

No need, they play like professional's, Victor is going to be a free agent, so he will show the league he got what it takes to be payed. Levert is going to like playing anywhere where he can show the league hes the next big thing not be stuck behind Durant Shadow, i bet he trys to be the new next thing at the 3 spot, and try to get him a max at 30.

#495 Le$$, Jan 15, 2021
  16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Would be hilarious is the trade has to be cancelled and then Denver comes in and gives Murray and mpj. Just let me dream, it's been a rough week lol

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Here are the issues with Oladipo:

1) He wants the max. This is literally the single biggest issue because he's not an elite player. He's Jimmy Butler lite. Good defender, super high energy, infectious on the court...mediocre offense that can disappear.
    2) His off court stuff is apparently super important to him and is a main driver for why he wanted out of Indy. He wants to be in a sexy market for his music career and his off court investments. Houston is the least sexiest big market in the NBA. We're like a beautiful girl that just has a bad walk, wears baggy clothes. All the right measurements but zero sex appeal. Not clear to me if the market size is enough to make Dipo happy here.

Overall, I like Oladipo as a third piece on a good team but he wants to be paid the max. I don't know the team's direction the next few years so it's hard to know what to do with him really.

joshuaao, ilias and Chamillionaire like this.
  18. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

If the trade gets cancelled we would get Levert. Harden is officially gone.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oladipo isn't here for any other reason but to be a valuable asset at the trade deadline.

The only way I see him staying in Houston is by magically making this team a Championship contender lol.

Chamillionaire and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My initial reaction was to say that as well. I think I said on Twitter that I would be floored if he was here past the deadline.