1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Continue to get the young guys playing time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4Life13, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Rockets4Life13

Since we're not about winning at all costs now, we should really give players who were previously not in the rotation (a.k.a. Mason Jones and K Martin Jr) playing time.
    ´They both looked very promising in my opinion, Jones' game is smooth as hell and K Mart has some amazing athleticism and his finishing ability is really good for his young age.

I just fear they will be put at the end of the bench and don't see playing time other than garbage time. Am i wrong about this?

randerson likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like the young guys. They give us a chance to win because they're playing with heart and pride. Keep it up! (I think Silas will and we don't have to worry about it)

Nice game, KJ Martin!

yixiixiy likes this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I was really surprised by Martin. He has way more game right now than I thought and I’d like to see if he’s really as good as he looked last night.

4. Rockets4Life13

We didn’t have the option to let young guys play since we had Harden but now we have the option to find that rough diamond and let him develop into the real deal.
    It’s honestly refreshing to see.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

at 19 the fact that Martin can even sniff an NBA floor is huge. Also his athleticism really is next level.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. dje243

dje243 Member

He is insanely athletic and looks to have a good touch around the rim. Needs to bring it under control but that should come with time IF he gets the right kind of experience and coaching. He's going to be an exciting player.

7. payaso

payaso Member

Tate-8-lookin' great.
    I know he's not the babyfaced kid the other two are (well, uh, maybe not Mason Jones and his Oden face) but watching Jae'Sean is finding a $50 bill in the couch cushions for me right now. I'm seeing the cagey, shimmy-juke twitch in his post moves that I haven't seen here since Sam Cassell. He'll make my All-Floorburn Team this year- he looks, and plays, eaten up with the game. Great roster value.

8. raining threes

I'm sure he will get plenty of mins after PJ is traded at the deadline

9. AXG

AXG Member

I honestly didn't expect much of our young players, but they've impressed me, especially Tate.

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nothing I’ve seen from our young guys makes me believe there is a conflict between playing them and winning.

Jayzers_100 and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Young guys should have always had a chance to play. That was a downfall of Dantoni.

A lot of contending teams have had young players or rookies seeing consistent minutes.

Hopefully Silas and this regime is better at developing and giving youth a chance.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He is actually 20 now but yes I agree. Did not expect him to be capable of playing decent minutes even though we were short handed. Silas showed a lot of confidence in him and he delivered. Definitely helps provide length and athleticism to this team and was rebounding well and played solid D too so that was promising to see. Not sure we will see as much of him but I think Silas should look to play him some on games when Wall, Gordon and/or Oladipo sit.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Ok trading pj is the right move but we can’t afford to lose anymore good perimter shooting

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Definitely
    To me it is all about developing confidence
    And skills

I think they there
    They will be good.

Rocket River

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  15. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

as long as silas doesn't try to give broderic thomas any run... the guy looked like he wouldn't even belong in D1 ncaa when he played the first 2 games of the reg season. him and bruno were atrocious.

mason jones' smooth game really does translate well to the nba and hopefully he'll get more mins. kj martin still has lots of work to do but his athleticism really does stand out as elite, even at the nba level.

BamBam and randerson like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Can judge him off that. I want to see what Broderick can do now without baggage