1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(POLL) The deal is done - your prediction for the rest of the year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jan 13, 2021.

?

How will the Rox finish the year?

1. Tanking and trying to see how low we can go... that swap is top 4 protected...

37 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Mediocrity - miss the playoffs but not bad enough to have a real shot at a top pick...

90 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Sneak into the playoffs and a 1st rd exit...

62 vote(s)
    29.5%
  4. A couple more moves and we can contend! Maybe not a chip but we're in the mix...

21 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Hope we tank. It’s the quickest way to get back in contention. The next two drafts are stacked!

Rocketeer likes this.
  2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It wasn’t a viable strategy for the team while Morey was running it. Now it is. I’m not saying tanking is always the answer, but we’re destined for years of mediocrity if we don’t get some high draft picks quickly.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Now or later , take your pick...

I don't think they tank this year .... too risky that they'd send a top 5 pick to OKC. May as well see if you can rehab Wall's value and maybe move him for an asset if possible. Move EG when the time is right too (maybe next year)..

I do think they tank it up next year when they have their pick clear , that is also the draft that high schoolers are available in again , should be a lot of talent in that draft.

saleem likes this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

As far as movements:

There's talks of Clemons might get cut.
    Couple guys might be sent down to the G-League.
    There could still be a trade or two this season.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , they get the two better picks of their own , ours and Miami's.

We'll end up picking in the mid to late 20's.

saleem and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They have to spend a minimum of 90% of the cap. The cap is $109.1m meaning they must spend at least $98.19m.

saleem and CCity Zero like this.
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

sheesh.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This team gonna end up in no mans land unfortunately.

Too good to be bad, not good enough to be great. :confused:

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, sorry man, I was making more of a joke. I'm sure even with Tilman he'll still be closer to the cap vs the actual minimum etc.

10. PatBev

PatBev Member

We end up like last years thunder

11. Driven

Driven Member

I chose Mediocrity. This team doesn't have the ability to tank as long as Wood and Wall are out there. I certainly think that their current roster is good enough to make the playoffs and maybe even win a playoff series. But I dont' see the benefit of keeping guys like Tucker or Gordon if there are takers for them. I assume they will try to flip Oladipo as well, although it's possible they just see how things play out with them.

With 'Dipo, this team can certainly be a top 8 seed. Without him, it would be nice to still make the playoffs but it's not the ultimate goal. Houston has a lot of options and it will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

One thing I loved about Morey is that even in his "tanking" years, the Rockets were still a very competitive team. I think we have a similar makeup here. A couple years of 8th seed type of talent, and then hopefully some of these picks being accumulated wills start to kick in.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Morey got away with not tanking because he was able to pull of the trade of the century to get James Harden... If Presti doesn't gift us an MVP, we were about to tank... I don't want to bet on Stone being able to pull off the same magic that Morey did years ago. The best/quickest rout to becoming contenders again is by tanking. A top 4 pick this year gives you a really good chance at drafting the next guy that can be the face of a franchise (Cade Cunningham and Jalen Suggs are the guys I have seen the most and I think they'll both be allstars, Cunningham might be the next big thing). Getting to a point to where you can build around Wood and one other young star should be the goal. Everyone else on the team at the moment is expendable.

saleem likes this.
  13. Driven

Driven Member

I agree that everyone is expendable besides Wood, but Wall ain't going anywhere. Unfortunately, we're stuck with his contract.

saleem likes this.
  14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You’re probably right. I’d love to see us give him full reigns, maybe inflate his stats a little bit lol. Maybe someone bites in the off-season if we tac on one of our dozen picks.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14th in Offense
    15-18th in Defense

Rebounding stays about the same.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At this point
    You cannot guess on record
    But win percentage.

40-50% of the rest of our games.

Rocket River

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

im a tru fan, i think rox will win a championship every year.

BamBam likes this.
  18. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Remember when we thought we were in the LeBron James sweepstakes? We might actually be in it now, the LeBron James Jr sweepstakes

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've come to terms that we're in a rebuilding period. I had that feeling as soon as D'Antoni and Morey left.

If we play better than expected and get in the playoffs I will be pleasantly surprised but not expecting much.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7th, 8th, 9th, 10th seed take part in the Play In tourney.

It's easier to make that.