1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rodions Kurucs Is A Diamond In The Rough for Rockets Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jan 13, 2021.

1. heads.up

heads.up Member

I was impressed by him and Joe Harris when they came to Houston and beat the Rockets. His ceiling is probably a solid rotation player.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

It never fails: Anytime we do some big multi-player trade, someone on CF tries to hype up the throw-in or salary-matching guy.

#62 topfive, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Great! We don't have to worry about he has the DD curse. :D

Maybe @Williamson will have his new Only Fan target!

topfive and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Deckard says everything from that newspaper is a lie . . . I paraphrase:

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It was said that copious amounts of evidence was produced. Charges were brought. We never heard of them being dropped. It would seem that he entered into a plea bargain.

Yung-T and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

https://hoopshype.com/storyline/rodions-kurucs-arrest/

Looks like the accusations did happen. There was no evidence presented or even claimed to have been obtained. There's always the chance that this was a witch hunt after a break up.

EDIT: The couple flew together to Las Vegas the day after the alleged event. The charge was not filed until after the break up was finalized two months later.

I would likely be the first Rockets Fan to jump ship if a substantiated domestic abuse of a female occurred with the team's knowledge and no action taken, but this does not to appear to be anywhere near that type of case. However, if a new charge came up I'd be all over it. This one doesn't appear worthy of jumping as it may have been fictionalized or overblown.

#66 don grahamleone, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    raining threes, Moe and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

has it ever happened tho that salary filler become a real deal?

8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The next Dmo!

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We trade away the best scorer in the league and we're going to put our hopes in a guy averaging .6 points a game.

Hope springs eternal.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

FIFY

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He looked okay during his rookie year, but he's trash now. Doesn't even look good in garbage time.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That is a lie! :eek:

The New York Post leans towards sensationalism, and while I do think my description was largely accurate, nowhere did I say “everything from that newspaper is a lie.” I’ll add that were I to get my large birdcage down from the attic and inhabited it with birdies again, I wouldn’t hesitate to line the bottom with the print version of the New York Post. For that purpose, it is well worth buying.

don grahamleone and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I may have exaggerated a bit :p

Deckard likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You just lean toward sensationalism. :D

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

His name is obviously Soviet code.

Rodions Kurucs = Dick Run So Sour

[​IMG]

Jayzers_100 and RudyTBag like this.
  18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

does that make you rock hard like a diamond in the rough?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It makes me a geologist.

studogg and redrogue like this.
  20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0200729-o5rmegcn4bfxxl5b3n26dzrjyq-story.html

Positive article about Kuroc trying out a new position as a stretch 5.
    In a rare set of circumstances, Nets big man Rodions Kurucs is both new to this and true to this.

Kurucs, who said he had never played the center position in his life prior to entering the Orlando bubble, has impressed in each of Brooklyn’s three scrimmages ahead of Friday’s season re-opener against the Orlando Magic.

He stuffed the stat sheet as backup center to Jarrett Allen, finishing with 13 points, six rebounds, two steals, two assists and a block in the Nets’ 112-107 loss to the Utah Jazz on Monday.

“He’s done a great job with the transition,” said Allen, who finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds of his own. “We’re asking him for a lot to go from playing like a 3/4 to playing the 5 now.”

Most notable for Kurucs, the second-year player from Latvia, has been the consistency with which he has drained the three ball.
    “I think it’s just huge for the spacing on the court. With Rodi at the five, it’s a mismatch,” said LeVert. “He’s got such great speed and he’s making better decisions as well. We trust him with the ball up top, whether he shoots it or puts it on the ground and makes a play for somebody else. But it just makes the court that much bigger when he’s knocking that shot down for us.”

For Kurucs, his play is a revelation. The Nets drafted him 40th in the 2018 NBA Draft and signed him to a three-year, $5.1 million deal. His status as a G-League assignee on a team with a need for a stretch four put his future in question earlier this season.

Kurucs has now added a new position to his repertoire, having learned how to play as a floor-spacing energy player. If this is the kind of play the Nets can expect consistently out of their second-year player, there’s always room for three-and-D bigs on a championship contender.

Shark44 likes this.