1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Trump-Supporting Family/Friends/Colleagues - Did 1/6/21 Change Any of Their Views?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ima_drummer2k, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have some very vocal Trump supporters in my family and, no, it didn't change a thing. I thought for sure a failed coup attempt would finally do the trick, but....yeah, no.

They were pretty silent while it was actually going on - waiting for their assigned talking points to be settled on, I guess - but a week later and their views haven't changed a bit. Sadly, many of them are filled with even more resolve.

I really don't understand how so many otherwise intelligent people have fallen for Trump's lies and conspiracy theories for so long and how the events of last week didn't change a thing.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Got a text from one at 1130pm last Friday that he was moving to Telegram 'with everything that's going on'

Guy doesn't have a job, three kids, on the government (and my) teat. Only thing he has 'going on' is being a loser.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

My aunt and my brother are a couple of these Trump bobos. I haven't spoken to either one in a couple of years. I did notice that a lot of my Trump bobo neighbors are much quieter about their Trump support. The number of lawn signs for Trump was down dramatically from 2016 and the ones who did put their signs up kept getting them stolen.

joshuaao, Deckard, superfob and 6 others like this.
  4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

My Trump posting friend has gone silent. He and his friends are posting supporting their Congressman....... Ghomert

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

They've shifted to fear of Big Tech.

joshuaao, Sajan, Deckard and 15 others like this.
  6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

In addition to the big tech fear, I've been told that Trump did not ask Pence to overturn the election. I was quickly able to debunk that with Trump's own tweets. Then it went to blame shifting saying the Dems drove him to do that.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don't forget unity and healing

AleksandarN, Dgn1 and mdrowe00 like this.
  8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Heavens no. Everyone Trump supporter I know has completely dug in on the “It was Antifa disguised as Trump supporters.”

It’s pathetic to see.

foh, joshuaao, AroundTheWorld and 5 others like this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

My mom was pretty upset the day it happened but still doesn’t quite make the connection to trump inciting it through bogus claims of a rigged election. When I talked to her yesterday she’d moved on to the right being censored. She kept asking what if they did the same to Obama and I just didn’t have the strength to argue such a ridiculous point. Tried to explain to her that it’s all connected and that the reason they’re taking down accounts is because they’re inciting violence, but there’s really no point. They’ve really been brainwashed by tucker and Fox News. They really believe they’re getting the truth, it’s sad.

I love my mom more than anyone other than my daughter I just wish she was more of a critical thinker. Told her she needs to take what she hears with a grain of salt and not repeat it if she doesn’t want to bother doing the research to make sure the things she’s saying are backed up by facts.

I think a huge problem in the country today, and especially on the right, is that people don’t have time to sift through all the bullshit and take the one source they have time for as fact. It’s ok if you don’t have time to pay as much attention as you’d like but to take one sources opinion as fact to the point that you feel so strongly about it that you’ll argue it with true conviction is a big reason this country is in the shape it’s in.

#9 tmoney1101, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    davidio840, Sajan, Yung-T and 9 others like this.
  10. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...sadly, that's probably why their minds weren't changed...
    ...BECAUSE the coup attempt failed.

I think we need to be mindful of the fact that, lancing a national boil such as white supremacy (and to a lesser degree, ignorance, and stupidity - which really aren't lesser states, since white supremacy thrives on both)...

...has, indeed let the poison of racism out...but the original wound and infection is still there.

The sobering truth is that this is just the first step. Redemption (for this nation, for each one of us) is a journey.
    We have, haltingly, at various times when met with this exact same crisis and journey, not found the courage to persevere.

That is what we have to do now. Persevere.

On through snide or disingenuous remarks. On through dissembling utterances and fanciful treatises.
    On Prancer, on Dancer, on Donner and Blitzen.

Same old song, and we all know the tune and the steps by heart now. But the record's going to keep playing if we don't change it.

'Tis the season, my friend.

...(is it too late to make a weak Christmas reference like that? I'm still in the holiday spirit, I guess;))...

#10 mdrowe00, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Nolen, Yung-T, FranchiseBlade and 6 others like this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It would not go well if I asked, but they're going to get an earful if this **** keeps up. I suspect, like the people on this board that are now playing nice, that they're disappointed the coup was unsuccessful and they're disappointed in Trump for backing down.

I could tell you stories... but the most important thing is I've learned from their mistakes.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Most of the reactions i've seen here and with my friends and former peers is doing whataboutisms about BLM and how violent they are along with believing they are victims of oppresion because Parler isn't on the app store.

glynch, Yung-T, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

decades of a steady stream of right wing propaganda can take a toll

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

They’re addicted to it because if reinforces what they want to hear, that’s why they all turned on fox for a moment when they decided they’d finally acknowledge the truth about Biden’s victory. Why live in reality with the deplorables when they can create their own?

mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

My mom, who is a saint and wonderful person, would always tell me to "consider the source" when someone said or did something I found objectionable. I can't say it's prepared me for these times, as I'll be the first to admit I'm on the verge of losing it, but it's helps sometimes.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When attention was focused upon the Middle East, there was the observation that Muslim terrorists came from all classes and income levels.

It was because their religion told them they were great...that they were the Chosen ones...except when they woke up they saw what a shithole their country or neighbors was in and that stark difference was maddening to their inflated egos.

Sounds similar?

mdrowe00 and CometsWin like this.
  17. malakas

malakas Member

They have't changed their minds because they don't realise it was a coup.

For that to happen the law and polity needs to step in and persecutions of participants as terrorists.

That's the only way to realise it was a crime treason and terrorism.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sadly no. I've seen a couple of posts from some expressing regret about support for Trump but most of these weren't the most die hard supporters. Last week some of the more ardent supporters were pushing the that it was Antifa in disguise more recently now they've been going on about how the media and the Democratic politicians just looked the other way this past summer. I've seen one say this is the Left's fault because the Left used so much violent that the those people who invaded the Capitol were just following the example of BLM..

A lot of people that I know who supported Trump have just stopped posting or posting anything political.

There are a couple of people who I haven't heard from but I fear they might've gone to the US Capitol or might've been at the MN Capitol..

Yung-T, FranchiseBlade, Dgn1 and 3 others like this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

How many of the 74 million Trump voters you think are the diehard cultists?

10%?15%?

Rocket River likes this.
  20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Only Big Tech can bring us Unity & Healing. :eek:

mdrowe00 and Xerobull like this.