1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

you just said that in reference to allen. Yet the rockets traded for oladipo. Not sure where the confusion is

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like Jarret Allen, but he's a RFA.

He will get paid, and if there is potential to have cap space to sign someone, i'd rather that, then Jarret Allen.

Only question is could they have gotten more than a Bucks first rounder?

Richie_Rich likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

So the minimum for this season for a team is $98,000,000......... and the cap is $109,000,000... and the luxury tax is $132,000,000 and the apron is $138,000,000

I suspect the Rockets will be closer to the $98,000,000 (it changes every year) than the $109,000,000 and certainly won't be above that after this season.

Richie_Rich, Deckard, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's not just about the cap it's about the money straight up. Normally a franchise wouldn't care but when your owner is broke, 18M less is 18M less. I doubt we take on money to get assets unfortunately.

5. csc177

csc177 Member

...not paying LT for a rebuild.

the world is watching you Stone - interested to see what you’ve learned over the last decade and how your touted negotiating skills as a deal man will make the rockets relevant again....

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How many years has it been with Tilman as owner, and people are still questioning whether he is actually stingy or not?

Spoiler: he is.

Ever since the shedding of salary from a few years back, which culminated in a contender throwing picks to get under the tax (a 1st, 2 2nds and 2 2nd swaps), it has been obvious that Tilman is on the stingier end of the ownership scale.
    Then Tilman calls it a fluke. Lol. Yeh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nba.nb...ent-reportedly-approves-paying-next-year/amp/

Shockingly enough even the Capela trade last year resulted in avoiding lux tax by throwing out potential assets in the forms of picks/ players that could have been brought in

Deckard and topfive like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Sure. Point is they still get a first round pick vice a player who they may not want and proB won’t get much for in a trade. And why do some of you argue against dodging the tax when many if not all of you hate paying federal and state income taxes yourself. Lol

#67 Stephen_A, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. We took a #28ish pick over Allen. Just doesn't seem smart, when the trade deadline desperation makes Allen an attractive target for other teams with better picks.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Oladiapo takes 21 mil off Rockets books in summer of 2021. They flipped Allen for a first round draft pick whether it’s middle or late round it’s still a first round pick vice having Allen for 1 year and he walks. A player which the Rockets doesn’t necessarily want long term.

10. Fantasma Negro

He's got a long season ahead of him, I hope you're right.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

dipo is a player the rockets don't want long term and the feeling is vice versa

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm already having the same thought about Stone working under Tilman that I did about Morey working under Tilman: This guy seems too good to have an owner make him suck on purpose.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah but it's MIL's first rounder right? So it will be between 25-30. Meh.

Edit NVM already addressed

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Me too bro, but trust me I'll be the first one to say I was wrong if he flames out.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He’s a RFA after the season

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Great. If they need to trade him to a desperate team for a playoff push then they get more assets and flexibility. If he plays it out then they take 21 mil off the books. Advantageous to Houston

Nelly likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this was my initial thought too. Allen at 22 is one of the best defensive centers in the league already. yes he is entering FA and will be paid cappella money next summer. but the move wasn't about not wanting to pay him, the move was about wanting to get out of paying prince.

once again we see the rockets, under Tillman, give up assets to save money.

I can see why James wanted out. people say he quit? well its hard to try to win when the organization isn't trying to wince was right to force his way out, morey was right to jump ship too. if you care about winning, this isn't the team for you. if you're an accountant then maybe you get excited by some of these rockets moves.

simply amazing how in 3 short years tilman has successfully dismantled a championship contender into a team that won't make the playoffs for idk 5 years? won't make the second round for maybe 8-10 years? now that we're on the bottom of the conference how will we pick ourselves back up? will any superstars decide to create a superteam here? no. we have to rebuild through the draft. we don't own our own pick until 2022 and 2023. so we're talking 3 years until we have 2 lotto picks. those guys are 50/50 shots at best so maybe 1 of them becomes an all star by year 3 so we're talking 2025 at having a shot at the playoffs. the nets picks won't help while the big 3 are good. wait for them to get old of leave. so maybe by 2025-2028 we end up with another 4 high picks maybe we get 1 or 2 potential all stars in that bunch. takes about 3 years to hit their stride so by 2031 we have a big 3 capable of contenting again. 10 years.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

the same thing you could do with allen but hes only 22 years old

pippendagimp likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

how many people in this forum likes to pay federal or state taxes willingly please raise your hand. ...Okay I didn’t think so.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still want Bol Bol.

Bol Bol and Wood would be the best front court of the future