1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about pick swaps

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 14, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

In terms of the upside of the deal , this is something I am wondering about the pick swaps ....

The unprotected firsts are simple to understand. In general so is the idea of swapping a pick .

people talk about the 25 and 27 swaps potentially being good as the nets might have high picks then .

BUT , we also might suck still then too .

say we are at the #5 spot and the nets get the #7. Is the swap useless ? Or can we trade that right to swap to another team ? Furthermore could we acquire a later first round pick and then swap THAT pick for the nets (giving us the 5 and the 7 ) ?

I’m naturally a pessimist so worst case scenario for this trade is that we get 4 late first rounders and we are worse than the nets making the swaps useless. Is my evaluation wrong ? Do the swaps still have value even if we are worse ?

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

if we both suck, then the swap could be useful if BK’s pick is higher...they could win the lottery while we’re picking 5th or something

as of now, the unprotected pick in 2026 is the best asset

we are banking on BK being trash in the future...that is the only way we get any real value from this Harden trade

topfive and don grahamleone like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You can't trade the swap to be a swap with another team's pick. It's indeed useless if the Rockets have a higher pick than the Nets but who knows by then. There is no downside to the swap... Only potential upside.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Riverboat Rafell

Nook likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Harden, KD, Kyrie... may you never get along and destroy your franchise.. at our behest and for the purpose of making the Rockets future bright and shinny. Wait, no.. shiny. Bright and shiny.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The swaps are useless if they are not used.... they do not carry over. The Rockets CAN trade them to other teams though...

Yes, the down side of this deal is the Rockets could end up with 4 mediocre #1 picks and nothing else......... the upside is the Rockets could end up with numerous lottery picks between pick swaps and the draft picks.

It is all an unknown...... but keep in mind the Rockets can also trade them for a player or players if they want something more finite.

This also has saved Tilman Fertitta a LOT of money.....like well over 100 million dollars..... he doesn't have to pay the last two years of Harden's contract, he no longer is in the luxury tax and going forward he can be under the cap number so he receives money back from the teams over the cap. This was as big a part of this deal as anything else.

Deuce, Astrodome, pugsly8422 and 2 others like this.
  7. don grahamleone

Good point! Trading up even one place could still yield us the more talented player of two.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Correct, but you can trade your rights to the swap to another team correct? You cannot change the swap from "Rockets and Nets" to "Lakers and Nets", but you can trade the right to "Rockets and Nets" swap in a deal, correct?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

I think to myself that the picks should naturally get better each year because the Nets aren't replenishing their roster with draft picks annually. There should be dropoff and regardless, they're not going to be big winners 4 years from now. They sold their future to us for Harden today.

10. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

I am confident Kyrie is gonna F'it up! The awesome thing about KD is he can play off the ball and get his points as well as rebound and do all the other things. James and Kyrie have to have the ball in their hands or they will disengage at some point during the game.

Miami worked because no one (Lebron/DWade/Bosh) had an ego as far as the team was concerned. Big egos in terms of thinking they were gonna running it back 5-7 times in a row but team play was complimentary across the board.

I am always gonna go MJ over Lebron BUT i concede Lebron makes everyone better!

Never root for injuries especially cause I like KD (HOOK'EM) but gotta say I wouldn't cry if the Nets feel off a cliff.