1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Without at doubt, but there are more factors in play than just talent. Kyrie barely seems committed to basketball and isn't playing currently. KD is 32 and coming off an Achilles tear. Having four unprotected 1st round picks and pick swaps going to 2027 is a big window for us to hope they will struggle.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

You get better picks, that’s is the point. Not the trash we got.

High first rounders. You also could have added a third team to this trade. Now you are just gambling in ‘ BK being a poorly run organization LOOOL. Trade is bad and I will continue to say it.

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

Why wouldn't players want to come here? We gave Harden everything he wanted. Even on his way out, he got what he wanted, trade to the Nets. What superstar wouldn't want to run their own franchise lol

And yes we can try to trade for the next star that wants out, I don't think that's out of reach.

4. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

This is the point.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Be patient. Kyrie is a weird dude who could just retire out of spite. KD is balling on a surgically repaired Achilles. And James isn't getting any younger. I could see Brooklyn winning a chip and/or imploding really quick. Those picks could be better than you think.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Mhmmm, dudes want to win and we are not FA hot spot. Our team is also trash and we will be tanking for years.

Doubtful. That dude will also not resign here. Y’all think we areLA or something lol

7. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

You're not getting the big picture

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How do you win a ship without Defense?

The Lakers are Defense and Length personified.

They at least need a defensive swiss army knife like Draymond and lengthier wings...... DA Jordan is washed.

You'd need another sack of gold.

Their bench went from being Top 5 to being Top 25.

#309 daywalker02, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Htown's Finest likes this.
  10. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Report is out: we wanted brown, smart and multiple picks damn

Just brown would've been fine

Or smart and picks

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

BKN has good management. That’s what you guys are missing here. They will be great for 2 years and will have every incentive not to tank. It’s very easy to see this not working out. You guys think they are stupid in BKN they are not.

12. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Preach!

13. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

That's what some people on this board are not getting. The Nets defense sucks. Nobody knows what's going on with the Kyrie situation. They only have 1 true center in Jordan now. They lost a lot of depth by losing Allen, Spencer, LaVert. And their bench is not great. KD is coming off a major injury, Harden is not in great shape right now. And their big three all have egos the size of Texas. Dude, let it play out.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

And that's the biggest negative reason to a Simmons trade from my perspective. Assuming they will be together for 3 years seems very generous for your argument though, we would have a first round pick and second round pick to attach to move on from Wall in this scenario.

15. dmoneybangbang

So attach a FRP and/or SRP that we get in the trade to move Wall after the season to get back something that better fits.

I thought we were talking about Simmons in a general sense.

16. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Yes Simmons is better than anything the Rockets got talentwise. This is purely a pride play from Tilman and I worry that this may be the worst era in Houston Rocket history because he chose pride over prudence and money over talent.

17. Victorious

Victorious Member

How did we get Harden? What winning we were doing before we traded for him? We got Harden to resign here. We had no problems pairing him up with other stars.

I get it man. Its a lot of unknowns and a lot of what we don't know too. I don't have much faith in the current management but I'll give them a chance before I throw in the towel

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

1. We don’t have to wait 3-5 years. We have a top 4 protected pick this year. (And currently have the 2nd worst record in the west).

2. Go look at the history of the Brooklyn Nets. After they struck out the last time they tried to build a super team with Garnett and Pierce, they did not try to remain competitive with Mid tier FA players. They sucked for 3 years from 15-18. Which ended up netting Boston 2 top 5 picks.

3. By the way, even if you pay for a couple mid tier FA’s that doesn’t make you competitive. Especially with no other draft assets. After they move on from the super team, they are going to do exactly what the Rockets are doing now, sell everything for picks they can actually use while they can still get value.

After the blow up, we know they aren’t trying to keep James or KD. Both will ask out of there. But even if they were to keep James and try to build with him alone and nothing else, we know how that goes. Exhibit A: the current Rockets. What if they keep Kyrie? The biggest diva in the NBA who isn’t even with his current super team right now? Yeah, I’m betting on serious dysfunction.

Bottom line is I said it was conceivable. If one thing is true it’s that it is not a good assumption that the Nets will want to hop on the mediocrity tread mill after the super team blows up. That isn’t how they have operated in the past.

19. dmoneybangbang

20. HP3

HP3 Member

We got Harden because Daryl fleeced. That’s not going to happen again imo. There are less dumb gems around.

Same. I’m upset but something needs to be proven to me. I don’t know this organization. It’s just dude’s with a Rockets logo. @Williamson

Williamson likes this.