1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

My weird theory about the Nets trade is that Stone understands a key part of how OKC fleeced us: They correctly gambled that our win-now plan would collapse, and therefore we would suck, and therefore our draft position in subsequent years would improve, and therefore the picks and swaps we were offering would be quite valuable.

I think Stone is making the same wager about the Nets.

MrButtocks, Htown's Finest and AXG like this.
  2. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

The rebuild around Ben Simmons would have been very specialized, expensive, and with much narrower paths than alternatives. And it may not work (or he asks out before it even works)

I’d much prefer a clean slate, and a patient route back towards contending again.

Boston is the model.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Durant + Kyrie + Harden is way more convincing as a team that will work than Westbrook + Harden.

HP3 and tierre_brown like this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

OKC should have gambled on our 2022 and 2023 picks, we would have been so f'd if that was the case

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If we've learned anything over the years from Morey, it's to not deal with him ever. You will get screwed.

YOLO likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

The bolded doesn't make sense, except for the "expensive" part. Building around Brown or MPJ or Harden or Simmons isn't really all that different.....

Boston got lucky with Nets imploding almost immediately, a chance we get lucky the same way.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's because building an elite team is hard. It doesn't happen often, if at all.

YOLO likes this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

No news about Harden signing an extension.... I think that is something we should all be paying attention to.

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

I can remember the period after Hakeem, it took a liyyle while to get over him not there and rebuild. Every team goes through it

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I am of the view that we were probably offered Thybulle, Simmons, Maxey, and picks, but that FO preferred unproven first round picks and getting salary off the books vs. staying competitive. The team had the option to keep Jarret Allen and traded him for a first rounder that will be in the 20-30 range, which goes to show where their head's at.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

It is hard, but this notion that Simmons is inherently more difficult to build around doesn't add up to me. What makes it tough is having John Wall's contract.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Most teams go through but it’s a much shorter process especially if you’re in a ideal market. A few years of losing then they’re right back on the uphill. That’s not on the rockets side atm

13. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Exactly, Stone is playing chess and I love it!

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'll take the other side of that bet, based on personality more than game. Harden will have the same friction with Kyrie that he's had with other star guards. And Durant's a sulky flake. Durant worked out in GSW because of the cohesive group he was joining. I see the Nets big 3 as a trio of sulkers and flakes, with major potential for meltdown.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

But......you do have John Wall's contract? That's the point. Trading for Simmons and having him and John Wall for 3 years is a waste of time.

16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

That's exactly it, the Nets teams looks great on paper, but so much more has to come together for them to be successful. Stone I'm sure asked for Allen on purpose to take away some rim protection and rebounds from Brooklyn. Also they only have Deandre Jordan now as a true center. And the Nets defense is not great either. You still got the Kyrie situation out there. With the losses of Allen, Spencer, and LaVert that takes aways depth. And their bench situation is not ideal at all anymore. I think these are all things Stone thought about and decided taking the Nets offer was the best approach. Which I 100% agree with.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Him and KD will go into free agency at the same time in 2022 and sign with OKC. Full circle.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

All 3 of them are eligible to be FA's in 2022. doubt that's something they're going to address til it gets to that point. they'll just wait to see what the league looks like at that time

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

Mistake? As to what else was out there? We got one of the biggest draft hauls in history. Add that to the freed up cap space, we are in position to trade for the next disgruntled superstar. Same way we got Harden here. Or sign a big free agent.

Let's see what Stone and Company can do with the assets they got.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao no one is cosine here. Disgruntled star cmon man lol.

Stone is a peanut head Tillmam yes man.