1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KOC] Oladipo wants to be in Miami

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's just to save money

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What is it with CF posters believing every protected FRP won't convey? I am sure Rafael would do a decent job getting an FRP we would eventually get for Oladipo.

To answer your second question, I have no clue what the current goals of the organization are. If they are intent on being a fringe playoff team, then I guess you could be right, but if they are intent on an actual rebuild, a pick will be a lot more valuable than losing Oladipo for nothing.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As it stands right now, per spotrac.com, the Rockets are about $9 million under the luxury tax threshold after the trade. Next year, when Tucker, Vic, etc are no longer on the team, the Rockets have about $89 million earmarked for 9 players including Wall, Gordon, Wood, etc. That is about $24 million cap space. If they manage to move Gordon at this year's trade deadline (not holding my breath), that's another $18 million they'll shave off, giving them $42 million in cap space. I highly doubt they will use most or all of that capspace on any worthwhile free agent thought.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We have Oladipo's bird rights. We could just sign and trade him in the offseason. There is a higher chance we do that than give him away for a 2024 top 15 protected first.

JoeBarelyCares and jboslett like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While I think it's absurd to think we will get Herro for Oladipo, it's certainly in Miami's best interest to trade for his bird rights if they really want him.

They would have to renounce bird rights on a lot of their players and give up their MLE to sign him. Not to mention they probably want him for the postseason this year if they think he'll make an impact.

#205 sealclubber1016, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    joshuaao likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ok so looking at a Dipo to Miami deal...

I see only one that I think Miami would be cool with:

Meyers Leonard
    Avery Bradley
    2022 2nd

For

Victor Oladipo

Otherwise, I think they just wait and sign him in FA.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We could sign and trade him, but he is not going to be as valuable in a sign and trade when regarding picks. We know he wants Miami right now and Miami will have the cap space to sign him outright in the off-season .

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Think Tilman just jizzed at your post

steddinotayto likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Man, overrating Levert and underrating Dipo is strong here.

jakedasnake likes this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

There is no worthwhile free agent next summer so you are definitely right, unless they believe they want to keep Oladipo around for some reason.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There is no worthwhile free agent unless Kawhi Leonard leaves the Clippers. That's why teams like the Nets gave up their next 7 years to the Rockets.

12. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Given that they would have to renounce all those players, as well as Iggy, Olynyk, Nunn and Harkless, to be able to sign Oladipo I think it’s worth more than a second to trade for him now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is MIA good enough to hang with BOS, PHI, BKN, MIL in the East??? They're definitely not good enough to beat the Lakers in a series.

Hopefully Riley gets desperate.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think it depends if they are looking like championship contenders again. Jimmy is not getting any younger and they may want to go all in this season again.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Possible. But those guys you named wouldn't be big losses. Nunn is bad, Iggy is ancient, and Olynyk and Harkless are not anything special.

Of course, this all depends on how Miami is doing at the time. If they're panicking or facing injuries then maybe they're more likely to throw in a heavily protected future 1st. Regardless, I don't expect a big return - I'm just hoping to get something at least as good as the 2nd rounder we bizarrely dumped to acquire Oladipo.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’ll give stone the benefit of the doubt for now. A lot of people didn’t understand the moves that led to Christian Wood either.

joshuaao likes this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree with you on this. I believe the Heat will give us a protected 1st. I do believe it would be lottery protected, but I do believe we will get a 1st out of it.

18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Its their entire depth. Can they replace that with the MLE and minimums? If they trade for Vic now, they can keep them, use the MLE as well, and re-sign them as flippable contracts

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I hope so. I am more expecting the level of protections like Detroit has, which basically guarantees it will be a 2nd rounder.

We will see! Let's hope Oladipo plays extremely well over the next months.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

So is Cousins disrespected by Oladipo now? Should we earmark the Hou-Mia matchup, if the trade to Miami happens?

Nook likes this.