1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2021.

?

Do you like the James Harden trade?

This poll will close on Jan 13, 2026 at 4:17 PM.
  1. YES

32.1%
  2. NO

25.8%
  3. Ask me again in 5 years

38.9%
  4. Abstain

3.2%
  1. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I dont understand why no one else is seeing this. The swaps are even useless. We basically got 4 2nd round picks.

pippendagimp, saleem and D-rock like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

People around here always said Harden is top post defender did it change now? :D

3. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

that’s what bothered me the most about the trade, where are the young star players? I would have taken two firsts and young star. I think that is the most important piece to the trade. Draft picks if not used right won’t get you anywhere. You need the starting piece (young all star) to get your rebuilding process in motion

Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can someone make an honest case for this trade? This is absolute crap guys. Seriously, am I living in a parallel universe? How can anyone feel good about this trade? And don’t say our hand was forced. You bench the mofo until he stops acting like an entitled, spoiled brat.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

all we can do is hope that those unprotected BK picks in 2024 and 2026 turn out to be really good...the pick swaps are meh to me, BK could be sh*tty 4 or 5 years from now, but so could we

until then, rev up the tank and hope we can keep our top 4 protected picks that we owe to OKC

6. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

2022 is a key year since it would be when KD, Harden and Russ will have the option to be FAs and team up. Keep an eye out for OKC reunion in guess what? OKC!

7. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

At least Miami rebounded and always will because well...it’s Miami.

Clevelland at the end of the day, their star player got them a title

8. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I could definitely see that happening, and OKC gets the last laugh.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. GermanRakete

GermanRakete Member

Yes, I know how it finally unfolded.
    But I can‘t believe that the talks between OKC and Harden didn‘t started way before that.

Especially after seeing Harden embracing Alpha-Status in Houston after being 6th man in OKC.

11. GermanRakete

GermanRakete Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ey-was-deciding-factor-in-leaving-okc-thunder

It was a combination of things. He felt he sacrificed playing time in OKC - which means, it wasn’t what he really liked.

12. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

I know Harden came from OKC as a bench player. I meant prime Harden or at least the just past prime version right now. Harden had Howard, CP3, and Westbrook, and got a taste of Wall. People are nuts if they think he is not going to give everything with Durant at this stage. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kyrie is traded for a defensive 3-D guy and a center. Iam not in any way saying I’m happy the way he left the way he did. Divorce sucks. It was going to happen. I hated the narrative that followed him and honestly I hope he gets that ring just wished it was here. Tillman needs to allow this team to compete it really pisses me off that his penny pinching played a big part in all this.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

A lot of people around here are still stuck in the first stage of grief - the denial phase that the organisation really just done goofed.

Os Trigonum and HP3 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

No NBA player prefers to
    Come off the bench over starting. The point is they made a him a poor offer and they gave him little time to decide otherwise. Him wanting to get paid is not indicative of him wanting specifically to get out of Durant/westbrook shadow. He loved being there. He was the third best player and he was owed better than his the team handles that process.

#714 HP3, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Interestingly Indiana Pacers get Caris Levert who they actually drafted

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. TimV

TimV Member

poor offer? It was like $55M out of a max of $60M, for a guy that had told Scotty Brooks he preferred coming off the bench and running the second unit than starting as the third option.

GermanRakete likes this.
  17. TimV

TimV Member

it’s really an amazing haul, especially with unprotected picks, and still ends up potentially getting more out of Oladipo.
    The only caveat is that it’s basically a haul just from one team. It’s only great if that team is struggling at some point. With the aging players involved, that could easily happen. But it’s also the East, where there are lots of perpetual dumpster fire teams - Hornets, Hawks, Knicks, Cavs, Magic, etc - so even an old, capped out Nets could still make the playoffs all the time.

18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Problem is..... It looks like Rockets caved to Harden again in hopes he'll return. I'd rather he not. Plus there weren't many options. Rockets obviously were not ever, ever sending him to Philly. I feel bad for Meek Mill.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Tilman is broke. He won't pay any max money for a young star. People should have understood this when he was dumping draft picks and players to save money. This mofo singlehandedly destroyed the Houston Rockets for a minimum of 7 to 10 years.

The only hope is for a sale of the team to a person with real deep pockets with a passion for winning. The current owner looks and talks like a used-car salesman.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I still can’t believe we traded James Harden for 4 scratch off tickets, 4 turns at skee-ball and a pay day loan. Worst trade I’ve ever seen. Anyone who can’t see it now needs to be patient. Not getting a blue chip asset out of this deal is devastating. Trading LeVert, Allen and Prince for savings and a late first is horrifying. The Nets trade was inevitable (I didn’t want it, but it was the package) but the follow up is the concerning part. This franchise is in bad trouble. This is the worst case scenario.

HP3 likes this.