1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Simmons isnt ass no matter some on here try to push that he is. Every advanced metric has him as a good player. He's a 24 year old prospect that could net some good assets instead we are gambling and we dont have it in our control.

Boston84 likes this.
  2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I would have expected a package similar to what New Orleans got for AD, this ain't it at all.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. cheatpnz

cheatpnz Member

I dont want to wait 5, 6 years

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

then you dont understand what a rebuild is bc it typically takes much longer than that to be relevant again, especially when you're not a market for marquee FA's that want to play here

6. dmoneybangbang

Philly package. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Technically its more than just 4 picks, the right to swap itself is an asset and can be traded. Case in point Rox next year would get the worst of either OKC or Miami picks.

We dont know the exact years Brooklyn will be bad so the blanket pick and swap til 2027 is a great insurance.

raining threes and ChillyPete32 like this.
  8. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

See that's the problem right there, you are basing everything off advanced metrics. Everything has to be put into proper perspective. The only way you can do that is to actually watch his games (not the highlights) in conjunction with the advanced metrics. I can tell by our previous conversation that you don't really watch much basketball outside of the Rockets. YOU REALLY NEED TO WATCH OTHER TEAMS BESIDES THE ROCKETS. His numbers are skewed because he only dunks the ball mostly. Most of his shot attempts are in the paint. He is not going to shoot the ball much at all, never shoots threes really, and is overpaid. Teams sag off of him because he won't shoot. He can get to the paint very easily but is not very aggressive at all. Defensively Simmons is great. But like I said I have watched at least 6 76ers games this year(not saying I'm a Ben Simmons expert but I've watched him enough this year and years past to understand he is vastly overrated). Most games he is not even in double digits going into the fourth quarter, or he's barely at 11 points. Pairing him with John Wall would honestly be a total catastrophe. He's a good player but he's just not a franchise player. So yes he is not total ass but he is not nearly enough for a Harden trade. And definitely not worth $177 million dollars and being on the books for 5 years just because he is a good passer and great defender.

mario_v, rhee and raining threes like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

I do lol. I have watched Simmons play alot. Its not about just getting Ben Simmons, its about flipping him for more assets. We needed someone like MPJ from this trade and we didnt get one. We have a bunch of low first rounders and banking on Brooklyn being a trash organization which they arent. Even after Harden, Durant and Irving leave.

Boston84 likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

Anthony Davis is better and 4 years younger than Harden. You’re not getting that type of return on a 31 year old disgruntled out of shape playoff flame out.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. cheatpnz

cheatpnz Member

I do thays why i wanted to trade him for impact plauers now

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

There no impact player in a plausible harden scenario deal now that gives the rockets a better future nor makes them relevant for years to come

roslolian likes this.
  13. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Wall and Simmons would definitely not work lol. Everyone just mad we didn't get a "superstar" for harden. I'll take all those unprotected picks any day over that Philly trade. And we're still not done, can still trade dipo/tucker.

BamBam, roslolian and YOLO like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In the short term, the Philly trade would have helped more. Simmons would fetch more than Oladipo if we go rebuild or help us more on the court if we dont. So rebuild or compete, I think this trade would have helped more right now.

Medium/Long term, those Brooklyn picks could turn into gold mines, and maybe sooner than many think. The Kyrie drama could spill onto the court at any time. KD and Durant are on the wrong side of 30 and makes them more prone to missing games. And while the Nets gained offense, they lost depth, especially defensively. They will miss Jarrett Allen.

Personally, I would like to see what the group we have right now, or what the group will be after we move a few more pieces around, before we make a irreversible commitment to rebuilding.

Wall, Aladipo, ?, Wood, Cousins doesn't sound so shabby to me. Take our extra pieces and turn that into a serviceable big man, and who knows?

cerophilik and roslolian like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree. Lots of posters here think Rox are gonna be bad well I'd be surprised if they dont make the playoffs with Dipo, Exum and Rodians Kukucs added to the team. These 3 guys fill a lot of holes specifically in starting SG, backup pg and a forward that hits the 3 better than Tate and Brodric Thomas.

16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea I agree.

they probably only have a two year window. Just because of how Kyrie, Kevin and Harden are.

they also don’t have a lot of depth after the trade. They have some but not a lot and they will be paying a lot to those 3. So they won’t have a lot of flexibility.

they could win this year or next but I doubt they would be stable enough to go more than 3 years together.

17. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Hehe yea KD and Durant on the wrong side because he has split personalities.

:p
    We got Aladipo ?
    Is he related to Aladino (Aladdin in Spanish )

It’s okay man. I’m just messing with you :p

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

AD was 25 or 26 when they traded

harden being 32 kills a lot of value

I wouldn’t really trade a young star + mortgage my future for a playing over 30

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. HROZ

HROZ Member

We didn't take the Simmons Thybulle deal

Wtf????

How is this even a contest.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

then rockets should have gone for the SIxer's package?