1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Rockets4Life13

Apparently Simmons is "ecstatic" he didn't get traded to Houston. We 100% took the better deal here.

Swap a disgruntled MVP for a disgruntled "star" that can't shoot would have been bad. Simmons would have forced his way out of here in no time.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Teams will trade for him at some point in the next year if he is healthy. Most likely the Rockets would get other similar length contracts aggregated together to match Wall’s contract and a #1 or possible a couple #1’s with draft protections. He has to show he is healthy first.

There are plenty of ways for the Rockets to manufacture #1 picks (like OKC is) by taking on bad contracts over the next couple years. The problem is I am not sure Tilman will allow that. With the Rockets sucking for at least the next 3-4 years, I think we will see him try to get close to the minimum salary number and get payments from the league... that will let him off set when attendance falls and concessions.

IvanLCPM and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

But Simmons-Wood would have been crazy in PnR.

And unlike Wall, Simmons would have increased Rockets pace and turned transition offense into a legitimate threat.

And Simmons + Thybulle would have been immense boost to painfully bad Rockets defense.

Wall should run 2nd unit.

Just like he should have when Harden was on team.

alethios likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. it's terrible. when the nets played philly last week they had DJ guarding simmons and DJ stayed camped in the paint. happens so much. having him on this team and roster would be abysmal

6. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

D-rock likes this.
  7. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I like the idea of Oladipo doing well here and moving him for more picks before the trade deadline.

TF sure as well wont pay him

D-rock likes this.
  8. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

With agent Rich Paul, yeah Simmons wouldve bounced if he wanted.

9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

So did Harden and CP3, Westbrook, Wall...

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Totally forgot about that. Avoided the bullet there imo. Simmons would have forced his way out no doubt with Rich Paul.

Richie_Rich and HoustonCRT like this.
  11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

KD has one injury that already knocked him out for a season. Getting older doesn't make that less likely to happen!

Your last sentence is borderline comical considering a similar rationale was used to justify a certain trade last year that didn't work out so well.

There are a lot more Carmelos than there are Lebrons. Maybe Harden will be Lebron but he hasn't shown anywhere close to the same dedication to his body that Lebron has and Lebron is also an alien.

roslolian likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Any suggestions on who? I glanced quickly and didn’t really find any matches.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Low first? You have a crystal ball or something?

Harden going to Philly would def result in much lower pick than Harden to Nets.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

should the Rockets do trade with Morey? i don;t think so

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Chris Paul and Westbrook are not good examples of easy going stars at all. Kyrie can leave for assets thats fine. KD and Harden respect each other and cherish their time on OKC. Add that to the fact that KD isnt a dumpster fire of a player and you have what works.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Cp3 is not easy to play with. Harden was never staying with Wall. And Westbrook wanted out because who knows why, either way none of those guys are the hall mark for easy guys to play with.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s what sucks here. If I had any faith we were starting a Process, I’d get my head around it. But it’s far more likely we’re going to get back teens picks from this trade while giving up lotto picks from the Paul trade.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol, oh my god.

Harden to Philly would actaully give us a chance at a high pick. With this we have a bunch mediocre picks. LOL yall are just banking that 3 of the best offensive players in the league are gonna fail.....

19. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

A further point on Harden aging, Morey not willing to empty the chamber to get him with future unprotected picks and even a very speculative young player like Maxey should tell you where he stands on that.

If Morey thought MVP James as a cohesive teammate for the next 4 years was likely he 100% gives up almost anything we want to pair him with Embiid.

jakedasnake likes this.
  20. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Common denominator?