1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2021.

?

Do you like the James Harden trade?

This poll will close on Jan 13, 2026 at 4:17 PM.
  1. YES

32.1%
  2. NO

25.8%
  3. Ask me again in 5 years

38.9%
  4. Abstain

3.2%
  1. delta69er

delta69er Member

I bear no hard feelings toward James - he gave us damn near a decade's worth of championship contention. I will forever be haunted by what could have been with Chris Paul's hamstring injury in 2018, but it is what it is.

This team has deteriorated every year since then and with everything that happened this summer, the writing was on the wall. We looked like the Shanghai Sharks against the Lakers the last two games - we were never going to be contending in the west this year (or anytime soon even if we had kept James).

So, thank you James for all the years you gave us. Thank you for giving us realistic championship aspirations for almost 10 years. Hell, I will forever associate my 20s with the James Harden Rockets. It's a damn shame we couldn't get it done, but championship windows often open and close in the blink of an eye in professional sports.

Good luck in Brooklyn and I hope y'all make the finals and kick the Los Angeles Lebrons' asses.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oladipo...and Tucker, and Gordon assuming he has some value, no one should be on the roster past the deadline aside for Wood (although i'd move him too in the right deal) and the couple of young players we have just signed. Even dumping Wall should be an option to consider at this point, and sooner rather then later.

mikol13 and xaos like this.
  3. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so who else we got besides oladipo and 3 1st rounders? A couple of scrubs??

4. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I disagree. Simmons is simply not a player you build around. So unless you truly believe Simmons and Maxey can help us contend, I much rather have more picks. Kyrie is going to come back and **** the Nets up. This is Pierce/KG trade all over again (at least I hope so.)

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Someone give me a bright spot with Houston sports

persian hoopa likes this.
  6. GottaHaveHeart

Expiring contract

BamBam, Richie_Rich and sirjesse like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nets have to be good for near a decade for this to hurt the Rockets.

It would have been really nice to get this same deal from the 6ers and get Simmons along the way and then we could be a decent team now while reaping the benefits from another team possibly failing but...it's not the worst deal, it's just going to take time for us to see any benefits from it.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Never underestimate chemistry issues and what fat James Harden can do to ruin it with toxic Kyrie. You have a out of shape Harden, diva Kyrie and a dude who just came from a Achilles tear and are all past their prime except maybe Kyrie bit he's the biggest headcase of them all. There is a strong chance that team fails like the Nets team that traded away all their picks to the Celtics.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I always wondered why Green signed with the Nets so quickly when he could have gotten better numbers here.

It all makes more sense, it was the plan.

10. riko

riko Member

capspace to do nothing with it but to save money for the broke owner

harold bingo likes this.
  11. shinjirod

shinjirod Member

Durant is 36 the first year we get a Nets pick, they don't have him locked until then, Kyrie is a ticking time bomb, and they have no young players to cover for those gaps. You get an all star on an expiring contract at 21 million you can trade at the deadline. You have three important rotation pieces you can also flip, and two young players in Wood and Tate who are good.

Given the circumstances, this is a really good and quick restoration after the shtshow from the last two years.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Didn’t think so. I just speculated because i believe the first game he sat coincided with the announcement.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This is a pretty unexciting haul for the Rockets. Disappointing. I hope the Rockets didn’t refuse a better offer from the Sixers just out of spite.

blahblehblah and sirjesse like this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Who knows, but at least we have the flexibility. It's not like we have a glass ball to look into the future.

I mean, ultimately, I do believe Tilman is a terrible owner and we are ****ed, but I'd like to keep looking at any positives I can find.

BHannes2BHonest and jiggyfly like this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

With LTS onboard, it would serve Tilman well to hire a good scouting department. Useless having all these good picks if we draft terribly.

BHannes2BHonest and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It's over dude let it go. The Rockets are rebuilding. Tillman cleaned house from last year. No Morey, MDA, Harden or Westbrook. All of his high priced employees are GONE except for John Wall.

ElPigto likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They are in the East
    Will the East be strong for the next 7 years?

Rocket River

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Same here. The Harden trade in 2012 right when I entered my 20s will always been filled with fond memories of going to the games, having hope for a future championship, and always being mentioned in the media for mostly good reasons. I hate the Warriors.

bro2044 and delta69er like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

LOL

Remember when this guy kept saying that Harden didn’t actually want to go to BK and doesn’t fck with KD like that? Ouch

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

This was never about staying competitive. Tilman saw Harden wanting out as a way to save money. He's got nearly a half billion in short-term high-interest debt coming due soon.

mikol13, PWR and Dacamel like this.