1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden traded to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 13, 2021.

?

Do you like the James Harden trade?

This poll will close on Jan 13, 2026 at 4:17 PM.
  1. YES

32.1%
  2. NO

25.8%
  3. Ask me again in 5 years

38.9%
  4. Abstain

3.2%
  1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Oladipo is expiring. That’s the only reason Houston wanted him. Take on bad contracts next season for picks.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, and I thought I was an optimist. No longer.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The draft capital is amazing. Harden and Durant will be 38 and 39 by the time the last of these picks come up. It may be KG/Pierce all over again for Brooklyn.

I woke up feeling down that we'd trade Harden for Simmons straight up and we'd be in the worst position: bad and without draft capital. Now we will be bad with a lot of draft capital.

It'll be a long time before the team is good again, but there's potential now.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with our roster is that we are not shitty enough to be a bottom dweller team, thus guaranteeing us a top 4 pick. OKC own our pick this year (well swap) and Brooklyn's swap will be worthless this year as well unless they get a major injury to Harden/Durant/Irving.

I hope we somehow make a playoff run, even if we are 7th or 8th seed. I honestly don't care, will be a lot more fun than just sucking since we don't have interesting prospects to suck with.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

The best thing about this deal is that it gives Tilman the chance to deflect the blame of having to rebuild.

Expect some version of the following: "James left us in a bad position and Rafael has done a great job of keeping us competitive while setting us up to be successful in the future."

7. PWR

PWR Member

Should've took the Miami deal when it was on the table. I just can't believe what I'm seeing.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Tucker, House, Clemons - dump them. Now.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You trade Oladipo for more picks, imo

10. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep and dont give me some BS about free agency.

No big names are signing here

BHannes2BHonest and ksny15 like this.
  11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

They'll have approximately 81 million dollar on the books next year. That's not including the 31 million cap hold on Oladipo. Assuming they don't resign him, the max cap space they can have is about 22 million or so. Of course if they trade E.Gordon they can open up more.

luckyman76, Nook and ak99999 like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bring on the OOFs
    Olidipo Only Fans

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

They should trade him for more picks.

Gordon for picks.

Tucker to a contender for a protected 1st.

14. PWR

PWR Member

Offer up Tucker and House for a 1st round pick. F**k it.

DaDakota likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Kyrie going to come back just to sabotage the team, do it Kyrie.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

MARCH 3rd gentleman. March 3rd.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

Why did we not just take Allen instead of giving him to cleveland for a pick that will most likely be a late late first round pick from the bucks? Sounds like a terrible deal.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Seriously, I don't get all the complaining.

Likely scenario is that Brooklyn is really good for the next 2-4 years, but that still leaves a few years of extremely good picks when Durant and Harden age out. If they flame out entirely all the better.

We were never getting a superstar back, nor were we gonna get high picks in the next few seasons. This way we mill about for a few seasons, but we will be armed to the teeth with good picks eventually.

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

ABSOLUTELY criminal that James Harden got rewarded for crying and screaming like this. We should've traded his ass to some lottery team. Now he has basically set an example for every star to follow in his footsteps to get what they want. You think he cares about those picks? No, he will just request a trade to another team and join another team when his contract expires.

Dacamel likes this.
  20. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

We should have known that the Harden trades would be for picks. When Wall was traded for Westbrook, Tillman was ecstatic about getting the picks in one of the interview! In addition, this means that Tillman doesn't need to worry about going over Luxury Tax for foreseeable feature while we are in rebuilding mode and while his businesses recover from the aftermath of the pandemic.

21. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think it’s funny people think that what we are looking at currently is capable of making the playoffs....

MAYBE the last play in spot.

But I predict we do more to ensure that the tank train is running on all cylinders before the season ends.