1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The Key To Beating These Lakers... and a Guarantee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CB4ever, Apr 27, 2004.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lakers do run zone, you can't just ISO. Remember the play where Kobe was "laughing" at Stevie? That's because Steve was running an ISO and Kobe had two guys behind him ready to help if Steve tried to drive. High pick and roll works really well against Payton and Shaq. Fisher gets around it at times, but against GP, it's there for the taking. In OT of game 4, whoever GP was guarding took him right to the cup. Good guard play will be essential if we want to extend this series.

Also, I've noticed JJ is consistantly short on his jumper from the corner these days. His legs maybe shot (hopefully not his confidence), but they're closing hard on him. A pump fake and step inside the three point line should be a more effective shot for him. Maybe he gets some fouls while shooting the three a la Kobe, at least he can knock down FTs.

Speaking of which, if we want to extend this series, Steve can't keep missing 2 freebies every game. Every point counts... you think we couldn't use the three he missed in game 1 or the two he missed in game 4?

Mind your P's Rockets they're invaluable: Points, possesions, and PNR.

2. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Dragon,

Imo, if we dabble with the perimeter game and the post game before penetrating, the game stats will read FT Lakers: 22-34, FT Rockets: 12-16. I ain't guaranteeing crap if that happens.

We need to take it to them early and often. When you saw Mobley's lay-ins off Yao PNR in OT, did you not think "YEAH!! Where was that before? Why were you jacking three's like AI and iso'ing Kobe, a first/second team defender all game long??"

Who cares if Shaq gets a couple blocks, Kobe a couple strips?
    There are so many reasons to do it. Not the least of which is the kick-out 3. A MUCH higher %, rhythm shot than the pull-up/impulse 3. Make that Reason #7. :)

3. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Umm... I've never heard of an NBA team with winning aspirations willingly give the other team the lane. Shaq's not leaving Yao to help. Malone has lost two steps. I just don't see it.
    I'll agree this is a factor. However, the fact that the Glove looks like Mark Jackson trying to stay with Francis is a larger factor, imo.

4. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Toast,

Sorry, misread your 1st point. I see what your saying. Yes, I agree that's one of the reasons SF penetrates easily off iso. I'm not advocating a bunch of Cat/JJ iso's. On the contrary, get the Lakers' D moving off the PNR with Yao and whomever - SF, Cat, JJ. It's our most potent weapon aganist this defense that lacks quickness and mobility.

5. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

CB, I am not saying we should just go and brick a couple of threes at the beginning of the game, what I mean is we ought to run for some three poniter play and find out if they can fall, wether is from inside-out, drive and kick, or transition 3, it depends upon Lakers strategy at the time.

I see Lakers realize how deadly Rockets penetrating is in game three and have clobbed their lane pretty solid in game 4. So drive and kick out maybe a good play to start the game.

With our season on the line, I expect Yao Ming should finally have a huge game, he hasn't really perform great for a while, isn't he? Let's see what he is made of.

Poise and defense are the key.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

De acuerdo.

Hey, doesn't CB4 mean Cell Block... ummm...

:eek:

You get Clutch BBS access in the... :confused: ??

Cool! :p

7. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Desihooper,

I'm on the same page. Penetrate off of PNR to involve their bigs in help D.

Want to know the most obvious sign the Lakers are deathly afraid of giving up penetration off the PNR? Watch the guard (Fisher/Kobe) "jump" or anticipate the pick. It's the most energy the Lakers put out on defense. It's desperation. They know it's their weak point. Their bigs also lack the lateral quicks to switch or double. They lack defensive options.

8. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

That's right. I'm lonely. You sound nice.

Oh, and I'm innocent!!! :D

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is that because he's left handed?

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lakers defense is very breakable. A few weeks ago, Payton was in a radio interview. The host asked why the Lakers were so vulnerable to PnRs. And Payton simply said, "We don't play defense the way I use to do." Payton knows a bad defense when he sees one. You just need to play smart to exploit their defensive weaknesses.

I believe the Lakers are too arrogant, too stubborn, and too slow to play good help defense. And yes, Shaq is determined NOT to let Yao get better number than he. We should exploit that to the fullest.

11. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

The flip side to this is to get Shaq's body off of Yao and hit a moving Yao in the lane, should O'Neal decide to help.

Reason #8 (I'm losing count): Against Shaq, a moving Yao is 10x better than Yao handcuffed to the post.

Then, in the 4th quarter, after you get Yao feeling his oats, he actually takes Fat Albert off the dribble and fouls him out. Sound familiar?