1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cover Songs that are Better Than the original

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DFWRocket, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. basso

Supporting Member

https://themusicnetwork.com/emma-swift-song-covers/

In defence of song covers

Too often, song covers were written off as not inventive, not creative and not a musician’s best work. But in this op-ed, Australian singer-songwriter Emma Swift urges the industry to embrace the recycling, enjoy the reinterpretations and evict the cynicism.

For some folks, nothing beats the original. But it shouldn’t go unnoticed that 2020 has seen a resurgence of the cover song. From Phoebe Bridgers’ tender take on Merle Haggard’s country classic ‘If We Make It To December’, to Nick Cave’s reflective reworking of the T-Rex classic ‘Cosmic Dancer’, to Sharon van Etten and Josh Homme’s contemplative version of Nick Lowe’s ‘(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding’, covers are having a moment. And as someone who loves them, and who also happens to record them, I’m delighted.

I’m partial to covers for a multitude of reasons. The first is that singing other people’s songs has taught me more about singing than I ever learned doing vocal exercises or scales. The second is that I love folk music, and the handing down of songs from one generation to the next is an important part of that tradition. And the third is that I think covers are a wonderful way to honour the song as a being that exists outside of the songwriter: a majestic, stand-alone, lovely, mutable and sometimes shapeshifting lifeforce all on its own.

Though “singer-songwriter” is a highly respected genre, we shouldn’t forget that many artists celebrated as some of the greatest performers of all-time, did not, in fact, write their own material. Without covers, we have no Elvis Presley, no Ella Fitzgerald and no Dusty Springfield, to name but a few.

In Australia, you only have to time-travel back to 1987 to recall that the first single from the woman who would become the nation’s finest exporter of gold hot pants, Kylie Minogue, was an irresistible bubblegum pop reworking of ‘The Loco-motion’.

First recorded by Little Eva way back in 1962, this catchy little crowd-pleaser was written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King in a hit factory in New York City called the Brill Building, back when King was a songwriter for hire and not yet one of the defining voices of the 1970s.

When Kylie released it as her debut single, not only did it skyrocket her off the set of Neighbours and onto dancefloors across the globe, it landed her in the history books as well: the song spent seven weeks at the top of the Australian music charts and became the highest-selling Australian single of the 1980s.

As a child of the 1990s, two of my favourite early memories from watching music television are of recordings of covers: The Lemonheads’ glorious alt-rock reimagining of Simon and Garfunkel’s ‘Mrs Robinson’, originally recorded in 1968, and Sinead O’Connor’s mesmerising, heart-shattering and career-defining take on ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’, which Prince wrote and recorded back in 1984.

While the cover has existed as long as radio stations have played popular music, these songs tend to fall in and out of favour with the press and with fans. But I’d urge you, don’t dismiss the cover. Sometimes they can be fun (see: David Bowie, ‘Friday On My Mind’), sometimes they can be desperately sad (see: Linda Ronstadt, ‘Alison’) and sometimes they can find an audience for a song that might never have discovered it otherwise (see: Sonic Youth’s sublime reimagining of The Carpenters’ ‘Superstar’).

Now that we live in a culture that has become more or less relentlessly online, more and more musicians are required to be non-stop content creators. With this, I assure you, will come the need for more (not less) covers.

So, I beg of you: Embrace the recycling. Enjoy the reinterpretations. Evict the cynicism from your mind. And take them for what they are: a time-honoured way for musicians to do what we love, while championing the folks who came before us at the same time.

Emma Swift is an Australian singer-songwriter, currently based in the US. Her album Blonde On The Tracks features a collection of Bob Dylan covers and is out now.

4. basso

Supporting Member

Bono likes this.
  5. hooroo

hooroo Member

DCkid likes this.
  6. hooroo

hooroo Member

The covers of LWTUAA that work for me are the electro ones

The bis one is probably the best of the lot. The build up in it is great.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

NO.

just

NO

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I wanted to hate it but found it's actually decent. The Cars guitarist plays on it and whoever arranged this version did a pretty good job.

DFWRocket likes this.
  9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Without You — Badfinger covered by Mariah Carey
    My neighbors probably hate me right now...

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Not listening to this because of Harden if anyone thinks that lol

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I feel like everything is a Dylan cover. So many good songs.

basso likes this.
  12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t think I’ve posted this one before, Feels Like Rain, originally by John Haitt, covered most notably by Buddy Guy, which this Davide Pannozzo version kind of covers that version. The solo at the end is beautiful.

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Is this sarcastic? It always is recommended to me but I actually hate this version! Am I the in the minority?

14. basso

Supporting Member

that's great; thanks for posting.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

peleincubus likes this.
  16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I disagree, but I do love Sharon Van Etten. Nice cover. Along the same lines...

Flaming Lips are known for their studio trickery and weirdness, but these paired-down covers show that at their core they're just great songwriters.

#296 DCkid, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  17. basso

Supporting Member

18. Rashmon

19. Rashmon

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member