1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson slams organization

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Jan 12, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Same went for BoB. These guys got a taste for power and it went straight to their head. All reminds me of when Mallett missed the team flight to Miami and BoB wanted to release him the day before the game. Although it would have been justified, Rick Smith had to talk him off the ledge as it would have made Shane Lechler the backup QB. When BoB took over, he had no one to tell him otherwise and when they did (i.e. Chris Olsen), he had them fired.

UTSA2step and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. gucci888

I've probably posted this a dozen times but Easterby should have been fired when he tampered with the Caserio pursuit the first time. Then him and BoB got the one person who had contract experience fired when Chris Olsen wasn't just rubberstamping deals for them. After that, BoB admitted that Easterby had a big part in the trades and signings that came about after. All of which has put us in the position we are today.

And if that is not enough for you, Andre Johnson worked directly with Easterby and dropped the biggest bomb in franchise history. That's not radio personnel doing a segment or a disgruntled player who didn't feel they got a fair shake. But like you said, it is beyond fixable.

King1, UTSA2step, fchowd0311 and 5 others like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The final nail in Jack's coffin would be for JJ Watt to come out and voice his own displeasure.

gatsby likes this.
  4. IKant

IKant Member

I think these guys (Cal, Jack, Nick) value building a 'culture' over winning the super bowl.

Pbev99, 3Rings, gatsby and 5 others like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I just finished watching Ted Lasso.

What if we have a similar situation goin on between Cal and his father?

UTSA2step, IKant and Blake like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not arguing to keep Easterby.

On the tampering with Caserio: We know that stuff happens all the time and he didn't do anything that the org wasn't ok with.
    On Chris Olsen: I don't know who got him fired but it's important to remember that EVERYONE who worked with Obrien ended up strained with him and that was true before Easterby got there. So did Easterby get him fired?
    On all the trades that happened: I agree they sucked. I said that then. People on this message board and on twitter defended almost every move though until the Hopkins trade.

My point is this though: Before Easterby got here, OBrien had toxic relationships with a lot of people in the building. He was here when Duane Brown situation fell apart. He was the one who had the toxic relationship with Clowney. YET...Deshaun defended him. Easterby hooked up with this stuff AFTER it was already toxic. Now, clearly he didn't make it any better and likely has helped make it worse, but it definitely didn't help that media members instantly started slandering him and weirdly blaming him for things that had been issues since before he got here.

None of that is meant to say Easterby is good for the org. Clearly he isn't. But I think as some sort of behind the scenes exec he could have been fine if that is what the owner wanted IF they had never plugged him into a high level role tied to OBrien.

7. gucci888

Agreed except for the tampering thing. Yes it happens all the time but yet it is so rarely provable. In this case, it sounds like it absolutely was because Cal folded like a cheap lawn chair immediately after he got threatened. IIRC, the Texans never even denied it.

There is a lot of blame shifting we can do as the McNairs have created the perfect environment for it. But to me, Dre is the smoking gun here.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Watson wearing a “Houston” hat gives me a glimmer of (likely false) hope that the situation is somewhat salvageable (against all odds). Part of me does want to trade Watson just so he can be set free from this hellhole organization. But he hasn’t requested a trade yet, so maybe, just maybe, he does want to be here...but with massive (and clearly necessary) changes. Given the Texans faceplant on every social issue and in-between-the-lines issue, I’m leaning towards it not being salvageable...but maybe I’m wrong. Deshaun is clearly the guy. He’ll win a ship eventually, and I’ll support him if and when it’s elsewhere.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Was listening to 610 this morning driving in and they had pancakes on. Seth was getting HEATED (like vs. josh anus/mike meltser level heated) at McClain because pancakes was providing no useful input in regards to Easterby other than being the Texans PR mouthpiece and giving PC answers.

3Rings, gatsby, mikol13 and 7 others like this.
  10. tigereye

tigereye Member

UTSA2step likes this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Im sure the other owners have called Cal and told him what a wonderful job he is doing running the texans

arkoe, Blatz and desihooper like this.
  12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't wait for the ownah meetings for these conversations to occur.

"Atta boy, Cal. Your Daddy would be so proud!"

Maybe Jack Easterby can lead an opening prayer or Bible Study group to help influence someone to agree to a lopsided trade in the Texans favor for once!!

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

Good for Dre!!

Easterby (like O'Brien) are who they are. This is (and was) NEVER about them. It all starts at the top....and Cal hired these guys. He not only stuck with BB when he should have kicked him to the curb, but instead, he doubled down and made him GM as well.

If Easterby is F'ing everything up and is as divisive as countless people are saying within the organization than Cal needs to get rid of him which (given previous history) he won't do.

What a F'ed up, dysfunctional, clusterf$#K organization!!

Blatz and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. itzIce

itzIce Member

Fair enough...Easterby could've been a product of working up the career ladder within the FO (no issue there) but then at one point started yielding more influence which brought upon the abuse of power which everyone started to see and take notice (i.e. Olsen, Palcic, DHop decision process, Caserio) which brought upon the straw that broke the camel's back, which produced the smoking gun, AJ's big tweet.

15. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

As many have probably surmised by now, Andre's tweet fell on deaf ears. They are not concerned with public backlash anymore. Tickets are sold. Season tickets have a waitlist that is years long.

They are building a culture and are not allowing outside noise to dictate their direction.

I wish I had better things to offer but unfortunately it's just the truth. Easterby has won over the heart of Cal and is ingrained in the building for years to come.

It hasn't been made public yet, but during a certain GM interview, Easterby came into the interview, which was 2 hours long, and asked to borrow Cal for a few minutes. Instead of asking Jack to wait, Cal left with Jack and took time to speak with him instead of the person interviewing.

A few nights later, Jack was at Cals house praying with him for the guidance that they needed after hearing Omar Khan was negotiating with Houston.

Within 15 minutes, Bob Lamonte was on the phone with Cal explaining that Cesario was negotiating with the Panthers and he was taking Jack with him. This is all Cal needed to hear to get him a 6 year deal to keep Jack in the building.

This runs very deep. There is no way that this will end up in any scenario where Jack Easterby is no longer a part of the organization. Unless Jack resigned, which is definitely not his plan, this is our future as Texans fans. He has won the battle.

Justin Reid and Jordan Akers have sealed their fate by liking Andre's tweet. They will be gone. Honestly, good for them.

Deshaun is the only hope that we have. The scouting department all the way to sales know it. There are only a handful of people in the building that are on Jack's side. Deshaun has the power to force his hand. The problem is, I'm not sure he is that kind of guy.

Deshaun Watson has to go to Cal and give him the ultimatum. It's me or Jack. Pick one Cal. If this happens, and I dont expect it will, then it is possible Easterby will be let go.

arkoe and King1 like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

is this stuff credible; or no offense; just a frustrated fan copypasta? It paints a web of deception on Lamonte and his clients as some sort of Christian Mob. They will morally extort and demean you into submission. I'll be curious to see if the HC is a Lamonte guy too.

If accurate this needs to gain as much traction as possible

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

#176 YOLO, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Those 1st 10-15 minutes or so need to be shown to some of those guys backing Easterby in the "Fire Easterby" thread....

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tbh this vid probably could use its own thread just off the sheer amount of stuff you hear from AJ himself

20. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

That's true.

It's interesting how guys talk about Andre "not having a QB", but people completely forget that with Matt Schaub the Texans were LEGIT Super Bowl contenders....

21. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

20 min in, and all of them are really disrespecting Arian Foster and Schaub. Texans never won a superbowl but they had a damn good run where with a bit a luck they could have at least made one.