1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Jack Easterby

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coachbadlee, Nov 11, 2020.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jack Easterby looks like a smiling light bulb.

J.R. likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

@csj thoughts?

3. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

4. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know which is worse honestly.

Cal had never met or had a conversation with Caserio and the Patriots haven't exactly drafted well either of late. It is an odd decision to fixate on him.

However I think it is more believable that Cal McNair is influenced to some degree by those around him, but ultimately he wanted to hire Caserio all along.

That doesn't excuse how he has fumbled many things, but it is believable that Cal views the Patriots as extremely successful and that Caserio is the closest thing to that success that he can get. It is also possible that Cal has heard positive things about Caserio from other teams and football people.

I thought the Cal press conference was "fine". He didn't strike me as some cutting edge intellectual that also has a deep football understanding..... he struck me as most football owners, someone that is perhaps antiquated in some of his beliefs and views but that is about it.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

He may not have a “deep football understanding”, but I think he has a pretty good basic understanding of X’s and O’s. Cal was an all district tight end in high school, and he suited up for the Longhorns. He probably has a better understanding of what he’s seeing on the field than many other owners.

However, I think he’s completely lost when it comes to running an organization. I don’t think he’s a born leader. He’s not comfortable in front of the camera.

I think Cal got sold on Caserio a year ago, and now he feels like he got his man.

Cal is the type of owner that needs to find a strong GM that knows what he’s doing and then get out of the way. Cal turned over the keys to Bill O’ Brien after Gaines was fired, and that didn’t pan out because O’Brien was an inept GM. But, maybe Caserio will be the guy.

Hopefully, they can find a coach the Watson feels good about and everyone can move forward.

Nook likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The only takeaway I had from that press conference is that Cal has no sense of what's going on around him and isn't good doing media. Him trying to land jokes with media members who are grilling him, asking about their golf game when they are talking about firing the VP, etc. was all just wild.

Kim and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, and the more I see of Cal, the more convinced I am that the McNair family is going to do everything possible to hold on to the Texans because it is almost impossible to not make money. Cal isn't going to be closing any deals or make shrewd deals elsewhere..... he isn't an idiot but he is not living in the real world.... which is consistent with what I have heard in the past.... supposedly he got himself in some trouble when he was younger, messed up his first marriage badly and only settled down some when he was older.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. tigereye

tigereye Member

@JackEasterby responding to his critics.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

dang that was such a good opportunity for discourse instead of hurling a personal feeling grenade. Im glad that he did it since it shows me Easterby is definitely listening to the buzz, but he could have really cut deeper with just some back and forth if Easterby would have entertained him.

rusHour likes this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

We really sure this is Easterby? It's the internet, after all.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What does all of what he does... have to do with running a successful football team?

And this is not to slight anybody's views on religion or the inner peace/power one gains from devoting themselves to good religious practices.

I've just never seen somebody as high ranking as he is right now, with as much control/power/ownership devotion.... with so little credentials for the actual job at hand.

Or... maybe this is the perfect example of the power of prayer...

Nook, Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. conquistador#11

The Talented Mr. easterby.

Kim likes this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Why not just do it now?

Jwise44 likes this.
  20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't know, that sounds like Peter King just saying what would logically happen if this situation was occuring with the average NFL team.