1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The Key To Beating These Lakers... and a Guarantee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CB4ever, Apr 27, 2004.

1. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

OK, I didn't post for game 4. I felt it would be a one or two posession game, the outcome far from guarantee-able. I yelled myself hoarse at the TC, but what can you do. However, it solidified my belief that, as soon as the Rockets make this priority #1, they will win Game 5. Guaranteed.

Here it is: When the Rockets penetrate the lane, the Lakers' defense spreads its legs wider than a Karl Malone drive to the basket.

If Cat and JJ pull back 1/2 of their 3 pt attempts and take it relentlessly to the hole, the Rockets will score 100+ for the rest of this series. SF figured it out quick. Underbite is still getting used to being ripped a new one since the beginning of the series. That's why Big Chief Triangle has him riding pine in crunch time, but sneaks him on the court at times to guard Mobley.

There are SO many reasons why penetration is readily available and the Achilles heel for the Lakers. I will give you the Big Three, which may or may not be obvious to you.

1) The Lakers play a pre-zone rules defense with the fewest zone principles in the league. Y'all think SF has elevated his game over the regular season? Well, he has. Another question: Does he resemble the SF of old? Answer: Yes. He is effectively, pre-zone Steve in this series.

2) Shaq will NOT leave Yao (until it's too late). Of the pick-and-roll, off weakside penetration, Shaq is determined to limit Yao's scoring. But what he gives we MUST take. Exhibit A: Nachbar skip-de-do in the lane. Shaq was two beats too late. Exhibit B and C: Cat's two gimme lay-ups in OT off the PNR with Yao. Shaq will NOT allow a Yao finish. Shaq has been in Yao's shirt all series. While Yao has struggled to overcome the extra attention, the lane has opened further. SF's the only one taking regular advantage.

3) Malone is an atrocious help defender on penetration. Get a slap-happy 41 yr old with bad knees moving to try and limit penetration, and you'll get a 41 yr old with bad knees on the bench. This situation is about the only time Malone gets officiated correctly - when he reaches to help on penetration.

Again, there are about 10 more GREAT reasons why our wings can and should take it to the hole. Bottomline: When Shaq stays with Yao, a pre-zone Francis, Mobley and JJ need to carve up the Lakers like it's Thanksgiving.

See you at the TC on Saturday. ;)

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

excellent post on all points.

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Good post.

4. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

i love it.."underbite"

took me a lil to figure out who you were referring to...haha

5. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

you could get a job at ESPN For NBA Analyst

6. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

:) I'm still lobbying for Kobe's new nickname to be "Alleged".

Makes a great chant. "A - Lle - Ged..... A - Lle - Ged...." Mix in a few "Kobe Sucks" and I think you've got a winner. :p

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Totally true, that Fake show is slow on D, the times we have attacked the basket we have been successful.

I think we’ll see more of that on tomorrow nite!

8. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Then you'd get assinine memos like, "Stop referring to Shaq as Fat Albert, Bill Cosby called and threatened 'defamation of a cartoon character'."

9. ptw1

ptw1 Member

I agree totally. Also I'm tired of the Cat post ups. They work a couple times but his lack of a left hand becomes painfully obvious at times.

10. stra

stra Member

Seriously we need to stop letting Malone shoot all these jumpshots with no one near him!! Now either Mo or Cato get your asses out to at least get at an arm up or preferrably smack him hard... Just be tough on him he has been the Rocket killer and it is making me sick:(

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seriously good post, CB4ever. You think Van Gundy is thinking the same thing? Hope so.

12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Cat is left handed

13. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

That's Reason #4 (and #5): Put fouls on Malone (and Shaq) so that they can't hurt you (as much) offensively.

No one said it'd be easy. Drawing fouls from those two - you must take high-speed contact. Only SF has made it his mission. Cat is capable of the same. JJ has shown no inclination for it this series. More minutes for Nachbar?

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Great post CB! I was screaming for the drive all day, especially Steve and Cat. Those guys are so quick and they abuse the Lakers lack of speed and quickness. If we go for the layups (or fouls), we can score 100 on them and that usually results in a win.

Let's hope they realize this and take advantage.

15. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

i smell an upset :)

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

17. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Wonderful post daoshi (and MacBeth).

No, taking the ball to the rim is not a concept I invented. You caught me. ;)

However, with this particular match-up... with our guards and our big man vs their old, fat, slow, stubborn and ego-driven help defense... this should be the focus of the majority of our offensive posessions.

18. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

Good point generally, except Lakers has made some good adjustments and clobbed the lane pretty well in game four. I think Rockets should try some threes at the first couple of possesions, if those threes can fall, it would singificantly open more drving lanes for Steve and Cat. If they do not fall, then Yao need to aggressively attack Shaq to draw some fouls.

I expect Lakers go out play very aggressively to set the tone. The key for Rockets is to survive the first wave of Lakers attack in the first quater. Rockets defense need to ready for some tough calls against them early in the game.

19. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

I'll throw out Reason #6: The Lakers at home will get calls. Plenty O' Calls. The only way to neutralize or flip that advantage is to be ultra-aggressive on the other end.

20. Toast

Toast Member

I disagree with several of your points.

The reason Steve has been able to penetrate in the lane is not because the defense is giving us the lane. On the contrary, Steve is hitting 50% of his 3's in this series. They respect his outside shot, they guard him tight on the outside, he drives around and penetrates. They're giving Cat & JJ the long shots 'cause those guys haven't proven they can hit 'em. Defense sags on those 2 and they don't have room to drive.

Also, the reason Gary Payton sits in crunch time is plain & simple - he hasn't been hitting his shots. If he could make his shots, Phil Jackson would play him at the end of the games. This is simply a luxury the Lakers have that the Rockets unfortunately do NOT have. If we benched players for their inability to nail baskets when they really count, we'd be playing 1-on-5 or 2-on-5.