1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i don't think Bieniemy is the right guy, necessarily, but talk about piss poor time management by new gm and the evp of operations

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What was Caserio supposed to? Invent a time machine and go back in time, hire himself earlier so he could interview guys?

He didn't mismanage time. The Texans played around and didn't hire him right away when they should have.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We'll have to wait and see on this. There was some smoke about Caldwell being the guy. And with everything that has gone on, there is really no telling how this thing ends up.

4. justtxyank

Caldwell could be the guy, no clue. But he wasn't a major candidate. Maybe he wowed the owner, no idea, but neither does Florio who reported that. Florio did the old "buzz building in league circles that..." nonsense and the entire article is not that they are hearing it's a rumor but that they are hearing it would make sense for it to be a rumor.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Wait it out and see if Tomlin gets fired??

body slam and Fantasma Negro like this.
  6. justtxyank

By the way, Pancakes was on radio today and said it was 100% not true that the Texans were in contract discussions with Khan.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

hired on the 7th and the deadline was for the 10th, if that report is correct. So there was time, albeit not much. It would have been fast and furious but then again, it's one's job and responsibility to get things done. I mean, I would think a critical skill for a GM is to move quickly, adjust and get things done before deadlines.

8. justtxyank

His first official day on the job was Monday I believe. But even then, the window to interview closed Sunday. EB would have had to have his agent get a request on Saturday and agree to a flight down here on Sunday for a quick interview that he would have been ill prepared for and that Caserio would have been ill prepared for.

It's a sucky situation. The Texans goofed around and waited to hire the GM and caused a mess. But can't blame Caserio for that.

9. gucci888

The interview would have been virtual only since the Chiefs are still playing. Doesn’t look likely that any of the teams will pull the trigger without an in person interview.

10. justtxyank

You're right, I forgot that. So all they even had the opportunity to do was put together a 2hr zoom call with EB on Sunday. Again though, with no prep work done by Caserio beforehand.

They can interview him in two weeks basically. 1/25 is the next window. Same for Daboll, Staley, the Baltimore guy, etc. Why is EB the only one generating a freak out about the timing?

11. justtxyank

Texans will have Culley, Frazier, Staley, EB, probably Daboll and maybe others all on their interview list and all of them are ones they can't interview right now. For reason only EB is generating a backlash on the team.

12. Fantasma Negro

Hopefully he's hired before then, I don't think he's the right guy.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. gucci888

Is that date right? Thought the window is closed until they get eliminated or after the SB, whichever is earlier. If any of those teams make the SB, they won’t be able to interview at all until Feb 8.

15. justtxyank

Aaron Wilson's article said January 25th.

16. justtxyank

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Good one Cal.

18. gucci888

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Daboll runs the same EP that OBrien ran. Its gives me pause along with the way he runs Allen.

Nook, 3Rings and justtxyank like this.
  20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

They certainly shot themselves in the foot, I would just think that if Watson expressed interest in Bieneimy than someone in the administration would have thought to tell Caserio ' hey, we should at least get a quick call lined up before the window closes'. It would just seem like a prudent and easy thing to do, if nothing else from an optics standpoint. You'd also think Easterby would be well versed in tampering rules given his prior run-ins with Caserio.

I do realize i used the word prudent to describe texans management, so that's my error.

justtxyank likes this.