1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I don't know, the dolts took a og at #5 overall (iirc) recently and that worked out pretty well for them.
    Depends how good of a player it is I guess.

I don't know a lot of the names on the list well but But I love Jarrett Patterson rb.
    Would be stoked to get him, but I don't think he'll be there in the 6th.

Brady and an experienced DC sounds great to me though.
    Hoping Deshaun will get on board with it.

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

as crazy as it sounds even Wade Philips would be an option even though it wouldnt be my first option.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If we were to get one of those vet defense coaches. Most run 4-3 base.
    It actually might help.
    Cunningham, Adams are nice outside backers in a 4-3. Cunningham can’t cover well enough for Lovie system in the middle but he might be decent SAM and Cunningham Mike.
    Move Greenard, Duke, Mercilus to DE and have some decent options for interior tackles.

Verbal Christ and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Really, looking at our current personnel on defense. I think it would be better suited to an attacked 4-3 base

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Whitney should be somewhere else next year not in Houston.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And I would be all for Gus Bradley.

Two Sandwiches and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at our current D lineman, they really all look like 3tech types. Blacklock, Charles, JJ, Watkins.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Top 5 talent in comparison to a 3rd rounder will always be a skewed side by side, but I understand your premise and agree with building out from the trenches.

For this team how many 3rd rounders has it already wasted on OL and TE? Too many. I just dont think the new regime wants to come in doing the same things the old regime did. I think you have to go BPA on defense almost every pick. Pick up some veteran, stopgap interior OL guys for a year or two. Deshaun has shown to be effective regardless of the guys up front, and while having a great OL is a good idea it isnt a necessity with this team and this QB. Having a defense that can hold lead is of more pressing concern.

the investment on OL has already been astronomical while sacrificing other areas of the team.

Good RBs are only as good as the evaluator who spots them! I think you can find a young guy in the later rounds to come in here and compete even if its not Patterson.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Can't release him and doubtful anyone is going to trade for his contract. Another BoB/Easterby special.

Rudyc281, desihooper and RasaqBoi like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Shift to a 4-3? Move Ross to a 2 - Charles to a 4? Guys seem better fit to having only one gap to contain. Have Whitney come as a wide 7/9? Greenard showed no separation as a OLB - stick his hand in the dirt? Crazy in hindsight without pulling up draft profiles that these guys were slated as 3-4 Crennel type guys.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

that 15M dead cap hit sucks so bad. Especially for the worst OLB in football.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. showa13

showa13 Member

While I agree that a switch to a 4-3 will mitigate some of the front 7 issues, no defensive system change will matter unless we get an influx of talent in the secondary. Hargraves and Gaines have cemented themselves in the Faggins tier of bad CBs and Reid has some big struggles before going on the shelf. Fixing some of the secondary will be a massive step in becoming an average defense. If the D is average at best, at worst that will add about 3-4 more wins.

Rudyc281, Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, most of the D linemen we have are 1 gap size. Quick and athletic more than stout at point of attack. They might be decent 3-4 DE in a Wade type system but they need a 2 gapper in the middle (like Reader lol)
    And only reason I said 4-3 is because the coaches you mentioned run 4-3 primarily.
    I personally think our front 7 is better personnel for 4-3 right now.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, if Conley, Lonnie, Vernon, Reid (corner not safety) could reach their potential it would be nice. Probably not gonna happen.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. IKant

IKant Member

Didn't watch many games this past season, how did Nick Martin look? I know that contract is terrible.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

30/70 between good/bad. Probably won't be replaced due to bad contract, but we would be suited to upgrading at all 3 interior OL spots, potentially moving Nick or Tytus to G if we can upgrade the C or RT

17. WiltTheStilt13

We should get Jason Garret or the great Lane Kiffin to be the next head coach

18. WiltTheStilt13

And Trade Watson for Fitz Magic and sign Dwayne Haskins.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I see that you've been talking to this guy:
    [​IMG]

Rudyc281 and WiltTheStilt13 like this.
  20. WiltTheStilt13

Make Jack Easterby the Owner/GM/Head Coach too, Texans will no doubt be a a dynasty for year to come!!!