1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Thinking Basketball] Hakeem Olajuwon’s absurd post moves were only his 2nd-best skill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by calurker, Jan 12, 2021.

1. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Lock if posted.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He makes a great point about how his offense was still that in the playoffs and didn't dip in efficiency because of how versitile his repertoire was and how difficult his shot selection was.

Bo6 and ROCK3TM4N like this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Compare this AD, it makes AD looks like a scrub but because there are so many Faker fans, AD is gonna be labeled as an all-time great.

saleem, napalm06 and don grahamleone like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

his 1st best skill was his ability to fockass

fadeaway, Deckard, B-Bob and 6 others like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sticky forever

glynch and saleem like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't compare AD to Dream. AD failed as the primary star of his franchise.
    AD minus Lebron = AD with the Pelicans.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I wish teams treated Harden like that and forgot how good he was one on one. Players used to forget how good Hakeem was at blocking shots pretty regularly. That forgetfulness was so nice. Wish it would continue.

saleem likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

They started the series with Russell/Wilt. I liked the Bill Walton one because he doesn't get a lot of shine in today's conversations. It was teased they were going to one with Hakeem. Glad it's finally out.

#8 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    B-Bob likes this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Someone told me Christian Wood has Olajuwon potential

ROCK3TM4N, Os Trigonum and tinman like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rockets would have been better if they took the ball out of his hands :D
    *grin*

Rocket River

Patience and rockbox like this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

He is no Wood that's for sure but I respect Hakeem's game. Very similar to Covington.

rockbox and harold bingo like this.
  12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I am triggered

Salvy and Bo6 like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yeah, everyone needs to touch the ball each possession.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

Why? You do know Hakeem has not scored a single point since 2002 right? And even then he only scored 8 pts. Like I said, Covington.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there you've said it

Salvy likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Volleyball did not do it for Chase 'Hey bud, let's party' Budinger.

All those who said Harden was nearing No 1 in the Franchise.

Harden is so slow in comparison. Not close to being in the same ball park mobility wise.

#16 daywalker02, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    B-Bob likes this.
  17. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

JumpMan and CCity Zero like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

His shot blocking was tremendous to say the least. He was the last line of defense.
    I remember one regular season game against the Celtics. No one on the Rockets was playing good defense not even Mario Elie. Hakeem erased everything and we won. The Celtics were pissed off and stunned by his display.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Hakeem was the greatest leader on the court we ever had. He always knew how to set the tone. If we needed him to be the defensive anchor. He was the best defensive player on the court! If we needed an offensive juggernaut! So Be It! He was that too.
    He was the greatest person to ever represent the city of Houston and its sports.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Decent video but at 6:05 the guy uses a Penny dunk from the Finals to say that by then Dream had a slower motor and wouldn't contest everything--but that play was in the first half of a game. When I was watching it live I initially wondered why he didn't contest that shot too, but it soon became obvious that going against Shaq, Dream could not afford to get in foul trouble early and so it was a choice, not a physical decline. When you rewatch it as part of the game and the play starts to develop, you can almost hear him thinking, "I'll let this one go for now." Penny tries something similar in the late 4th quarter of that same game and Dream challenges it with good results for the Rockets. In fact, he's challenging everything late in the game when the odds of fouling out are greatly reduced. That whole series, he may have looked a little hesitant during the first 2-3 quarters, but it was really just playing smart and he always showed up in the 4th. That he adjusted his style of play in that way is perhaps his greatest compliment to Shaq but Shaq remains oblivious to it. That's another data point that, in my mind, puts Dream ahead of Shaq on the All-Time list.

Everyone talks about Dream's physical accomplishments, but he was an incredibly smart basketball player who took time to think through the game. He would not be as great without his understanding of both the larger issues and the finer points.