1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mets Acquire Lindor and Carrasco

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, Jan 7, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

#1 bobrek, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well... I suppose Cleveland in the market for a SS now, and has some freshly acquired assets.

Cleveland would still save a lot since Correa wasn't making what Lindor was in arbitration years. But how much would they give up for a rental?

Astros probably still better off either trying to work something out now while they have leverage... but I said the same thing with Springer and nothing happened.

3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good deal? Bad deal? Would you have accepted this for Correa?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/new-york-mets-to-acquired-francisco-lindor-carlos-carrasco/

In return, Cleveland gets four Mets, including two (Rosario and Giménez) who will likely make up the team’s middle infield at the start of 2021, no doubt an attempt by the team to stay relevant in a juggernaut-less AL Central. Isaiah Greene and Josh Wolf are longer-term projects who won’t have an immediate impact. Wolf, a second-round draft pick for the Mets in 2019, is a raw, lanky pitcher with a fastball in the mid-90s. Greene is a very fast recent draftee, and the hope is almost certainly that he’ll be in center field in Cleveland in a few years.

It’s hard to avoid feeling generally underwhelmed by the players involved given that Cleveland is losing Lindor and Carrasco. But the return also reflects the fact that acquiring a year of Lindor isn’t the same thing as gaining two or three or four. The Dodgers gave the Red Sox a solid package for Mookie Betts, but they also escaped without giving up Dustin May, Josiah Gray, Tony Gonsolin, or Gavin Lux. Rosario and Giménez are both less risky for Cleveland than typical prospects are, similar to Alex Verdugo, and Wolf and Green represent the “moon shot.”

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think the deal is...fine. Definitely a win for the Mets, but I don't know if anyone was going to give much more. I wonder if they could've held out and gotten a similar haul for Lindor individually eventually, and then Carrasco individually bringing back something additional--but there's enough risk on Carrasco's health to justify making the move now if that's what it took. And I think this is definitely better than getting comp picks.

For Correa...I still think the Astros should work to retain at all costs after letting Springer go. Correa's retention should be the consequence of that. But if they're not able to work it out for whatever reason, I think it hinges on whether the Astros are competitive. If they sign the RPs they're rumored to be in the mix for, bring back Brantley and someone like JBJ to man CF, and then perhaps trade for a SP at the deadline....they're contending, and I'd rather keep Correa and wait on the comp picks. If the corner OF spot is manned by Toro or a 2020 Reddick equivalent, with Straw in CF and Joe Smith/Pressly/Paredes as the back end of the pen (and again it's impossible to come to a reasonable contract agreement with CC), then yes I'd accept something like this for Correa.

The Beard and J.R. like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Makes me wonder if this deal drops the price on Sonny Gray. That could be an interesting add.

7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I can’t believe the Reds would blow it up this quickly.

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Next time use all caps

9. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Side note: Lindor and Correa have near identical 162 average but of course Correa has had the health issues.

I still believe Correa can be an all-star infielder the next 5 years if healthy of course. Correa is going to start making the kind of money in arbitration that will lessen the return considerable unless he is playing at an elite level. The only way the Astros trade him while playing at an elite level is if the team itself is under performing. Catch 22.

Most likely the Astros ride him out and hope he resigns or if his market is crazy you take the draft pick for losing him. He would have signed if he wasn't looking for the mega deal.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's ridiculous to even consider trading Correa.