1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(PFT) : Omar Khan was offered the job until Jack Easterby showed up to Cal’s House.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ReturnOfTheMac, Jan 10, 2021.

1. raining threes

The legacy of making billions on a mediocre on field product.

2. raining threes

Caserio is actually well thought of around the league.

The problem is that Cal has much more in common when it comes to life experience with Easterby/Caserio and even BOB for that matter than he does/did, with Watson,Nuk and he will ship Watson out just like he did Nuk to allow the franchise to have the culture more closely aligned to him, Easterby/Caserio.

I see Watson being traded before the draft and the Texans getting a PR out because Watson will have asked to be traded.

To all of the Watson fans are y'all on board with trading him? Because the current structure with Watson being a locker-room leader and having one set of values and goals and Cal,Easterby,Caserio having another set of values and goals will never work.

Nook likes this.
  3. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Seems to me he is getting paid to actively hurt the franchise. He has been in the middle of every bad decision the franchise has made the last few years.

persian hoopa likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why did they give him one of the richest extensions in NFL history... and then he proceeded to go out and earn every cent of it with his performance somehow improving despite the trade of their #1 WR, no running game, and the head coach getting fired.

When did they have this epiphany that you're suspecting?... if they didn't think he "fit the culture/demographic" they could have simply traded him on his rookie deal or let him become a free agent without franchising him.

3Rings and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Khan is not going to say anything directly but his agent sure wouldn't have a problem leaking this. My best guess on the leak is Jamey Roots who is apparently considering resigning. I assume he was in on the Khan interviews as Cal said he would and thought they had everything ready to go only for Easterby to snake himself in. Out of all the people in the organization, no one poses more of a threat to Roots than Easterby.

3Rings, steddinotayto and Nook like this.
  6. conquistador#11

Does mcnair realize he can hire easterby as his butler if he so wishes. Just keep him out of reliant
    You know what it remind me of..
    The whole Mark Cuban courting Deandre Jordan as it was being live tweeted. I remember saying that's not how it's happening. Y'all are some creative story tellers.

dookiester likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm guessing all of this will come out soon.... mainly because Cal and whatever is left of the front office seems to not have any handle on anything (unless Casserio has magically come in and fixed all the leaks already).

Tightly run organizations don't let this narrative get close to happening. Not even the dysfunctional Jerry Jones-run Cowboys reach this level of embarrassment.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Absolutely not to trading Watson

9. showa13

showa13 Member

The only way the Texans get any kind of PR out is if they got an unprecedented haul of compensation for Deshaun(a minimum of 4 1sts, with one of them being a top 5 pick) and even then they will be rightly dragged all over the sports world.

If an owner values a religious culture over a winning culture the owner and team will be unsuccessful. The fact that the culture dictates to trade a top 3 WR in the league for a 2nd and a negative value player already screams 'unsuccessful' and 'dysfunction'. This team is going nowhere as long as Easterbunny is around.

raining threes, King1, gatsby and 4 others like this.
  10. gucci888

To me, the only way this potentially ends is if Easterby is shown the door. I only say "potentially" because some other schmuck is going to find his way until Cal's ear.

My thought is that Easterby was behind earlier leaks that Cal was considering him keeping Easterby permanently. This quashed by both Roots and Cal so Easerby's best shot at keeping his job was keeping the GM search as little and controlled as possible. No worthy GM in their right mind would have kept Easterby around so when things progressed with Kahn, Easterby made a final pitch which of course Cal listened to. Now you have Roots pissed because Cal listened to Easterby even though he wasn't in the interviews, DW4 is pissed because Cal discussed Kahn with DW4 only for him to hear that Caserio was hired via Twitter. And of course, Easterby is sitting pretty and quietly in his Sunday's best.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It may not have been locked in place, but yes, I think Caserio was always going to get this job unless he turned it down.

- Nick Caserio was the Texans top choice the year they hired Brian Gaine. The Patriots refused to let him interview. (Easterby wasn't here yet)
    - The next year they clearly had been given the indication he was going to come here and they fired Gaine and put the wheels in motion to hire Caserio. Then got slapped.
    - In the months that followed they fell all over themselves telling anyone who would listen that they were moving on. Multiple outlets reported that Caserio was no longer an option in Houston, blah blah.
    - They go through an interview process and then bam, in a matter of hours really from the minute it leaked they were interested, he had the job.

You think all of that points to Cal wanting to hire someone else and Jack crying to save his job so Cal caved and hired Caserio?

It's possible Cal came to really like Khan or someone else during this process and waffled and then Jack Easterby got him across the finish line on Caserio. I don't know. But no, I absolutely, 100%, do NOT believe that Cal was all set to hire Khan, Khan was going to fire Easterby, Jack cried to Cal and Cal decided to hire Caserio to save Jack's job.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The melodrama is getting a bit much.

Cal is supposedly the owner, no? Thus he can override any GM's decision, no? If he wanted to fire Easterby or hire a GM that was going to fire Easterby.. he can just hire Easterby. Likewise if he doesn't want Jack gone... then he's probably not going to hire the GM that is going to do that.

In the end Cal's a schmuk. Easterby is doing whatever it takes to survive. Neither bodes well for the future franchise of this team regardless of who the GM is.

And I thought it was complicated back when Rick Smith was just the cap manager and Kubiak was the real GM (who actually hired Smith) and trying to figure out that power struggle (Kubiak wanted to keep Schaub, McNair/Smith were intrigued about Peyton Manning... blah blah blah).

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. gucci888

Caserio's extension last February did not have the clause that prevented him from coming the year before. So it wasn't them just telling people they were moving on, they did move on by naming BoB the permanent GM. In other words, they could have signed him outright last offseason but decided against it for whatever reason.

14. Major

Major Member

I could believe this except for the reporting that Khan was already in contract negotiations. That doesn't seem like a story that normally gets made up, and it doesn't appear there have been denials from either side.

15. justtxyank

Yes, I think Cal is a schmuk. I just don't think it makes any sense that he hired Caserio instead of the guy he wanted in order to save Easterby's job. It doesn't make sense that he was all set to hire Khan despite him set to fire Easterby but a last second cry from Easterby convinced him to save Jack. This is just ridiculous.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I wonder if Bob McNair would have traded Nuk?

17. justtxyank

I'm not clear what that means though. Also, like I said, I'm not saying there wasn't a last minute change, I'm just saying I don't believe it was because of some last minute cry fest from Jack that he'd be fired if they didn't hire Caserio.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree. Its a narrative that seems too constructed... or scripted... to be real.

Or they all are really just that dumb.

I think the agent coercing Cal that Easterby will be going with Casserio to Carolina, thus forcing his hand, makes a little more sense. That would actually explain everything. Cal decides on Khan per firm reccomendations oblivious to whatever Easterby's eventual fate will be... but he didn't want to lose him outright to Carolina either.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually thought the idea of trading him was the right one... he wanted a new contract, his production isn't going to stay elite throughout the prime years of Watson, and he had max value.

The execution of the trade was piss poor... especially when you look at comparable situations like Diggs.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Nothing about trading Hop was a good move.

clos4life likes this.