1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Not all trump supporters.But he literally advocated to splitting up the country. Look at posting history.

malakas, Blatz and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Believe it or not most congressman don't have security or a entourage. I talked to Lloyd Doggett several times on my flights to DC from Austin.

mdrowe00 and KingCheetah like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If these Republicans don't vote to impeach they are pathetic. Impeachment should be the LEAST of his charges. Trump incited this and watched with joy as they climbed the building. Any Republican who feels he should walk free should not be making decisions for this country!

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

1. I do think laws are fair, I don't think black people are treated as white people or other races. There is most definitely a bias on how some people view black people. Law enforcement and potential employers I'm sure have the same bias but not all. I'm Latino, I'm still a minority and I believe I've been treated fairly. Have I been discriminated against? Yes.... I'm sure white people would not want to be treated as a black person. I'm not arguing that black people aren't treated differently. They are, I've seen it in my field.

I'm merely just stating that I believe it goes deeper than just blatant racism, and in order to eliminate the problem it must start from the beginning. It must start at the beginning of a child's education, not by singling them out as different but by truly equipping them with the same tools as anyone. But what happens when that child goes home? What does the child learn at home?

If we take everything that has been argued today, Systematic Racism, Wage Gap, Low Income Neighborhoods, Tenancy at large, No Ownership of property, Bias against, Ignorant Racism, Poor Education based on location. What do we have? Probably a bad situation for children to be living in. Probably resentment from the parents towards society itself. Probably high rates of crime and violence or maybe even drug use. Probably uneducated children having children at a very young age continuing the same cycle.

When I speak of culture I'm not talking about rap music but for some reason some people here seem to think I'm blaming J Cole and twerking. I'm talking about culture. I'm talking about the reality that some of these children grow up in that do lead to bias and more racism.

2. I have a close black friend who has never been treated unfairly by cops, went to school and graduated with an engineering degree. Grew up in a single parent household as well, does this mean racism and bias does not exist? No, it does. And it is a problem.

But while some here are more concerned with proving me wrong, only @fchowd0311 has actually layed out a plan to fix it. And while it has many holes I rather go down that route than to continue rejecting anyone's opposing belief that its not just racism but more so a product of from the past and while it is still alive I prefer to talk about fixing it rather than fighting just to be right.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah I knew that but I figured Mitt being so high profile along with current events wouldn't be so accessible -- same with Lindsey.

#1706 KingCheetah, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    AroundTheWorld and Blatz like this.
  6. rockbox

The only reason I'm surprised by Mitt is because he's so rich, he could fly private.

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm going to just depart from this thread, I don't feel anyone here cares enough about an outside opinion even if it is genuine. Mainly its reddit, its an echo chamber where the popular opinion is celebrated and those who even slightly challenge anything different are downvoted and ganged up on. I'm sure many of you are happy about what happened to the capitol, because it validates your opinion and you get to be right. But you wont admit it, you never will. You just want to single out that one person that does not think like you and label them a racist, ignorant or anything that you feel like calling them just because they offer a different point of view.

I'm not trying to change anyone's point of view, I'm just trying to say there is more than just that point of view. And for that, I've had to endure all sorts of insults and false claims. Don't need that in my life.

durvasa and Two Sandwiches like this.
  8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I haven't read through much of the thread, but taking the post in a vacuum, I agree with you, in large.

Like everything in life, it's always good to hear a different view point. That pullback is often something that's needed - especially in politics.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again - despite the last four years, most people are not very different in their political views. A few hot topic issues may differ, but most people are far more center than the filth that's being seen lately.

I think 80% of the country is about to move on real quick and realize that.

Hakeemtheking, durvasa and Salvy like this.
  10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I would have liked to sit down next to him and have a nice civil conversation about politics. Politics intrigue me and would love to sit with an insider to know about the politic life

11. rockbox

Well unless you are in their inner circle you really don't get to "discuss" politics. They are most selling all the time like any sales person. That being said, I assume Mitt is a like most of my Mormon friends. Real stand-up person even though they are out of touch with normal people.

#1712 rockbox, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    No Worries and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

First:

Nobody is happy about what happened at the Capitol. We are all frustrated and angry at what happened. We aren't celebrating and pointing fingers at individuals because we are happy at what happened, instead we are frustrated and angry and pointing fingers at individuals that thought it was fine to just ignore Trump's base and Trump's narcissistic behavior. Please don't confuse it. I understand you are angry about being called out about the way you feel about systemic racism, but don't make up statements because you are angry about that.

Second:

You insist on arguing from anecdotal evidence. You have been given actual data multiple times thus far but since it doesn't support your beliefs of what systemic racism means, you've pretty much ignored it.

You argue that it starts with education, yet you been told multiple times that education is one of the issues. It starts with poverty, which means living in shitty neighborhoods which correlates with shitty schools, therefore it is a cycle that children born into poverty deals with. You throw in obstacles such as financial instability, uneducated parents, single parent homes, parents in prison, etc and it's just a whole different ball game.

You also seem to confuse that hard work gets you to a wealthier status. That's just not true. My uncle and grandma worked very hard, but lack of education and lack of any sort of trade skills limited their earning power. So no, those in poverty are not lazy individuals that just want hand outs. I am tired of reading about this from everyone that just because someone got themselves out of poverty suddenly means that others are just not working hard enough. I am in the same situation, born into poverty, struggled to make ends meet, my uncle nor grandma could never help me with school stuff, etc yet I am successful now and have moved up in the world. That's doesn't mean that every kid can do what I did. Obviously, in theory, we all have the same opportunities, but not every individual is able to climb out of the hole they initially start in.

DaDakota, Reeko, Outlier and 3 others like this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not so much you have a genuinely different opinion as much as you refuse to back up your opinion with facts and prefer to use stories instead which is not uncommon for people of a certain political persuasion.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Salvy,

I hope you don’t depart from this thread. My own view is that discussion about race begins with the basic issue of whether racism and inequity exists. Seems you agree it does. The question then becomes what the government and society should do about it. Seems that peoples views about what government should do is driven by their views about how important a factor that systemic inequality and racism is in the broader question of why do black communities struggle to escape poverty.

Hopefully I’m not putting words in your mouth, but it seems you acknowledge that systemic racism exists, but it’s not as big a deal as what people make it out to be, and the bigger issue is black culture ... decision making and values of the black community.

But that is hard to square with your bolded statements above about “Systematic Racism, Wage Gap, Low Income Neighborhoods, Tenancy at large, No Ownership of property, Bias against, Ignorant Racism, Poor Education based on location.” That statement would seem to suggest that you recognize those factors make it exceedingly hard for black children to break out of the cycle of poverty and engage in better decision making or having more productive values. That would seem to suggest that the cycle of poverty is driven by those factors, factors that are external to the black families. Granted, not the exclusive reason for the cycle, but major reasons for the cycle of poverty.

So why shouldn’t social and fiscal policy be crafted to address those systemic hurdles? We can debate what specific steps or programs would be most effective, but it would seem that economic opportunity and education are the places to start.

durvasa, vlaurelio, Outlier and 3 others like this.
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They won’t and it’s 100% a guarantee. They need or feel they need his campaign donation machine they use to their advantage.

Im sure some who want to run for president see impeachment as a nice outcome because it clears the primary path with Trump out of the way but we all know Don Jr. will be the heir apparent 10 times out of 10 if Trump has any say over it. Even if Trump is impeached and cannot run, Trump will try and do something like Putin did where he was calling the shots in another role with an idiot like Jr. technically holding the official title.

So the Republicans know he’s not going anywhere unless he flees the country or dies.... which is why they’ll end up making the decision if they having already to reject impeachment and be back on the Trump bandwagon of sycophancy.

I was against pushing to put Trump in jail before but I think it’s becoming increasingly more dangerous to allow him his freedom after he leaves office just like it would for any other country to allow an insurrectionist leader to regain his strength and come back again for another try.

And that’s just a start. We’ll have another Trump very soon after he’s out of the picture and this person will likely be much smarter and more like Putin then Trump. The cats out of the bag that America is primed for authoritarianism. We are very very vulnerable and it’s soooo incredibly important that the Trump Republicans not win back the House or Senate in the next few terms until the Democrats can harden our Democracy and infrastructure that Trump has hollowed out.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...as I've said to a lot of white friends of mine who wanted to ask my opinion on things like this...
    ...(and it's extraordinary how common it is that one Negro in a particular setting gets the honor of being the spokesperson for all Negroes everywhere)...

...you don't deal with the racism (and I mean white against black...and with no disrespect to anyone else outside of Native Americans, that particular dynamic is the most enduring and the most pervasive in our country)...

...you don't deal with all of the other things borne of it. The American society was constructed with specific intent and purpose, and reinforced legally and justified morally, all in that order. Nobody wants to go back as far as chattel slavery in this country because it hurts their feelings...fine, don't. Nobody has to go back that far. The end of world war two is as good a modern reckoning as any place else.

A society materially (not morally) constructed at virtually every conceivable turn, expressly excluding some in order to edify others, can only be accurately and objectively examined under those selfsame parameters...and can lay no claim of moral turpitude for reconciliation for those purposefully and regimentally excised.

The racism came FIRST. The racism was instituted societally FIRST. The racism metastasized and coalesced and continued to be tended and catered to FIRST.

...and it is quite interesting...and disturbing...that the most troublesome and pernicious aspect of this problem is so routinely cited as the last thing that should be addressed.

That's why there were no economic barriers at play between the capitol insurrectionists...poor white people, well-off white people...old white people...young white people...stupid white people...crazy white people...

...ALL could come together in that moment and convince themselves of the same lie.

Why?

Telling a portion of the truth is functionally no better than telling an entire lie, no matter the setting or stimuli.

And if telling the country the truth about its history (another responsibility, it seems, that has to fall on the shoulders of black people because our history is this nation's history) runs people off from facing it because we aren't going any further as a nation until we honestly do that...

...then so be it.

We're going to START telling the truth...

...or a whole lot more of us are going to wind up as dead as those souls in that capitol building...sooner rather than later...

...and I'm just about certain that there won't be anybody who wouldn't be just fine with saying that all of that would be Negroes' fault, too....

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'll give this one more shot,

Mainly because I appreciate you trying to understand what I am trying to get across. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm totally off but how could I be corrected if not heard and how could others find fault in their own thinking if not willing to hear.

I don't think I believe Systematic racisms exists today, I do believe it existed. In Real Estate we have something called blockbusting. It is illegal, blockbusting was used to convince white people to sell their properties due to an influx of black people coming in. While the end goal was profiting at the expense of racism it still kept white people from mixing in with black people. This was keeping black people segregated and in their own communities.

This was in a way an example Systematic Racism and it no longer exists today. Either way, there are predominantly black areas in this city the same way there are in every major city. And it just so happens these areas are lower income with higher crime rate. Higher alcohol and drug abuse. This leads to evictions, felonies, warrants and so on.

This is where I feel the real problem is, this what I mean by culture. All these things equate to low education and not necessary because the schools in poor areas have less funding, old books, and bad teachers. It's because the same child could go to a 5 star exemplary school but they still have to go home and experience some truly horrid conditions.

I don't think handouts are the answer, I don't think injecting money into these lower income areas will necessarily help. This just creates people who will now and forever depend on the government hence creating even deeper levels of poverty. Has a housing development ever worked?

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I believe there is already another thread for blaming/comparing to BLM/black culture

This thread about seditious treachorous terrorists coup attempt planned by the POTUS and his family, supported/incited by the GOP, organized by proudboys,6mjwe, 3%ers, and executed but maga supporters.

glynch, AleksandarN and mdrowe00 like this.
  19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I find your posts (not just this one) to be incredibly well thought out and informed.

Hakeemtheking and mdrowe00 like this.