1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump supporters...

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm just saying that there is a culture and its not made up. Perhaps, its a low income culture vs black culture and a young Mexican young man growing up in a bad culture could have a negative outcome.

What was not the norm in your culture?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Explaining why the riots happened is not the problem. Defending rioting as necessary for progress is what I was referring to.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You really are not as smart as you think you are and now you just arguing nonsensically it's as if you don't think these things are not happening all over the country and not just to the benefit of black people.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes there is a culture and its not exclusive to black people which you have said over and over again.

I listened to rap music and came from a single family home since you are the expert why don't you assess my lifestyle?

What's so bad about "black culture" as opposed to low income?

Let's not act you did not start this convo by saying black culture is the problem.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So brave.

Nook likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Maybe it's goth culture?

Nook likes this.
  8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Man I read that and all I could was shake my head and go WOW!!!!

I would love for a lot of these posters who write this stuff to walk in our shoes...

T_Man

jiggyfly and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

LOL!!!!!

Man you need your own comedy hour...

So let me guess... you're black right...

T_Man

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Guilt or was he going to spill the beans?

mdrowe00 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are well and truly a sad, pathetic creature.

AleksandarN likes this.
  12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

They had to wait until Donald left town.

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm not claiming to be smart, as other have said I'm stupid and ignorant. Maybe its true.
    I was able to work with hundreds of low income black single mothers. Many many times the priorities were in the wrong place. Where overwhelmed with bills and there was no father to help these women maintain constant income in order to provide for their families. There was always something similar happening in most of my clients lives, the main one was no father in the picture. White, black, Latino's there assholes in every culture. But why is it happening at a greater rate with blacks than the other? Systematic racism as @fchowd0311 says? Or maybe its upbringing and cultural. Dude I'm conversing with you not fighting you.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Because Blacks were systemically more oppressed than Latinos. The brunt of the Latino population in the US has come after the Civil Rights Acts in the 60s. They still have a rather signficantly lower median household wealth compared to median white household wealth. That's due to most immigrants that come from Latin countries are going to be more poor than immigrants coming from Europe or Asia due to the nature of a land border. Also a large portion of Latino immigration is happening after homevalues have priced out a lot of working class families. They didn't set their roots during the time when cheap mortgages were handed out like candy during the suburban boom after WW2.

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

his replies will be long winded, based in wealth equity or lack thereof and then he will attempt to be a complete jackass if you think otherwise just so you know ...you may want to converse with someone less obtuse

Salvy likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Yep, just another data point reminding us that because someone is former law enforcement, or a doctor, or a lawyer or a former military officer, or a physics professor it doesn't mean they cannot be a dumbass, or batsh!t crazy, or both.

jiggyfly and AleksandarN like this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Agree this is horrifying and reminded me of the 2020 summer riot attacks by BLM and Antifa that was deadly and abhorrent... we all need to come together and stop treating other political sides as enemies if we truly want a United States

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

predictable.

if this country comes together, it will be when trumpers like you see the light fo day, move from the extremism and ignorance you espouse, and join the remainder of the country where sense and morality reside, where normal political discourse can occur. The place of coming together will never be where you still sit.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...how about I toss a curveball into this?
    ...(hard to remember sometimes that this is a sports site)...

...Major League Baseball has been "integrating" the Negro League stats into the Major League Baseball records...
    ...(as much as for advertising and publicity as for preserving "history")...

...I was a young kid when Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's home run record. There was so much heat around that that you'd think the guy was trying to start an insurrection to unseat the president or something...

It seems like a good thing to do on the surface. We're all one big dysfunctional family now. No secrets. No hiding. No excuses.
    Throw it all into the same pot. Let's all see what stews.

I don't figure that's a good thing to do.

One, that's not the way to preserve history. Whether or not it's intentional, all that does is try to excuse or dismiss the reasons why there were separate leagues for Negroes in the first place, and therefore separate statistics for both leagues, who were essentially playing the same game.

Two (and this is really the juicy part, considering Major League Baseball's obsession with numbers and stats)...the numbers and stats just don't work.

If the idea somebody might want to convey is that there are comparable numbers between Negro League players and Major League players all across the history of the pastime in this country, fine.

But it really gets difficult to say that those numbers would be the same numbers if the playing fields, so to speak, were the same.

There's no guarantee that Satchel Paige would strike out as many white players as he did Negro players. There's no guarantee that Ted Williams would have hit as well against Satchel Paige as he did against practically everyone else.

In those two closed, separate ecosystems, even with the same metrics at play (pitching mounds, size of the infield diamond, length of the bats, calling balls and strikes, whatever), you are going to produce different results because of the participants involved. They're not particularly noticeable in aggregate, because the good players would be at the top of the listings and the not-as-good players would be towards the bottom of those listings for both leagues.

You smash together the amber of the moments in time that the leagues existed and decide we can make apples-to-apples comparisons, then you've messed up your experiment of trying to determine exactly who was better than whom.

Lot of people don't want to acknowledge that there were essentially two economic ecosystems at work in the United States for close to one hundred years after the Civil War. You say that to some white people who grew up and worked in the 1950s and 1960s, they take it as an insult to them...that they didn't work hard for what they earned. That they didn't deserve the good lives they were able to live. That they had moral superiority and American ingenuity and good old fashioned elbow grease to thank for all their success.

And they probably did. In that closed ecosystem. And in that closed ecosystem applying a closed set of rules to it...there's no argument to be made against anyone's success.

It's hard for those people to imagine not having the advantages of measured competition, or largely assured positive economic outcomes, or territorial security...especially sponsored by the state and would be considered social engineering by anybody looking objectively at the phenomenon now.

And it's sad to expect that Negroes were done a favor by being thrown in the deep end of the economic pool without so much as a life preserver, and pretend to be surprised that more than a few of them drown or don't make it to shore, when in the exact same circumstance, the white people were at least provided a boat and a paddle.

And probably even a nautical compass.

...(might be why so many people are talking about the planet being flat)...

Strangely (or perhaps not so strangely), the exact same economic circumstance was met by Negroes freed after the Civil War. Nothing to do with morals, it seems...but an awful lot to do with money.

And those Negroes didn't even get the offer of a life preserver.

Might be why there are more than a few black intellectuals (ugh, hate that...like it's not normal to be black and intellectual) who have in recent years pushed black people very strongly towards spending more of the money that they have with the people who could use it most...black people. Hoping or needing to re-create the enclosed ecosystem that created all of the wealth of other communities...

...Immigrant communities almost religiously do business with one another...buying, selling, trading, hiring, working with one another...but that's another discussion for another place...

...I suppose it could be suggested that why so much is expected of Negroes...to overcome the perpetually crippling economic and social impasse faced in this country by trying to mash together two different economic playing fields at every turn...

...is because that's all we've ever done.

I guess a lot of Negroes have played ball and joined the league.
    Probably why the rules everybody wants to play under keep changing...

#1620 mdrowe00, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Nook, jiggyfly, Rashmon and 7 others like this.