1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson unhappy with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 7, 2021.

1. Major

Major Member

You're assuming the Texans have some kind of leverage here. They aren't trading Watson if they have leverage. The scenario here is where Watson uses all of his power to force a trade - refusing to report/etc, using his no-trade clause to limit the options, etc. It just depends on how far Watson is willing to go, but if they trade him, the Texans aren't getting "fair value", whatever you think that might be. No different than the Spurs trading Kawhi or Pelicans trading Anthony Davis.

dookiester and Nick like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Miami and SF do want to get rid of their QB's... hence narratives!!!

Granted, the target audience that runs away with this stuff with a frenzy is being overly stimulated right now... the media knows exactly which buttons to push in regards to the Houston market.

Apparently the fan base is so easily manipulated here, and the media has no fear of reprcussions of loss of loyalty or backlash, hence why you'll see a similar stance in every single sports. Astros have a cheating scandal? Run them into the ground past submission, and continue to milk the article weekly for something that happened 4 years ago. Rockets shooting lots of threes? Make fun of them (now all teams shoot lots of threes). Rockets play small ball? Make fun of them... even though more teams go small in crunch time, including the beloved Warriors in their hey-day. Harden demands a trade? Deify him and crush the city/organization.

Of course the Texans don't need a media bias to look bad... they've actually done this all to themselves. Maybe this sort of reaction will impact the way they make decisions. Its such a blah franchise... have they really been involved in a controversy to this extent in their 20+ year existence?

UTSA2step likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. Pelicans aren't going to be automatic contenders any time soon. Neither are the Spurs. Both teams would have gladly worked it out with their stars if it was salvageable.

With as difficult as it is to find a true franchise QB in this league... the Texans decision makers have to be cognizant about the easiest thing to do here.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It was pure theatre. It was just a "show" to make it look like the Texans were doing a legitimate search. They weren't. After the tampering incident a year and a half ago, they couldn't let it look like they already had a handshake deal with Caserio before he was officially able to leave the Pats.

Of course, Cal and the Texans are incompetent so the charade is pretty easy to see through, especially after the news leaked that both Cal and Easterby flew up to personally pick up Caserio and also that his "advisory committee" was bullshit.

They said Easterby wouldn't be involved in the process. That may technically be true because by the time the "process" started, Cal and Easterby already knew they were going to hire Caserio.

Why haven't they requested an interview with Bieniemy? Because they knew Caserio was going to be the GM and that he had other coaches in mind.

This has been in the works for awhile. Everything else is just a show to hide that.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

DW4 needs to straight up tell Simple Cal that it is either him or Easterby and end this madness.

ReturnOfTheMac and dookiester like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And after the trade it becomes another Hopkins situation where the sports media wonder how the Texans could possible make a dumbass trade like that.

tmoney1101 and J.R. like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

True, but this is the NFL too. Teams have more power than the NBA and MLB.

Hopefully this is being blown out of proportion.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He (Tua) definitely portrays/fits some people's opinion of "Texans worthy."

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trouble is a brewing.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No way Watson gets traded.

He is mad now, but there is a reason Joe Brady hasn’t been hired yet.

They are going to restart the process to earn Watson’s trust with a fresh face in Caseiro and things will die down as they should.

If they trade Deshaun, I will go where he goes.

You can’t trade Hopkins and Deshaun back to back years and expect to have fans. I will be back once the owner sells the team in that situation.

This stuff seems so unlike Deshaun so this is bizarre in its own. As a player, you shouldn’t have a right to pick a GM. Makes no sense.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont understand how draft capital works in the NFL.

cause I’m just a random fan.

As a random fan I know this. Star QBs win and almost to a fault you can’t win without one. Like 90% of your ability to win a SB depends on having a star QB. You need other things but you need that.

There are, of course, instances where that isn’t true... but even in those instances, at least half (or more) of those times you have a no star QB go on a run that even the star QBs wound be envious of (see Flacco, Foles)....

Next... even with crazy draft capital... it’s not exactly easy to pick a star QB. The Bears, who would love etc trade a shot ton of assets for either Watson or Mahoney, could have easily just picked shin with their pick.

Next... this organization is moronic, so they aren’t likely to “luck” into another star QB like they did with DW (and it was luck as (i) he was available because of other teams ineptitude at drafting and (ii) very few in the org except for Rick were as in love with the choice).

If I put all the above tighter, I want from Miami, both firsts this year, firsts the next 2 years, and seconds this year and next year.

Apparently that’s “crazy” ask. I don’t see why...

it just doesn’t make sense to me... this draft pick value calculator. The best asset in that deal is still DW.

Even then... as a Texans fan I’d rather just keep DW. The Dolphins could offer first round picks for the next decade and I’d still have to think about it. 10 Mitch Trubiskys ain’t worth ****.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. JayZ750

yesterday I might have agreed with you but after today’s report I get DWs anger no doubt.

the minority angle was a farce. The search firm angle was a farce. Him being involved just to say yeah I like xyz was a complete lie. And the prospect of being a Phillip Rovers at the end of the day and not Wilson, Rodgers, Ben, Manning or even Brady type depends exclusively on the capability of the front office... which, at this point, looks like a **** show.

if I was him I’d absolutely demand a trade at this point.

steddinotayto and dookiester like this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

“This stuff seems so unlike Deshaun so this is bizarre in its own. As a player, you shouldn’t have a right to pick a GM. Makes no sense.”

Exactly. I don’t think that’s what he was trying to do though, because if it was I’d be okay with him being gone, but I think instead that he’s just rightfully pissed about the overall direction of the organization. You can’t really blame him for feeling that way.

16. JayZ750

they hired a search firm they paid a lot of money to. That’s early firm recommended two finalists. Not entirely relevant at that point but relevant now... they were both minorities.

Cal, part of a family and ownership with questionable actions as it relates to minority issues, ignored that and hired the white dude.

DW is a minority.

DW has leverage. He doesn’t need the Texans. If I’m him, ignoring the fact that there is dumpster fire potential just on the field, these actions alone would make seriously think about demanding a trade.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

If this happens I’m done with the Texans. I can’t support a franchise that traded the best receiver in the league and alienated one of the best qbs into wanting out because the owner has his head stuck all the way up his own ass.

18. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Are the inmates running the prison again? ; )

dookiester and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hate the Texans and their stupid cowboy name -- move the team to Clear Lake and change the name...

Clear Lake Oilers

sponsored by jiffy lube

tmoney1101 and J.R. like this.
  20. Fantasma Negro

They should just trade him.

Rudyc281 likes this.