1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Behind Enemy Lines [Washington Wizards]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Jan 10, 2021.

1. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Source - Real GM (Washington Wizards)

In addition a rehabilitated Wall, playing like he is now, would have had greater trade value than the Westbrook we have now. We traded low. If we had patience and waited, if Westbrook was the move we wanted, we could have swapped the two and RECEIVED assets in the deal. Wall still would have mystique as a player who perhaps would do better for another team, another coach, another system. In addition many of his turnovers have to do with trying to fit into a new system, but this team was assembled with Wall in mind. He has been studying these players for a year or more, he showed he played well with Bryant, he knows how to play with Beal. If he was playing here and we determined it wasn't enough, okay, we could have traded him to a team that wanted him, with more suitors than a flailing Houston. Frankly we rewarded Houston for underhanded tactics and played ourselves for suckers in league front offices. All because Ted had a hissy fit.

For all that Westbrook offcourt is lauded as a culture changing factor in the locker room, on court he is a culture changer in a negative way. He is not censured for jacking bad shots, his defense is iffy, and his on court effect under Brooks is problematic in terms of player development. Avdija loses touches to an inefficient stat padding gunner. Bonga is buried on the bench for not being a cheerleader. Brown has no role on the team since he has difficulty playing next to a guy with a sky high usage rate. But there is nobody clamoring for Russ since teams have seen his decline in attacking the hoop, and he has already been jettisoned by 2 teams, whatever his supposed locker room intangibles.

In addition it speaks to our team's loyalty and family perception. Russ may be a good guy, but John was our guy. Players notice and respect those sorts of things that elevate a team above 'simply business'. Ted did it wrong. Tommy should not have been pressured to make that change.

Of course they were. Lets not get it confused, Tommy loved Wall and knew he was back... Ted was the pearl clutching owner and told TS to trade him. If we had Wall instead of Russ and an average coach we are a top 5 seed this year. But alas, we have the chuckster and the idiot dragging us into the bottom of the league. Beal should demand a trade if Brooks isnt fired.

Wall now at 21.6 points 6.4 assists 4.7 rebounds 4.0 turnovers and 1.3 steals per36 with a -9.9 net rating and 54.6 TS%.

Rockets have a 1.0 net rating with Wall off the court, leaving Wall with a -10.9 net differential, good for 3rd worst on the team.

Westbrook is averaging 19.8 points 11.3 assists, 10.8 rebounds 4.6 turnovers with 1.2 steals per 36 with a 2.2 net rating and 45.3 TS%.

Wiz are -6.3 net without Westbrook, giving him an 8.5 net differential, good for 5th best on the team.

This isn't Webber, Mitch Richmond bad, but it's up there from a decision making perspective.

You traded the younger player with a better floor game and a 1st round draft pick for an older player that is more reliant on his explosiveness and two years and a whole bunch more mileage into his physical decline.

Just awful.

**** you Ted.

Maybe we are reading this trade all wrong. Maybe they brought in Westbrook to be the tank commander. Brooks is making his contribution with the wacky lineups.

Could they be playing 5d chess, executing a stealth tank?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#1 bleedroxred79, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It took me a minute to figure out whose perspective I was reading here. But yes, Wall is highly overpaid... but Westbrook does not play winning basketball. Getting a first did a little bit to balm the wound of the insane price we paid for him as a negative asset in the first place. Enjoy, Wizards fans.

#2 napalm06, Jan 10, 2021
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not enemy lines.

I was thinking about sending a gift basket for taking Westbrook off our hands.

Can’t thank Washington enough.

4. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

There's already a westbrook thread in the dish you know?

5. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I do know thx

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Now hopefully we can unload Wall easier than WB.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

So "Real GM" is basically a random Washington Wizards fan? This post seems nothing more than role play. Also what "underhand tactics" did the Rockets use? Did they hold a gm's family member hostage and say "if you don't trade us John Wall then you will never see ____ again?"

Rocket River likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

BigggReddd likes this.
  9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

The net +/- numbers posted seem to run entirely counter to the message of the article.

ronclone, harold bingo, HP3 and 11 others like this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, that part was a little confusing. But I'm assuming he's saying that a rusty Wall, who will most likely improve even more as the season goes on and get used to his new teammates, is still not really destroying the Rockets right now. His turnovers are excusable, and his overall play as been very controlled and measured. If they had just waited and stayed patient, they could have assimilated Wall back into their offense, which was already tailor-made for him. Instead, the Rockets are the ones who stand to improve as Wall improves while they know what they already have with Russ.

That's my take on his point anyways.

BigggReddd, HP3, IvanLCPM and 4 others like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

wall hasn't danced as a rocket. i am disappoint

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think Wall has been fine. I dont know how much I buy into the negative net rating.

He looks to be adept at hitting catch and shoot threes. He looks to be in control. He can create when JH needs a break . His defensive impact is notably better than Russ.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The defense alone is worth the trade. Offensively slight advantage to Wall because living in DC and watching Russ still take those ill advised shots in critical situations is something I don’t miss.

Wall is just more controlled than Russ. And I didnt think there was much difference in their shooting but I have to give Wall the advantage there too.

#13 mac_got_this, Jan 10, 2021
    BigggReddd and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now that Bryant is out for the season, they could play more small ball which suits Westbrook.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Thank you for John wall.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A little early to analyze the trade benefits.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’m going to guess those net rating numbers were posted right after our Dallas game which is REALLY skewing some of our guys numbers so far.

Up to date net ratings

Wall : +1.6
    Westbrook : -2.3

18. HardenVolumeOne

do you have hardens net rating, and where do you get these stats from

19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden is -1.1 via nba.com

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Since when were the wizards our enemies?
    Is this because Steve Francis dunked on Jahati White?

@Reeko

Sooner423 likes this.