1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Harden is a role player now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carl be all like

75613129.jpg

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

and also don’t forget he is the odds favorite to win the MVP according to a MVP tracker.

Oops, NVM, that’s ONE WEEK AGO.

LMAO

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Duhon, now there's one from the deep archives

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden doesn’t score over 20 in 2 straight games and we’re asking if he’s a role player now...

I see it’s comedy hour on the GARM

Harden scored under 20 13 times in 16-17. In 14-15, he scored under 20 points 17 times and averaged just 27 ppg. Was he a role player back then too?

Y’all forget that Harden didn’t really shoot that much before MDA. In 14-15, he averaged just 18 shots in 37 minutes.

stop the nonsense

MettaWorldPete, ElPigto and vlaurelio like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After his incredible midget ball stint last season
    No nba teams wanted him as a head coach

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Was Magic Johnson a “role player?”

vlaurelio likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#68 ApacheWarrior, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    daywalker02 likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and he's avergaing 27 and 11 right now. producing an average of 54 points a night

resurrected john wall's career
    and turned undrafted chirstian wood into an all star

randerson likes this.
  10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I dont understand role player. Was john stockton a role player? just because he got his team involved.?

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Averaging a 25-10+ is not really the definition of a role player. HOF role, if anything.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

According to what Silas says and how they have played except for the first couple games where James was his usual dominant self, it’s evident that he has played much differently and less ball dominant last 3 games. The reason? We don’t know. His stats indicate his usage percentage is down from last year. His player efficiency is also down. He is still one of the PER leaders in the league at no 6. His usage percentage is still more than Wall’s but has decreased since first 3 games.

My assessment based on all of this is that Silas has created a system that facilitates harden getting easier looks off skip passes, off ball screens etc to prevent those zone traps. The system also allows James to make better reads and be a facilitator making this offense go as we saw last night while picking and choosing his spots to attack. He is just finding himself in this offense it seems. James is playing hard out there on both ends. The lack of 30 or games is just not what fans are used to seeing. This doesn’t mean he isn’t giving effort.

13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Role player avg more than 10 assist per game?
    IMO he's playing more like LBJ role in regular season, get teammates involved first.
    I think this is good, it helps teammates grow.

heypartner and vlaurelio like this.
  14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Thats what a lot of fans are missing. Silas is unlocking a better version of Harden using both of his talents in scoring and distributing while MDA maximized Harden as a scorer. So in essence MDA made the offensive Harden fans have been so used to. I think he can have the best of both worlds. We may see his avg points dip but he is playing smarter and helping the team win. I do hope he is a bit more aggressive when he has the lane to drive and score but this will come in due time. The lakers games coming up are true tests. Really excited to see how Rockets play.

randerson and vlaurelio like this.
  15. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Maybe it’s much simpler. There’s been no question Harden wants out. Harden knows he can put up his normal 30-40 a game. He doesn’t question what he can do as that’s the known for him.

Perhaps he’s actually trying to evaluate what this team is capable of and not himself. What this coach and system are capable of. What I’ve liked is he’s still willing to take over at the end of a game when needed. Perhaps he is actually looking to see if this team is capable of supporting him and proving that they actually have something here. He knows any team trading is going to gut their roster. Why not find out if this particular team can a major player before he leaves.

randerson likes this.
  16. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I think will see a 20+ point and 20 assist game from harden this year.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Can’t win without multiple top tier stars that can finish.

Harden hasn’t had a top tier star able to compete healthy through entire playoffs.
    CP3 hamstring.......Westbrook quadriceps
    This is why Harden wants to join a contender with a couple high ranking stars.

If Tliman would climb the team payroll near the $150M area like GSW, Philly, Nets......then everything would be kosher.

But any team the Rockets trade Harden, we would want to dilute them of most of their talent.

I’m not big on the 6’3”-ish point guard being that complimentary top tier star. They tend to wear down by the
    conference finals or NBA finals. Dragic was another example of that last season. One of the few times I agree
    with Charles Barkley when he stated a team probably won’t win a championship if the team depends on the
    point guard as being your top star/scorer. Discussed this when talking about Isaiah Thomas (with Boston recently).

The 6’3” and under ball handler tends to get banged around and take a beating......and when not, often getting
    their shoots altered or blocked near the basket. So a zone can negate this if you have a good shot blocker like AD
    or Marc Gasol. Like John Wall to help during the season; but I don’t think it gets us the championship.

Just my opinion

18. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

He is only leading the league in assists so far.... The dude goes from leading the league in points one season then leads in assists the next..

Appreciate his greatness...

vlaurelio likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Could be who knows. My assessment was just based on the plays they run, coach’s comments and hardens own comments and statistics. I can’t assume anything or guess anything without supporting information.

20. paboy1984

paboy1984 Member

Harden is far from a role player its just a matter of time before he is back to dropping big numbers he just trying to figure the offense out