1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Johnathan Feigen and Mark Berman are terrible sports reporters.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swapshop, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Listening to these guys make my head explode. Half of the time they aren't even asking anything sports related and the other half its basically a repeat of a question the interviewee just answered. For about 4 days after new years Feigen was blasting music through his speakers that you could clearly hear and Silas even asked him about it.

These two just seem like stir the pot kind of guys that actually have no knowledge of basketball. You almost never hear a technical question from them. It is typically like what do you think about this political question or what do you think about the James Harden situation. I mean what exactly do these guys do to get paid? You could replace them with anyone from the streets and they would most likely ask better questions and at the very least learn not to blast music during the interviews.

What are your thoughts on this?

paboy1984 and Rocket River like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No sure about Berman, but Feigen is a very good reporter and I think he generally asks interesting/decent questions.

airflights92 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

#3 J.R., Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    xiki likes this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My thoughts are you need new thoughts, at least regarding these thoughts.

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

He seems like he has no interest in doing anything more than an average job. You can see how deficient it is when you look at the kind of stories that Kelly Iko is writing. Also look at the Dallas sports page, any one of 100 sports blogs/podcasts, or articles on Clutchfans.

I don't know about the music thing, and I don't understand it from the explanation above. Feigan seems like a perfectly nice person, but that's about it. I rarely see any basketball knowledge at all in his writing. He mostly asks basic questions about how players feel about a win/loss, what their status is health-wise, and just nuts-and-bolts type stuff. Has he ever written a deeper piece?

napalm06 and withmustard like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"feigen is a very good reporter" -- just when i thought your posts had already reached absolute nadir, somehow someway you manage to burst thru the earth's mantle :D

Astrodome likes this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

The questions do get repetitive at times. Reporters should have 2 or 3 back-up questions, so that when the reporter ahead of you already asked it, ask something else.

The Sterling Brown one today, Josh Robbins threw a curve ball. Timestamped at 5:28

"I'm writing a piece on floaters"

Invisible Fan and Dankstronaut like this.
  8. durvasa

I think that's fair. I used to read Chronicle writeups much more than I do nowadays. I kind of like that his reporting isn't too sensationalist or overly opinionated. Maybe its just a stylistic preference for me.

9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Yeah... I don't know how the paper thinks of it, but I guess he's the "beat guy" that does game summaries and basic info articles.

I don't follow the Chronicle either, but it doesn't seem like they've ever really had quality writing.

I still look at his articles and follow him on Twitter because he gets Rockets news sometimes pretty fast.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think Berman is great at breaking stories (in person, anyway), and I think Feigen asks pretty decent questions that aren't overly-technical, but Berman's questions are about some of the most mundane trivial questions I hear. It's almost always "what did it feel like to ..." lol. I swear, there was a day where he asked the same question to 3 different people. I think it was "what did it mean for coach to get his first win?"

But then you have to think about it and realize some of these guys have to write stories or broadcast to people that don't care about taking basketball to any kind of detail -- they just care about it on a superficial level, and there's nothing wrong with that. So in that regard, they're just looking for mundane quotes to publish.

I hope it's not a case of "whatever... I'm getting a paycheck, and everybody gets their news on Twitter, anwyay". lol.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jon Feigen is the cottage cheese of NBA beat reporters. Earnest, filling, but ultimately lacking in substance. He's a genuinely nice guy, though, from what I can tell.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Feigan just tolls the company line most of the time.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"Toes". :D

This is true, which is why I don't have anything against him. But it also brings up another good point that most of these guys can't piss off players or teams with too many serious questions or they may lose their paycheck. :D But some of those post-game/pre-game questions are painful.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. durvasa

I think Feigen strikes a good balance between asking questions that his interviewees would be comfortable answering and getting something interesting out of them.

It wouldn't be easy to come up with something super fresh and interesting all the time when you have to churn out content each day of a very long NBA season.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Welcome to Houston

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like Jonathan Feigen. And I do understand that he doesn't want to cut off the branch on which he is sitting. When Blinebury started writing acidic articles about the Rockets, he was gone soon thereafter.

TimDuncanDonaut and durvasa like this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Vanessa Richardson

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Hey Brian,

its on me.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Another good point. But I think part of what ticks people off is that Berman, for example, seems to take the age-old "just ask a generic question and let the person answering build the story" method of questioning. His questions seem so so remedial, it's like "did you actually even watch the game?". Berman is no slouch, so I know he's not some idiot, but I also get how it's annoying to hear the same thing over and over. I'm guessing they can't ask questions like "You guys seemed to add a new wrinkle to the game plan at 3:52 of the 2nd quarter... " yada yada because most fans don't care and he may look stupid when it's not a new wrinkle or the player has no idea what he's talking about (not everybody's Lebron... lol).

Again, I don't think the target audience is the crazed basketball fan -- they're just trying to get some quotes to fill an article, for the most part. In an age where everything seems to be clickbait and garbage reporting with no real verification, this is what we're left with from legit news articles - an article with a couple of quotes and filler. Most of the serious basketball talk is on more technical sites and various other basketball blogs/forums.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, that guy. I've never forgiven him for writing, before the series started, that the Lakers would beat the Rockets in the Western Conference Finals of the 1985-86 NBA playoffs. That we didn't have a chance against the defending champions. It didn't work out too well for him when we defeated that Lakers team in 5 games, Olajuwon and Sampson both having their way with LA.

kjayp, joshuaao and AroundTheWorld like this.