1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is our Offense SUPPOSE to look like?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 6, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Look like Golden State, but only better. Because everyone knows ball movement equals automatic championship.

Ask GSW and Spurs last season.

pr0wler and D-rock like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall leading 2nd unit is perfect role for him.

I'm only addressing which players should lead 1st unit.

pr0wler likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

Mavs and Silas offense was most efficient in NBA history, but that did not equal more wins than MDA and Rockets.

Wins matter.

Mavs barely made playoffs even with such a historically efficient offense. And fyi, Luka was 2nd highest in usage last season in Silas offense.

So limiting Harden's usage makes zero sense IMO.

Silas needs to double down instead.

#63 D-rock, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You were wrong about what I was thinking. Didn't say Princeton offense. (12)

D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yeah, I can't work with this.

I'm an artist dammit!

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

The two main defenses working against us are the Harden double team, and the Box and 1. We're getting better at the former. Nwaba is probably just as good at attacking closeouts as Russ was anyway, but now we have Wall and Wood who can create their own shot in advantage situations.

Last night, the strategy that gave us the most problems was the Box and 1. One guy mans up on Harden at the top of the key, while the two guys on either side play off their man slightly ready to help. There was literally no room for Harden to drive, so the man to man defender could overplay the step back. Charlotte did this against us last year too and they killed us.

I'm hopefully that with Wood back, we actually have a big man that can attack the middle and create some options.

D-rock likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bmac needs more PT. If we brought GG back he would help drastically too.

pr0wler likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Harden came into camp a week late then missed half the preseason games in a year with barely any preseason.

then 4 rotation players were out for two games.

Harden missed a game.

Boogie got thrown out of a game.

Wood missed a game.

I have no idea what the offense is supposed to look like.... but I also have no idea how anyone could install any offense in that scenario.

I also recognize that it looks messy is probably for the best right now. Figure out all their flaws now. See if it can be fixed. If not... oh well. That team with arias and Covington and MDA and Morey wasn’t doing ****.

rhee and roslolian like this.
  9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Well, I’m under the premise that Harden is leaving-untill he says otherwise.

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Man, I really hope that Harden stays.

Top 5 players just dont grow on trees.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Everyone hates Moreyball, small ball, call it what you will but Morey/MDA always pushed to contend for rings every single season even with limited rosters due to their high variance strategies like volume 3's, generating more TOV than opposing team, high efficiency scoring (3's, layups & FTs), switch everything defense, etc.

https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/09/21/houston-rockets-jj-redick-daryl-morey-credit/

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No doubt. Teams used lengthy wings to trap Harden at half court, make him lob to shorter Westbrook....allowed Kawhi
    or Paul George type to move on from Harden trap to getting back in the play.

Westbrook was too injured to make teams in the playoffs pay for the half court double on Harden. Instead we had to go
    with the taller Jeff Green receiving the pass at the free throw line and try to distribute from Green. Westbrook lack of
    shooting hampered that equation as well.

Imagine C Wood in place of Jeff Green.........and no Westbrook allowing the opposition to bog down the paint?

Change out the abundant 6’3” players for 6’7” or 6’8” players to match the 6’8” Kuzma, LeBron, M Morris.

Championship model right there. Slashers could be added. The spot shooters we had last year are not all suited
    for slash and cut to rim types. Tucker can receive the pass but rarely finishes at the rim with authority. House can.
    Nwaba can. Tate is crafty near the rim. But they are raw.

Silas/Stone have done the best they can in a short turnaround and with the limited finances allowed. Tip of the cap.
    But I remember the Rockets switching everything on the Warriors in a playoff series that caused havoc on the
    wonderful Warriors ball movement offense. The back screens and slash or back cuts to the rim went nowhere as we
    just switched everything. They had to dump all that and go with old reliable.....Durant Iso.

MettaWorldPete and D-rock like this.
  13. vator

vator Contributing Member

Also in regards to the GSW, it helps when you have a minimum of 4 guys on the floor who can shoot, pass, and dribble or go to a 5 out (Death Lineup) where your center is not only your best defender, but also your defacto point guard who is passing to two of the greatest knockdown shooters of this generation. All that and as you pointed out, we still bottled them up. In comparison, who exactly are we running all these actions to try to get the ball to? Harden and Wall don’t need all that. They are elite 1 on 1 players. We trying to keep Eric Gordon happy?

We better start seeing a higher portion of easy layups and wide open three pointers being generated soon or this Harden situation has the potential to get even worse. Feels like we’re sitting on a powder keg.

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Spot on. Personnel matters. The only true screen setter is probably Cousins. The others are questionable.

D-rock likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

My honest answer is, I don't know. There is a temptation to go back to last year's system because it had relatively good success. I wouldn't say we had snipers last year, but it feels with the personnels this year it's slightly worse in perimeter shooting. (be it regression or the new guys not having it in their game yet).

Season is still early, so I also don't want Silas to feel like he doesn't have room to continue exploring options on offense. Pressure will build if the team continues to rack up loses. From an aesthetics perspective, I personally don't care how we get the buckets, so long as it translates to wins.

In some of the interviews, defense was mentioned as focus. Team made strides, still room to grow. Maybe in upcoming practices and film sessions, the offense can gets more focus.

This is one of those situations where I hope the paid professionals will figure it out.
    • Tailor the system the personnels is probably key. If there are glaring holes that can't be filled, be it height/wingspan, talent at specific areas, I hope the communication from Silas to Stone is still open to get the right role players.
    • For the assistant coaches who work with the individual players, I'd sprinkle in realistic stretch goals.
    • Can get creative: Nash said in their locker room they had competition on free throws efficiency.
    • Knowledge sharing. I get the impression guys like Wall watch lot of games and films. In addition to watching, how much of it is the coaches and vets interpret and teaching this to the rest of team. Learning is a perpetual process.

#75 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There was nothing wrong with our offense the last 5 seasons other than the fact that they don't know what to do when Harden is doubled at half court and when he's sitting on the bench. We had the solution 3 seasons ago. It was called a healthy superstar that didn't have serious holes in their game. The only way things get solved is if Wall learns how to shoot or Woods gets more aggressive and learns to be a playmaker.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You hire MDA - your team gets an identity. You hire JVG - your team gets an identity. You hired Silas - this is what you get.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  18. realonemo

realonemo Member

The only the rockets competed over the last 5 years was for Harden to be a top 3 usage guy. I just don't know how we can win any other way.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What are some ideal stat lines?

Harden - 30 pts - 10 asst - 5 rebs
    Wall - 24 pts - 9 asst - 4 rebs
    Wood - 20 pts - 3 asst 11 rebs
    EGO - 18 pts - 4 asst - 4 rebs
    Cousins - 10 pts - 2 asst - 10 rebs
    House - 8 pts - 2 asst - 7 rebs
    PJ - 6 pts 2 asst - 8 rebs

Rockets - 116 pts - 32 assts - 49 rebs
    Maybe a bit much
    Rockets - 110 pts - 26 assts - 40 rebs --- seem more realistic?

Which of these are the most unrealistic?

Rocket River

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better defense?

D-rock likes this.