1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does a successful Harden trade look like to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Jan 8, 2021.

1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd want it to look very similar to the Paul George trade -

1) A high upside very young player who could be a star (SGA)
    2) A useful vet that can play 30 minutes a night at a position of need, must be a good fit for our current team (Gallinari)
    3) A whole shitload of picks (5 FRPs and 2 pick swaps)

hakeem94 and Mr. Space City like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Whatever FRPs we get back need to be totally unprotected, and hopefully coming from teams on their way down, or teams that are down every year.

FRPs are not a good return for a superstar if they all land in the 20-30 range.

hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  3. bro2044

bro2044 Member

MVP level player or a team's worth amount of 1st round picks.

Other than that, f it.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

1) one young, near star
    2) one or two high upside players
    3) 2-4 FRPs, depending on the quality of #1 and #2

I actually don’t care that much about the filler contracts we take back, though the worse they are (longer with higher salaries), the more draft compensation I demand.

In reality, that looks something like:

1) Murray, Brown, Anunoby, Adebayo
    2) MPJ, Gilgeous-Alexander, Halliburton, Herro
    3) picks the go farther out...2023 and later

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

There is no player coming back that even has the potential of being as good as James Harden. If we want that guy we're gonna have to draft him. So what I want if we trade Harden is a buttload of picks, a young promising player, and most importantly we have to offload every vet other than Wood off the team. Wall, Cousins, Gordon, Tucker, House all gone. Maybe use some of the lower end assets from the Harden trade to move Wall (though he may be building some value himself through his play so far). I'm not too picky with the guy we get from the trade. Herro/Siakam/Simmons/Brown/MPJ/Haliburton/whatever just have to be good enough to be the number 3 behind Wood and a top 3 pick from the 2021, 2022, or 2023 draft.

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

My successful Harden trade?

[​IMG]

Rockets Red I want to stay and win a chip Harden!!

This is the only successful trade in my opinion, every other trade that’s likely to happen is going to be of less value!!

7. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Obviously MPJ and Brown are the priority targets, but if that falls through — the Miami package isn’t bad at all:

Herro
    Robinson
    KZ
    Precious
    2 FRPs, 2 swaps
    Salary filler

You get your potential young star, good rotation piece that can be plugged in immediately, two young prospects, picks, AND salary relief on top of that. Miami has the best package in terms of checking all the boxes.

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

James does not want to be in Houston....we does not have a injury or in a shooting slump.....as a great man once said, "He Quit!!!"

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Successful for who? I mean I would take Tatum and Brown, I would find that as a successful trade but it wont happen.

I think Brown + some depth might be worth it at this point. Someone to replace House and maybe a backup center. Brown is like 23 and on a 3 or 4 year friendly deal.

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

For picks, I would think a fair haul would be 2 unprotected firsts, one protected first (top-5 or 10), and two swaps. These picks would be targeted for future years - 2025, 2026, 2027, etc.

11. Evans32

Evans32 Member

The only team that has everything the rockets want is the pelicans. Ingram, another young player, picks. But that scenario will never happen. If the heat keep struggling I can see a deal happening with them or we just stand pat until the off season and see if Philly is still interested. Boston is definitely not trading brown.

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden for LeBron. there is no other trade

harold bingo likes this.
  13. sydmill

sydmill Member

https://tradenba.com/trades/0MV2pYtVZ

Rockets end up with a core of Wood (25), Tate (25), Hunter (23), Thybulle (23), Huerter (22) and KJ (20).

Rockets would have 5 FRPs and a high SRP in '21 to add to that (I would wager they would consolidate to move up and or obtain more picks in '22 and beyond).

Rockets would still have Boogie, EGo, Wall, Gallo, McLemore as trade chips to move for other pieces.

Oh, and TF saves $20M...

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Presti hit that out of the park. SGA is really good despite being down this year. PG is not a top 5 player either.

napalm06 and harold bingo like this.
  15. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Ben Simmoms, Buddy Hield and a 1st and 2nd round draft pick.
    MPJ, Buddy Hield and a 1st and 2nd round draft pick
    Pascal Siakim, Buddy Hield or Norman Powell and a 1st and 2nd round draft pick

#35 ballplayer, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    CHAMPBOY likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Don't know about successful, but it looks like to me all parties involved will end up unhappy. Harden, where he ends up. Rockets, what they end up getting in return.

Doesn't mean we wont have something to build with once its done though.

At this point, I would rather have a somewhat less talented team that has cohesion, focus and purpose than a more talented one with Harden that is borderline dysfunctional.

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Young All-Star back, the younger the better.

3-4 future first round picks with no protections and swaps.

18. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

We must get set of future prospect with which we can compete for championship again in next 3 to 4 years (i.e. along with wood). Hence, something like Jaylen Bown/Jamal Murry plus picks/potential would be a succesful trade for me.

#38 csnerd84, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is a trap. I'm not about to expect a successful trade. I expect a terrible loss, but we might get the first pick in the lottery sometime in the next three years.

We do have our own pick sometime coming up, right?

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You cannot trade a player of Harden's caliber and not get worse. Can't be done. So anything less than a half a dozen future unprotected first round picks is a failure. Trading Harden can only mean rebuilding and we need the assets to rebuild if we're moving on from him.

I'll tell you, for example, that nobody we get is going to be as good as Bradley Beal. And did you ever, for even one second, consider the Wall/Beal led Wizards a contender?

Wall, Wood and whoever we get will not be leading us to the promised land. We either keep Harden and try to make it happen or we rebuild.

JumpMan likes this.