1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Pardons can be pre-emptive and can cover the entire country. Remember, Carter pardoned all draft dodgers in a single declaration, despite most of them never having been prosecuted.

If Trump wants to pre-emptively pardon everyone, nothing can stop him.

mdrowe00 and Nook like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's being dumb and having privilege. Again, many of these people know very legitimate authority figures like large sectors of law enforcement are on their side on many things. They believe they are entitled to storming the capitol.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to agree with this.

These people have been told by the President, by the media they follow and by some other elected officials that the Democrats had a coordinated effort to steal the election from the President.

Many of these people believe (and still do) that is exactly what happened........ and then that the Congress and Senate were going to allow it to happen.

They felt completely justified in protesting at the Capitol and then breaking into the Capitol building (especially after McConnell spoke). They believe they represent the people, and the Capitol building belongs to "the people".

I have heard some of his supporters tell me that we should be grateful that they decided not to "take" the building and destroy all those in their way.

Also there is a key attitude missing all of this....... MANY of these protesters had zero fear or being shot or killed by the police or any other entity, They view the police and authority as working "for the people" which really means white people like themselves. I guarantee you that when they entered the Capitol they did not believe and likely still do not believe it will have dire circumstances for them........ that is an attitude that isn't shared by women, the poor, minorities and other marginalized groups.

#1043 Nook, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah that's what I thought while watching the video its freaking bizarre but with all the kaos maybe the cop did not know who was on the other side of the door, which illustrates how dangerous this situation could have become.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's my 1st time seeing what Cruz did.

SMDH.

Talk about naked ambition and then that tweet, I bet Heidi is like leave me the **** out that ****.

What must his children think of him?

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

These people may not be stupid but they are certainly gullible. They have been lied to for 20 years by forces that simply want to exploit them. For TV ad revenue, for political contributions and for tax cuts. It was their own bias of white supremacy that allowed them to be fooled though because any minimum effort to listen outside their bubble would have given them reservations. They chose to be fooled.

Frankly I can't believe Twitter let Trump back on. He's a vampire that needs a stake driven through his heart.

FrontRunner, mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This whole incident is White Privilege personified.

Anytime someone claims it's not really a thing please direct them to this.

mdrowe00, Dubious and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

Ya many of my former peers who have been more sympathetic to Trumpism the past few years on facebook are now positing memes like "leave it up to the left to make every event a racial issue".

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Man, it's a bad time to be quoting Hitler, Tone deaf much?

No Worries and mdrowe00 like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mollyhensleyclancy/trump-rioters-online-aftermath

On the website that was the epicenter of plans for the violent insurrection at the US Capitol Wednesday, some of President Donald Trump’s most loyal followers, who had for months shamed, silenced, and banned anyone who criticized the president, grappled with a new feeling after the riot ended: betrayal.

For months, the forum TheDonald has been a gathering place for people planning to try to overturn Trump’s election defeat. But when its users actually broke into the Capitol, as they had promised to do for months, the site tried to rapidly change course, saying it would “follow President Trump’s lead” and would not allow “organizing, or calling directly for, violence of any kind.”

The reversal, which moderators hinted was made under pressure from the site’s hosts, left some Trump loyalists in disbelief that they had done anything wrong: They were, they said, only following the president’s orders.

“I don’t understand the thinking,” said one popular post on the forum. “Trump told us to march down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol. We listened to the president. They should be thanking us.”

"For weeks people were saying how ready they were to fight. The moment it happens everyone starts pearl clutching," read another popular post.

For some, Trump’s video Thursday night, where he acknowledged for the first time that he had lost the election, only intensified the feelings.

“Wow, what an absolute punch in the gut,” one post with more than 100 upvotes said. “He says it’s going to be wild, and when it gets wild, he calls it a heinous attack and middle fingers his supporters that he told to be there. Unbelievable.”

13. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I wish there was a God, @Nook...
    ...cause I'd certainly ask him to bless you for this.:D

...and I get it...you're just outlining the train(wreck) of "thought" in all of this...(you're one hell of a lawyer, I bet)...

...I'll simply say that, for me, I've never prided myself on qualifying how "intelligent" I am or am not, by how many degrees I have or how many high stations I may hold or have held.

Our uniqueness (and subsequently our "intelligence") as human beings bares itself out, to me, by what we choose to align ourselves with as self-determining, sapient creatures.

We don't have the luxury because of that state of being, in my mind, of simply falling back on "animal instinct" or "human nature" as an adequate explanation for anything we do, even though it is very much common practice.

We don't get to pretend that we don't know exactly how things will turn out is a good enough excuse/reason/justification for why we take certain actions.
    Because both actions and their subsequent consequences (at their most basic levels) are predetermined and inevitable.

Whatever it is anybody wants to say about not expecting to wind up where you find yourself, you arrive ultimately at the destination you set course for.

...or maybe I should just go ahead and dumb this down for all of the "smart" people out there:
    "...garbage in, garbage out..."...

#1053 mdrowe00, Jan 8, 2021
    VooDooPope and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The willingness of half the country to over look all of the red flags around Donald Trump and vote for him was enough for me to see the depth of white male privilege in this country.

Everyone uses the term "white privilege" but it is mostly white male privilege.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mollyhensleyclancy/trump-rioters-online-aftermath

One post, with some 250 upvotes, read: “He calls people to descend on DC for what, 9 hours, then instructs them to go home? People have lost time, money, family, potentially careers and even their lives over this … and a ‘Thanks for coming, go home now’ is what people are instructed to do?”

“Exactly. Trump betrayed us,” a popular reply said. “He should have asked us to occupy the city. Unless they got him, and it’s not really him speaking.”

“I just want to save the country,” said another post, with nearly 150 upvotes. “I don’t care who we follow, but I’m beginning to doubt that person is DJT.”

Many of TheDonald’s users saw the riots Wednesday as an ultimate failure, frustrated that supporters had complied with orders to leave the Capitol and had not instigated armed conflict with police. “There is a time to be disruptive and a time for actual violence. Today was the time for focused violence, and nobody came armed and ready to commit,” one user lamented.

16. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

As a public service message, an easy way to contact your Congressional representatives about actions following Wednesday's attack on the Capitol: text "RESIST" to 50409 (Resistbot)

From there, there are a number of options that are currently trending:

* Contact your representatives about invoking the 25th amendment: "SIGN PLWMCP"
    * Contact your representatives about expelling seditionists from Congress: "SIGN PZEHUP"
    * Contact your representatives about impeaching the President once again, this time for his role in inciting Wednesday's attack: "SIGN PXLKHA"

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. Mr. Space City

damn, ashli babbitt died to not only not get acknowledged by trump, but have her actions condemned by the man she was "fighting for", and his supporters call her death a false flag....

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Your right it is mostly that.

I have never really liked that term because its painting with a broad brush but this just put it all on front street.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh NOES!! Mike Pence is Angry. You won't like it when he's Angry!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...25th-amendment-talk-capitol-riots/6582212002/
    Pence must continue to do his duty, amid “Trump’s madness and demagoguery,” to try to hold the executive office of the president together for the next 13 days.

He now takes the baptismal showers twice a day and self flagellates rather than mother doing the punishing.

#1059 Invisible Fan, Jan 8, 2021
  20. fchowd0311

She died wrapped around a Trump flag. I genuinely feel bad for her. She probably was a normal lady. Serving in the Airforce. Maybe she was a good family person also. Unfortunately she checked her Facebook news feed too often and got brainwashed. It's sad. It's tragic. I'm sure she sincerely believed the election was stolen.

glynch, No Worries, apollo33 and 4 others like this.