1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd Trump Impeachment Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jan 6, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I tend to agree. I predict that they could get 60 votes to remove but 67 just seems like too high of a bar.

No Worries likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I can't remeember what the math is now but Perdue is offically out of the Senate & Ossoff can technically be sworn in at any moment, I read yesterday.

Despite their endless capacity for disappointment, those that may have enough shreds of dignity left to convict include:

Collins (CONCERNOMETER HIGH)
    Murkowski
    Romeny (I know he said he wasn't in favor of it, but he voted yes once, I don't think he'd go back on that if he had to again)
    Toomey (retiring)
    Sasse
    Lindsay (if he's drunk)
    Mitch (? seems pretty ****ing mad)
    Loeffler (face turn)
    Cotton (face turn? he has been making a lot of noise)

Still well short of removal though, and they are all cowards.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump at least is back to his normal work schedule...

4. NewRoxFan

republicans must now finally see trump as an albatross around their collective necks...

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You have not being paying attention.

Collin's concern is very likely. Her vote, not so much.

There is no way in hell McConnell would allow an impeachment-removal vote before inauguration without additional, massive misbehavior from Trump. McConnell does not want the Senate Rs to be on record. Certainly the Senate Rs up for re-election in 20222 can not vote to remove Trump or they would get primaried and lose.

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NBC news with the same report...

7. Major

Major Member

Impeachment might succeed today. But if the House brings impeachment articles next Wednesday (Jan 13th) and votes on them then, and then the Senate starts consideration on Jan 14th, you're talking about the 18th or 19th before a vote probably. At that point, GOP Senators are going to do their usual excuse-making - "well, it's only 1 more day." etc.

I'm fine with whatever Dems pursue, but this is not going to succeed. So Dems have to make the calculation on (1) how important it is to make a statement vs (2) how does it affect Biden's agenda.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How could the GOP NOT want impeachment? He's a huge threat to the party if he runs again. I guess maybe only the QAnon states want him, but one of those states already flipped blue.

ArtV likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree and I wonder if the bee GOP impeachment noise is a lure to distract the Dems from focusing on the first 100 days of Biden.

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I agree, I want it to happen and think it should but I don't think it will, especially if they wait a week and the GOP goes back to there old ways of not caring and saving face. I don't want it to backfire and affect Biden coming in on the 20th.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think the criticism she took and the "he's learned his lesson" would make her feel pressured to vote yes this time.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I enjoy pure cane sugar in peach mint tea -- a delicious treat and state drink of Georgia a Democrat political stronghold.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Because they're so dependent on MAGA turnout at this point. Look at the Georgia elections. There was a relatively small dip in core Republican turnout in Northern Georgia and that cost them the election. The Republicans traded away their natural constituency (suburban voters) for the MAGA crowd and those MAGA voters vote a lot more infrequently than suburban voters.

The 2022 Senate elections will include Wisconsin, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. Republicans will lose all three if the MAGA vote bails on them.

Ziggy and Major like this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

WTF are you talking about?? Who exactly are you saying he sold out?

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

From multiple articles I've read, this would prevent Trump for running for president again, do you think maybe some Republican Senators would see that as an incentive? At this point, the Republicans are taking some hits to their base. Maybe a Republican like Mitt Romney could threaten to switch to being an independent which may convince Mitch McConnell to rally at least 20 senators to vote for impeachment.

I'm thinking there is that one advantage that may appeal to Republicans.

16. Major

Major Member

The problem is they still need the stupid MAGA people to vote for them. Their best case scenario is Trump goes quietly into the night and them not having to piss his supporters off more. Romney is principled, but he's a principled conservative. He dislikes Trump, but he has no interest in threatening or taking down the GOP.

17. Major

Major Member

Our resident progressives aren't going to like this, but keeping suburban voters in the Dem Party in a post-Trump world has to be the focus of the next 2 years. 2022 is a huge opportunity for Dems as well as a huge risk. 2024 is less of a big deal because Dems can still win the Presidency going back to 2016 or 2012 demographic map. But for 2022, they need that midterm turnout for the Dems, and that's suburban voters - to get breathing room both in the House and the Senate..

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How does Susan Collins feel about a second impeachment?

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The only way I see impeachment working is if ...

McConnell approaches Pelosi with the articles of impeachment that he guarantees with pass immediately in the Senate.
    Pelosi gets the impeachment vote in the House.
    McConnell approaches Trump with the sad news.
    Trump does his best Nixon impersonation and resigns on the spot.
    Pence does his best Ford impersonation and pardons Trump.

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No. NOW.

He can cause serious damage over the weekend and into middle of next week.

He is a national security risk and a threat.

ArtV, No Worries and Ziggy like this.