1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking 1-06-21: MAGA terrorist attack on Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Jan 6, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Another of trump's great accomplishments... alienating other countries who now can point at the United States and laugh...

2. NewRoxFan

Hopefully this will influence the remaining cabinet members and pence... or enough republican senators...

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think the media needs to do a much better job of covering the addiction many Americans have to the deranged conspiracies peddled by right wing grifters like Trump and creeps online. The documentaries on Heaven's Gate, NXIVM, etc are good, but we need mainstream shows and films on Q-anon and whatever the hell led people to murdering a police officer and killing themselves in an effort to take over the U.S. Capitol.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is what the Republicans are defending right now. This is what Mike Pence and the Cabinet are allowing.

Get him out of office!!

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The damage to US global image and "greatness" done over the past 4 years is off-the-charts - to the extent you cared about the US being a global superpower, able to project soft power all over the globe as much as sending aircraft carriers - that was the day that concept died forever. Due to Donald j. Trump

The damage is not fixable.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

le
    God damn Jimmy Neutron, they need to sue his ass, I know they could find plenty of lawyers.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking a lot about Michael Cohen's testimony from 2019. He said "He doesn’t give you questions, he doesn’t give you orders... He speaks in a code, and I understand the code because I’ve been around him for a decade.”

His followers have been around him - ingesting misinformation online, hearing messages like "trial by combat," "Stand back and stand by" and "We love you" - for five years. They understand what he says and what he doesn't say. They know how to read between the lines with a wink and a nod. While he didn't explicitly say "Go start an insurrection at the Capitol, ransack Nancy Pelosi's office and threaten lawmakers" he did give them permission and encouragement through innuendo and inaction (refusing to call in the National Guard). Once it was over, he told them he loved them and that they were "very special."

Trump and his supporters thrive in this ambiguity. Look at some of the posters here. They never say the worst version of what they're suggesting, but it's hinted at all of the time. They thrive in this ambiguity because it simultaneously allows them to communicate clearly and retain some level of plausible deniability. Simply put, it is infuriating.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

So what were you saying, maybe I misinterpreted.

9. NewRoxFan

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Couldn't this have been avoided if they had just blared the National Anthem on a loop?

jiggyfly, dookiester, K mf G and 2 others like this.
  11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

That didn't take long........he needs to feel the love from his base, there going to finance him for the rest of his life

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yes. Dems tend to be too forgiving, but their activities have culminated in multiple deaths. While they won't be charged with murder, all other crimes are there for a skilled prosecutor.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That last line says it all! White middle aged men carrying Trump flags will NOT be treated unfairly in any way shape or form. In fact, they can storm the damn Capitol and should be treated like heroes of Democracy.

I will walk down there with you he says, and we will storm the Capitol! Then he retreats like the manipulative coward he is, and watches the chaos from a distance laughing all the way.

Spoken by the Paper Balls Commander in Chief. His balls are on fire now, but have no fear, Dan the Seal will be there with Ted and Ken to put that fire out. Or...are they peeing on his fire now with their tiny peckers to put it out, as they pretend they have taken the side of Democracy and America?

#1013 deb4rockets, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  14. dookiester

dookiester Member

if it helps to show where there's common ground, i think most agree with your final point that all riots are bad and all deaths are bad. destruction of property and personal injury/death are not things to celebrate regardless of demographics involved.

if there was news praising destruction of property or injuring / killing people during last year's BLM protests, i must have missed it but i agree that would be wrong. but it doesn't mean we should ignore the context surrounding these events and try to equate results and expect similar reactions to those results. a blown PI call in a playoff game that costs the team the game is worse than a blown PI call in a preseason game that doesn't even impact the outcome of that particular drive. yes they both involve blown PI calls, but the implications and inequity of the 2 blown calls are orders of magnitude apart. both are upsetting, but it isn't hypocritical or even inconsistent to be more upset with one over the other.

in this case, last year's protests (some of which devolved into riots) were the culmination of a history of systemic oppression and inequities that date back to the founding of this country and continue into present day under more insidious and obfuscated mechanisms. multiple people of color murdered without cause by law enforcement with little consequence, year after year. these aren't opinions or beliefs - these are ugly facts that stain the history of our country. contrast that with what motivated the Jan 6 insurrection - allegations of fraud and election-stealing with 0 factual basis, fueled only by the incendiary rhetoric of right-wing extremists. further contrast that with the corresponding responses by law enforcement - people upset about a proven history of inequitable treatment were met with the full force of the law and then some, whereas people upset about fabricated lies that they either recklessly or willingly bought into were largely met with no resistance. i say all of this to provide the context for why someone being killed while trying to fight actual injustice is more upsetting than someone being killed while trying to fight a fictional injustice. it doesn't mean one killing is good and the other is bad - both killings are upsetting and it's truly awful that anybody died Jan 6, including the insurrectionists. but it's not hypocritical to have more sympathy for those killed fighting for something real than for those who worked themselves into a frenzy for a demagogue's conspiracy with no basis in reality.

not trying to argue with you, just trying to provide another perspective so maybe you can start to appreciate, even if you don't ultimately agree, why reactions should differ to the different scenarios even though they involve similar results (i.e. destruction of property and personal injury/death).

15. NewRoxFan

And this from one of the speakers at the trump rally that incited the riot and murderous attack on the capital...

16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

My hair is standing just thinking about the docu on this. Part of me wishes I never saw this, it's so disturbing.

seemoreroyals and dc rock like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

****in Jimmy Neutron.

What kind of entitled brat must you be to whine about a book deal after all the **** that is going down.

He really is Trump lite.

I bet MCconnell got some retribution for his ass since he lost the leadership.

This gunna be gud.

FrontRunner, VooDooPope and Xerobull like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Edit.

I see where you are going, I had to go back and read again.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Were the matador defense cops also Antifa?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She is better than Cooper, she nails it.

"Like he has not been arrested before" LOL.