1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Books that should be made into movies or series.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Jan 4, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

The Hyperion Cantos (or at least the first two books out of 4) needs to be turned into an animated series. I really think expansive sci fi/fantasy lends itself to animation.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It would be interesting if Sci Fi got the adult animation treatment like Castlevania or GITS, I would be all over this, seems like a no brainer for a Netflix project and would be cheaper.

Yung-T, dmoneybangbang and BamBam like this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my friends dad used to read moby dick once a year - haha.

ive read blood meridian at least a half dozen times. its the only book ive ever read where when i finished i immediately went back to the beginning and started over.

i read alot of history books (mainly texas and mexico) and theres several that ive read two or three times. mostly books about the texas revolution.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No time to sitdown and reread Confederacy of Dunces, but I started the audio version today and it is full of perfect theology and geometry. Wish I could have had these voices in my head when I read it some 20 years ago. It's on Audible.

Edit: TraderJorge does an excellent impersonation of Ignatius Reilly.

#44 JumpMan, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

lol wow

JumpMan likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Same here, any particular ones you love?

The Captured
    Empire of the Summer Moon
    Blood and Thunder
    The Son (fiction, but not really)
    Gates of the Alamo (fiction, but not really)
    Big Wonderful Thing
    Lone Star (non-fiction, TR Fehrenbach)
    Goodbye to a River
    Cult of Glory (haven't read this yet, but it's apparently the definitive history of the Texas Rangers)
    The Time it Never Rained, Elmer Kelton (fiction, sort of, but my dad grew up through this as a kid. He always said it was pretty much true)

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Moby Dick. That book is hilarious.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Huh...hilarious? Not the word I would use to describe it.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ive read a few on that list.

texas revolution books off the top of my head...

texian iliad - military history of the tex rev - focuses on strategy and tactics. very interesting with some cool illustrations.

duel of eagles - puts the rev in bigger context of U.S.-Mexico relations...entertaining read with some unsubstantiated claims such as houston and santa anna both being opium addicts. "revisionist" take and not afraid to break down our texas heroes.

exodus from the alamo - one of the more recent ones i read and definitely the most eye-opening. the premise is that on the morning of the assault most of the garrison made a break for it and was killed on open ground by cavalry southeast of the alamo. author makes a very convincing case to back up his argument by going back to overlooked primary sources, newspaper articles in the aftermath of the battle, recollections of mexican soldiers, mexican newspaper accounts and 2nd-hand accounts from anglos. its very well researched and will forever change the way you view the battle. discusses the importance of slavery in regards to the revolution and how mexico had abolished slavery. letters from austin about how santa anna is coming to free the slaves...statements from santa anna about how the americans are violating their laws by bringing in slaves and he wants to free them.

10. don grahamleone

Read chapter one again and think comedy the whole time. It changes the book. The main character cracks me up the way he justifies his terrible job and being forced to share a bed with a stranger. Hell, the book opens with “Call me Ishmael” yet that’s probably most likely not the character’s name! No one ever calls him that.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Journey to the End of the Night.

12. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

There are a lot of comedic moments but I don’t think I’d describe it as a comedy. “Call me Ishmael” is a biblical reference and sets the stage for his wandering. It’s also sort of a, “if you must call me something call me that because my real name is irrelevant. It’s a long story sort of like Ishmael’s.”

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. jcf

jcf Member

Michael Moorcock’s Eternal Champion work.

Start with Elric. Erekose. Corum.

Set up many of the concepts now used routinely.

jiggyfly and peleincubus like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Art of the Deal

FrontRunner likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

Agreed, but that same reference while being biblical and setting up the rest of the book, is also using irony. Irony is always funny to me and based on the rest of the book and especially the first chapter, I think it was meant as a joke. I think the whole book is Melville just musing along telling a story most people in that day were familiar with, but in a lighthearted way while mixing in heavy themes.

The original tale was written by one of the survivors: Narrative of the Most Extraordinary and Distressing Shipwreck of the Whale-Ship Essex

I believe this being a non-fiction book on the event and the guy at the time had the only eye witness account that was published, this left room for people of the day to call his unbelievable tale bullshit. I think Melville was calling the tale bullshit too throughout his entire telling of his own whale tale. And while he was writing about the tall tale, he fabricated even more after being inspired by the original bullshitter.

I agree that this book has some masterful weaving in of themes like equality, diversity, mental health issues, and man's mental flexibility that allows them to unwisely follow a fool to despair. The book is a masterpiece, but I think it's a masterpiece in comedy often drawing you out of the joke due to an odd way of saying things.

Let's take chapter 32 where an imbecile of a man whose job on the ship is to be a spotter on the top of the front mast basket, claims to be an expert on whales and calls this chapter Cetology. Many of those named whales never really get used in real life and his descriptions of real whales are so poor, it seems unlikely he could have possibly been trying to actually identify the whales correctly. Especially considering where Melville lived and would have seen whaling first hand. He declares them fish. I mean the fact that he's even using this character to sound like an expert is comedic. It's the character's first try a whaling and all of a sudden he's an expert on all whales? Melville knew what he was doing and it had to be musing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but once I started to see the comedy in the tale it clicked with me. Before that I didn't understand what was going on. This book would make a pretty good cartoon with the characters. None of them feel real. Maybe the kid Pip felt real, but that was it. I personally believe this was because Pip was based on the second survivor of a true story of the Essex. Personally I think you're taking the book too seriously if you're not seeing musings weaved throughout.

16. Buck Turgidson

Paramount Pictures is making a deal with Edgar Wright to develop to direct a new adaptation of The Running Man, the futuristic novel by Stephen King that the author first published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. This won’t be a remake of the 1987 film that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger; the Baby Driver writer-director will co-write the story with Michael Bacall, and they will be much more faithful to King’s bestselling novel. Bacall will write the script.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/edgar-...ctures-simon-kinbergs-genre-films-1234697279/

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not sure if anyone already said this, because I didn't read the whole thread...but i've hoped for years that someone would tell the World War Z stories through a series that hopped from place to place as the book did.

EDIT: It appears that Cheetah already made this suggestion, once again infringing on my rights and freedoms.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Have you read the graphic novel or any of the other WWZ-related stuff?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's No Moon

My Life story by MadMax

MadMax likes this.
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, just the book. And saw the movie, which I liked just fine...but it was more like a movie inspired by the book, honestly. I know a lot of people hated it, but I thought it was ok.