1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Pat’s connection. My bad.

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sell the team.

I have a friend who is friends with an editor at the Chron. A couple friends are floating the idea of taking out an ad urging Cal to sell the team.

gatsby, joshuaao, Jturbofuel and 3 others like this.
  4. conquistador#11

It's an embarrassment. It's a tragedy. Rivers McCown had videos of Easterby 'preaching gospel' and it made me be thankful for Joel Osteen. The guy is a train wreck with a mic and this is the guy the Mcnairs have put their faith in.

Kim and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This is his Hakeem moment
    Championship incoming
    Watson please give Caserio and new coach a chance
    Just give the new team next year a chance

See how dumb that sounds...some of y’all saying this about harden

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Ian Rapoport on 790 on Caserio: "I would say based on what I know about Nick Caserio, his background, the work he's done in New England, his reputation around the league, I think it is an excellent, excellent, excellent hire... A lot of teams have tried to hire him, he has resisted and wanted to stay put... He has a great reputation around the league... He brings everything you could bring as a GM from scouting prowess to knowledge of the cap to understanding value to knowing how to build a building to knowing what works in building a championship... Nick Caserio is one of the most qualified GM candidates we have seen in the last 10 years since I've been doing this, I think it is going to be an excellent hire."

Who has more power in the building, Jack Easterby or Nick Caserio? "Nick Caserio by a lot. Not my opinion, that is what I know."

"Caserio will be able to do what other GMs do: interview and recommend a HC to the owner, hope owner agrees."

Mentioned Brian Daboll, Robert Saleh, Joe Brady, Arthur Smith, and possibly Todd Bowles as guys they'll interview. "Usually coaching hires will happen from next week to the AFC/NFC championship games weekend."

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Love the hire

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Caserio has signed a six-year contract worth $6 million annually that includes annual $1 million bonuses and options for a seventh and eighth year, according to sources.”

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Love it

Now hire Brady and give him 5 year deal as well

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Could also be that the Texans didn’t believe that Caserio would be interested in coming to the Texans. He signed a long term extension with New England after the tampering situation.

Then Easterby prolly got word from Caserio about his interest and referred that to Cal.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

This morning on 97.5 LZ said he heard from a reliable source that everyone they interviewed told the team if Easterby is in the building they wouldn't take the job, and they hired the one guy who didn't say that and wasn't set up to be interviewed by the search firm they hired.

13. conquistador#11

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd donate

rusHour and Two Sandwiches like this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It would make me genuinely wonder if maybe the Texans were actually some government social experiment designed to study the long-term of effects of purposefully trying to drive someone insane.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Waste of Money. Give to me instead.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I..... find this a little hard to believe, on multiple levels. Just me?

How would any source know that unless they were in the room for - how many interviews did they conduct? 5-6? I'm guessing there aren't many present (McNair, Rootes, maybe head of HR.... ?) Not to mention, I've interviewed for jobs before - I'm sure many of you have, too: do you make a lot of demands in those interviews or tell them something you know they don't want to hear? You don't exactly have leverage. "Do what I want or I won't work here" generally only works when they've offered you the job - not when you're openly competing with others for the position. Remember stories of Kubiak being asked if he could work with David Carr and saying yes? It's generally a good idea to tell your prospective employer what they want to hear if you really want the job.

It's clear - right or wrong (probably right) - that Easterby is the new whipping boy - every fan's boogey man; the easy blame for every wrong. And he may very well earn that - I have no idea & won't pretend to (though that article... ugh. He sounds AWFUL).

But stories like job candidates demanding McNair fire what sure seems like a close confidant - which, IMO, fails a common sense test - seem designed to play to that base and fan the flame.

#317 Hey Now!, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    csj, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can’t wait for all the softball questions and cliche answers.

rusHour, Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  20. conquistador#11

I think they just took obvious situations to make that story. For example, these potential gms have connections. They talk and they know what easterby is about. Who would want the job having to watch their backs 24/7. So it's easy to say so and so declined it because more than likely that tends to happen in toxic working environments. We already saw today with Snuffleupagus or whatever the Colts DC name is, declining to interview with the Texans but is taking one from the Jets.

The Mcnairs have also been known to make demands like it was later known that Kubiak was asked if he could fix Carr during his interview.

Using that info I could write something about Cal asking these gms if they could work with the easterby man lurking around and there would be some truth to it because the Mcnairs tend to do ish like that. ie calling Dungy asking him how to be a winner.

I want the Bills to lose so that Daboll can be named coach already.