1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Difference between BLM and Storming the Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

After watching what's been going on here, I'll say this:

The difference between BLM and Storming the Capitol can be summed up by two quotes I've heard over the course of the whole thing. I'll paraphrase because it's been a while.

Ben Shapiro, in describing BLM and someone saying the protests have been mostly peaceful: "OJ Simpson had a mostly peaceful day the day he killed his wife."

A representative on Fox News just now (didn't catch who it was, may have been Gaetz): "These protestors were 99% peaceful. They're tired of systematically not being given a voice. Your normal recourse to cancel culture, far wing politics, and things you don't like is an election. When you don't have that, I'm not surprised this happened."

Hmmmmm.

I'm a white male, and I'm sick of it. I feel for those of you that have been systemically singled out.

mikol13, joshuaao, ipaman and 3 others like this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I posted this in another thread...

3 scenarios...

Football players kneel during anthem

Trump: Fire the SOBs

George Floyd protests:

Trump: when the looting starts the shooting starts

Trump mob storms the US capitol during election process

Trump: Time for y'all to go home. We love you and thank you

#2 bobrek, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  3. Two Sandwiches

Was coming back to my own thread to post something similar. All these people that were storming the US Capitol building yesterday are the ones that were most outraged by a couple of sports players kneeling for the national anthem. Ironic isn't it?

4. bobrek

It's pretty blatant. All you have to do is look and hear with open eyes and ears.

Trump supporters are reconciling yesterday by comparing it to BLM and Antifa protests/rioting. Fine...go ahead and compare. BUT, now reconcile the president's own words to the events. Justify them.

I did forget to include that he also said "thank you".

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

One is using a grievous wrong to get free stuff or just tear stuff up for fun.

The other is being lead by lies to trying to overthrow the government so that a narcissist crackpot can remain in power. This is far more unamerican than the other and yet they think they are the patriots.

Again I didn't know there were that many crackpots in the US.

Patience and Newlin like this.
  6. bobrek

Of course they "think" they're patriots. The President of the USA, congressmen, the media and the president's family tell them so.

Patience and Invisible Fan like this.
  7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't forget the inevitable wrongful death suit for cape lady. White mother of two, military veteran.

9. Two Sandwiches

She better not get anything except a posthumous criminal record and dishonorable discharge so her vet benefits are taken away.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This where I'm different than most here. I personally think when you start destroying stuff and setting stuff on fire, you deserve to get shot by the cops. That goes for BLM and that goes for the MAGA crowd.

However, I'm additionally disturbed that the situation yesterday was encourage and incited by the sitting president of the united states. BLM was a grass roots movement which will include a host of character with different motivations. Yesterday on the other hand was led by the leader of the free world.

Lar, Patience, DFWRocket and 3 others like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The people involved in BLM protests seem much more diverse than those participating in the MAGA protests yesterday.

As far as activists who take it a step further beyond "peaceful protest" by engaging in violence and destruction, it's tempting to argue that BLM violence/destruction is more justified because they are on the right side of history. But I think that's a mistake. First of all, not every claim from BLM activists is factual. All political activists/ideologues are vulnerable to misinformation and biased thinking. Also, as soon as you give one side license to commit violence/destruction as a political act, the opposing side will take that as sufficient justification to do the same.

ROXRAN likes this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

She should win a wrongful death suit. Get her children taken care of. She should have been tazed not shot

14. rockbox

She broke into the capitol building. She deserved to get shot. I would say this if this was BLM protest also. You start rioting, all bets are off. She wasn't an innocent bystander.

edwardc, Lar, Patience and 2 others like this.
  15. ROXRAN

I gotta say even tho we don’t often agree you really approach topics with rationale and fair thinking without being condescending or anything that detracts ...well done and appreciate

edwardc likes this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Most veteran benefits die with you.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. ROXRAN

It was kinda shocking, his words weren’t needed and frankly he should never had a rally there. It didn’t help

18. Two Sandwiches

Just so we're clear, weren't you defending Kyle Rittenhouse?

19. rockbox

Not shocking at all really. What is shocking is all his enablers that let it get this far. Putin couldn't have scripted this better if he was pulling the strings directly.

Patience and Newlin like this.
  20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

That's the consequence of breaking and entering, sometimes you pay with your life.