1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is fair. But wouldn’t it be safe to say that the product on the field, especially this past season, is a direct result of the front office?

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes. And they fired the person (we think) was responsible for it.

I do not LOVE the move.... I don't even really like it. I wanted scorched earth. But... let's see what happens. He gets to make an immediate statement with the head coach. Anxious to see where he goes.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL Allbright got bad sources.

“Bieniemy “likely” to Texans!”
    ”Not that many teams interested in Bieniemy!”

..a month ago.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You keep touting this narrative...

In the end, Houston supports winners in all sports. They support a winning football team exceedingly well, perhaps better than they do the other sports (also, because its easier to get up for 16-18 games a year, 8 home games, vs. 82, 162, etc.)

They also get extremely frustrated/angry at teams that don't perform well... moreso the football team vs. any other sport.

Its completely irrational and the nature of sports in general... but nobody will care about the owner if this team ends up winning. Years of following Bud Adams should have taught you that lesson a long time ago.

Houston will always fall in love with the football team when they win games... and then likely get their hearts broken.

7. Hey Now!

I'm hard-leaning Eberflus.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

The Texans won 10 and 11 games in '18 and '19. They have one of the three best QBs in football. I don't love the hire - but Nick Caserio has a chance to hire a competent coaching staff that could make this team better overnight. I don't think any of that is blind optimism. I just don't reflexively hate everything because I'm too lazy to consider each decision on their own merit.

I don't know *anything* about any of the guys; any of the coaches; any of the players... and neither do any of you. But rather than judge a hire by pretending I *do* know something, I prefer to wait and see how it plays out on the field.

It's crazy that *that* perspective is considered blind homerism.

csj likes this.
  9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if this moves Jerod Mayo higher up the board?

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You just made my point here. The key here is winning. The Oilers didn't win squat under Bud Adams yet Houston football fans STILL had faith that things would change. It's ALL they had to go on. Now it's all Texans fans have to go on also. Add to that dynamic that in this state Houston professional football is all but invisible because of the Cowboys cult and you can understand why Houston football fans continue to do so. They literally have nowhere else to go. You are correct when you point out: if this team ends up winning then all will be well. I can remember the feeling during the Luv Ya Blue years and I want all Houston football fans to experience that feeling once again. But given the ****ed up process we've just witnessed I'm beyond cynical at this point that's something I will ever live to see.

IBTL and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.radio.com/sportsradio610/sports/houston-texans/mcclain-on-texans-easterby-not-responsible-for-caserio-hire

Now that they have a GM, the Texans, who went 4-12 this season, need to find a head coach.

“I think it could be Brian Daboll,” McClain said of Buffalo’s offensive coordinator. “He worked with Caserio for years, won five Super Bowls; Caserio had six. I know they really like Jim Caldwell. They have others: [Colts defensive coordinator] Matt Eberflus, [Titans offensive coordinator] Arthur Smith. I hope they interview [49ers defensive coordinator] Robert Saleh. So they’ve got a long way to go in their coaching search.”

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Would be fine with any of those except Caldwell

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Don’t have the full article

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Candidates listed and discussed:
    Brian Daboll
    Current role: Bills offensive coordinator

Jerod Mayo
    Current role: Patriots inside linebackers coach

Josh McDaniels
    Current role: Patriots offensive coordinator

Joe Brady
    Current role: Panthers offensive coordinator

Arthur Smith
    Current role: Titans offensive coordinator

Matt Eberflus
    Current role: Colts defensive coordinator

zeeshan2 likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doesn’t matter Brian. Not a culture fit Brian.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

For months, Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair has said the team’s new general manager would assist in picking its next head coach. Now we know that GM is former Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, who on Tuesday evening agreed to join the Texans.

So whom might Caserio bring to Houston? Here are coaches the Texans have interviewed or plan to interview, as well as others with connections to Caserio from his time in New England, where the 45-year-old has spent the entirety of his NFL career — until now.

Brian Daboll
    Current role: Bills offensive coordinator

Caserio connection: Daboll had two stints with the Patriots: one from 2000-06, spent mostly as their wide receivers coach, and another from 2013-16, spent mostly as the tight ends coach. He then worked as Alabama’s offensive coordinator for one year before taking on his role with the Bills. Daboll is represented by prominent agent Bob Lamonte, who also represents Caserio and Texans executive VP of football operations Jack Easterby, another former Patriots staffer.

What he’s got going for him:Daboll’s offense has improved every year he’s been in Buffalo. The Bills ranked 31st in offensive DVOA in 2018, 21st in 2019 and now fifth. Daboll has worked with quarterback Josh Allen, a very raw prospect coming out of Wyoming, during that span. Allen has played like a top-five quarterback this year, according to most metrics, and is a large reason the Bills are the No. 2 seed in the AFC.

Jerod Mayo
    Current role: Patriots inside linebackers coach

Caserio connection: In addition to spending two seasons as New England’s inside linebackers coach, Mayo spent his entire eight-year playing career (2008-15) with the Patriots. He was an All-Pro in 2010.

What he’s got going for him: Mayo is just 34, but Bill Belichick has tapped him as a rising star. According to MassLive, Mayo is the only Patriots position coach ever hired by Belichick without a year of experience coaching in his system or elsewhere in the NFL or major-college ranks. Belichick has said Mayo’s experience as a player in New England’s defense has been valuable when discussing strategic tweaks.

Dolphins head coach Brian Flores, who has appeared to be a good hire through his first two seasons in Miami, worked as the Patriots’ linebackers coach before taking his current job. But Flores spent 11 seasons on New England’s coaching staff and another four in its scouting department.

Josh McDaniels
    Current role: Patriots offensive coordinator

Caserio connection: McDaniels joined the Patriots in 2001, just like Caserio, and has spent 12 seasons as New England’s offensive coordinator across two stints.

What he’s got going for him:Though Belichick is a defensive-minded coach, New England’s offense was the stronger unit during the Super Bowl seasons when McDaniels served as a coordinator. But he went 11-17 in less than two full seasons as Broncos head coach and backed out of the Colts’ head-coaching job on 2018, leading to Indianapolis hiring Frank Reich.

Partly because of a lack of talent, McDaniels’ offense this season was one of his worst. The Patriots ranked 23rd in offensive DVOA in quarterback Cam Newton’s first year with the team.

So far during this hiring cycle, no outlet has reported that a team has requested to interview McDaniels.

Joe Brady
    Current role: Panthers offensive coordinator

Caserio connection: None

What he’s got going for him: Before joining the Panthers this season, Brady, 31, spent one year as LSU’s passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. He played a large role in the development of quarterback Joe Burrow, who won the Heisman Trophy, led LSU to a national title and went No. 1 in the draft.

Brady interviewed with the Texans on Tuesday. He’s the third head-coaching candidate to interview after former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell.

Arthur Smith
    Current role: Titans offensive coordinator

What he’s got going for him: Smith, 38, has spent most of his coaching career with the Titans. In two years as Tennessee’s offensive coordinator, he’s overseen the revival of quarterback Ryan Tannehill’s career in a play-action-heavy scheme that ranks fourth in offensive DVOA this season. That’s made him a hot commodity. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that every team with a head-coaching vacancy plans to interview Smith.

Matt Eberflus
    Current role: Colts defensive coordinator

What he’s got going for him:Eberflus spent eight seasons as the defensive coordinator at Missouri before jumping to the NFL, where he coached linebackers for the Browns and Cowboys before becoming Reich’s defensive coordinator in Indianapolis in 2018. He has a lot of autonomy and has overseen the development of multiple rising stars, including All-Pro linebacker Darius Leonard and safeties Julian Blackmon and Khari Willis.

NFL Network reported the Texans and Jets have requested to interview him.

zeeshan2 and J.R. like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member